Quantcast

Alibayexpress parts you love

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone bought a presta inflator for a compressor off Ali? Anyone recommend one? The Park INF-2 is $250 AUD which is ridiculous. The Prestaflator Mini would be ideal but they're still $70 AUD for some reason.

Don't need a built in gauge, just a Presta head for a compressor
did you ever find one? Mine's getting kinda old and slipping a bit. Could be time to replace it...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I recently picked up this one. I am using it with a shitty pancake compressor that someone gave me, so inflation power and speed isn't very good. It's certainly not blasting hard-to-seat tires onto my rims.

As far as the unit itself, I hate the plastic flip-lever inflator head, but that is par for the course: most plastic flip-lever heads that I have on floor pumps are mediocre as well. This head neads to be held squarely onto the valve stem with my other hand or else air leaks around the valve, but again that is common for most plastic lever heads I've used.

I plan to modify this to take a Lezyne-style screw-on presta head. (Yes, I'm aware of the valve unscrewing issue with those too.)
The rest of the prestaflator unit seems fine, though it seems like a $25 item, not $50.

did you ever find one? Mine's getting kinda old and slipping a bit. Could be time to replace it...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Any of you ebay / Ali experts find a Chinese knockoff of the $90 SRAM Ultimate Piston Spreader yet? Looks like a nice tool, but no way I'm paying $90 for that.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Any of you ebay / Ali experts find a Chinese knockoff of the $90 SRAM Ultimate Piston Spreader yet? Looks like a nice tool, but no way I'm paying $90 for that.
I use a small c clamp from harbor freight that I ground the head down to fit in the calipers. Do 1 piston at a time.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've got tire levers and the Park piston pusher for doing 1 or 2 pistons at a time from 1 side. What I like about the idea of the SRAM one is that it pushes both sides back evenly. I figure that it's probably better for the seals & such.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have an original prestaflator with the push on chuck.
I got a few rubber sealing doughnuts at the same time, but the last one is about half done. I should start to look for its replacement. I don't like the removal by pulling sharply and hoping you don't sever a finger on a brake rotor though.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I need a new derailleur, so I started to look and then got sidetracked looking at Aliexpress stuff.

Then started reading about real Shimano parts being sold from Asia, on there.

Then saw someone posted these pics, of brand new Shimano stuff being sent to the recycling. The boxes got wet or something?

Just a random post.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I had to locally rebuy the XT rear mech I bought from aliexpress, not because it was counterfeit but because they shipped it in just a bag and it got bent in some way I couldn’t figure out how to bend back and it never shifted right. New one shifted fine.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I had to locally rebuy the XT rear mech I bought from aliexpress, not because it was counterfeit but because they shipped it in just a bag and it got bent in some way I couldn’t figure out how to bend back and it never shifted right. New one shifted fine.
You probably got one of those salvaged from the recycling containers @canadmos just posted (?)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
woody on here bought an XT derailleur setup through ali or ebay or something and didn't want to run it because he thought it was fake. It looked like the best damned replica I had ever seen- I couldn't tell it from a real one with both in hand. I know that there are some very high end knockoffs out there, but I have some doubts that most of the branded stuff sold on there is "off-the-truck" real.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
woody on here bought an XT derailleur setup through ali or ebay or something and didn't want to run it because he thought it was fake. It looked like the best damned replica I had ever seen- I couldn't tell it from a real one with both in hand. I know that there are some very high end knockoffs out there, but I have some doubts that most of the branded stuff sold on there is "off-the-truck" real.
Nah, those are legit, but if you look at the back the model/serial number/lot number has been sanded off. We used to buy a lot of Shimano parts and SRAM brakes from ebay sellers about 5-7 years ago.

They were most likely bought by generic commuting bike brands and then resold outside the APAC area via ebay.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Nah, those are legit, but if you look at the back the model/serial number/lot number has been sanded off. We used to buy a lot of Shimano parts and SRAM brakes from ebay sellers about 5-7 years ago.

They were most likely bought by generic commuting bike brands and then resold outside the APAC area via ebay.
yeah mine even has the same weird green grease in it that the local one did.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No friends in the trade? it's definitely worth £40.
It is a great (workshop) tool. I don't really care how "nice" it or any other tools "look" so long as they're functional and durable. And this tool is extremely functional and a joy to use. In the workshop it paid for itself within a few days and continues reducing the time we used to spend fucking about trying to get pistons retracted smoothly and evenly. Sorted out an ancient set of Elixrs morning that honestly wouldn't really have been worth the labour without it.
It's kinda specific to SRAM calipers (and not even ideal for old Avids) so I'm looking forward to the inevitable universal knock off versions

Ps. Genuine 3M 2228 Mastic tape is a lot cheaper from Alixpress too

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yeah mine even has the same weird green grease in it that the local one did.
That green/clear/neon grease that comes on Shimano stuff is magical. I don't know how many times I have hosed off my bike, but I bet if I took the crank off, that stuff would still be packed in there.

Is it the same as the stuff that's called "Shimano Premium Grease? If it is, its expensive.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

I think I remember Rockshox forks with their serial numbers sanded off being sold on Facebook in my country a few years ago.