Quantcast

9-speed parts

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My road bike hasn't had a new drivetrain for about 10 years. I realize it's about time. I also realize sufficient time has gone by that these parts are a few generations old and becoming scarce. I'd love to keep my current setup going – I just want to swap the current cassette, chain, chainrings. They are ultegra 6500. You can find them in stock and ready to ship on bike24 to non-north american addresses. I can't seem to find something comparable for north america. Any suggestions?

11-27 cassette

HG93 chain

Chainrings

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how about a 12-27 instead?

Or an 11-28...

chain

chainrings

Road stuff is great sometimes...plenty of availability even for old shit.
My trainer bike is 24sp 3x8. Just fine for ERG mode, but surprisingly frustrating for rolling terrain (which zwift seems to love). I might tighten my cluster at some point (and replace the chain)....will be nice to be able to find cheap cassettes otu there.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
how about a 12-27 instead?

Or an 11-28...

chain

chainrings

Road stuff is great sometimes...plenty of availability even for old shit.
My trainer bike is 24sp 3x8. Just fine for ERG mode, but surprisingly frustrating for rolling terrain (which zwift seems to love). I might tighten my cluster at some point (and replace the chain)....will be nice to be able to find cheap cassettes otu there.
Thanks for the links. I suppose I was just looking in the wrong spots. It seems like those amazon cassettes are being shipped from the uk… which is fine by me, but how does shimano work in thr americas? LBS?

Will order up a bunch of these for the bike and parts bin.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
But yeah, just to follow up. It is tempting to go to 10 or 11 speed to be up with the times and future proof the bike to some extent, but that would involve a lot of expense and potentially new wheels. As it sits now, the bike is brilliant for its usage and has plenty of miles left on it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for the links. I suppose I was just looking in the wrong spots. It seems like those amazon cassettes are being shipped from the uk… which is fine by me, but how does shimano work in thr americas? LBS?

Will order up a bunch of these for the bike and parts bin.
Just my experience, I ordered a "cheap" X01 11 speed cassette from the Amazon Global Store UK thingy. What turned up a couple of weeks later was an NX cassette in a second hand X01 box. Took a few weeks to get my money back.

I figured that must be something to do with how they sell returns and someone had ripped them off.

Try hunting on ebay and see if you can see anything of the vintage you're looking for.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But yeah, just to follow up. It is tempting to go to 10 or 11 speed to be up with the times and future proof the bike to some extent, but that would involve a lot of expense and potentially new wheels. As it sits now, the bike is brilliant for its usage and has plenty of miles left on it.
I could be wrong but I believe the hyperglide stuff shouldn't require a new hub. I put 11spd xt on some old 9 spd hubs, but that was mountain.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
11 speed road cassettes are wider than 11 speed mountain. I don't recall if 10 speed have the same issue - probably.

It depends on the older hub as to whether you can get them to fit and the lock ring to engage.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think 11 is the one that needs a wider freehub. 10s is OK. Once you have an 11sp compatible freehub, everything else is compatible. I have seen some 11s cassettes machined to fit 10s hubs...they just take a few mm out of the big cog so it slides over the machined lip.

MT cassettes use bigger cogs that actually go out over the spokes, clearing the freehub. Can't do that with a 25t.