Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith's A.T. Thru Hike Thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Muscle relaxers.
Yes that would be awesome. But unfortunately my go to flavor, Orphenadrine (Norflex), has been discontinued in the US. Used to keep a bottle on hand at all times just in case. It unlocks a muscle spasm very quickly where as some of the other meds are time released.

Know of any quick acting exoskeletal muscle relaxers ?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yes that would be awesome. But unfortunately my go to flavor, Orphenadrine (Norflex), has been discontinued in the US. Used to keep a bottle on hand at all times just in case. It unlocks a muscle spasm very quickly where as some of the other meds are time released.

Know of any quick acting exoskeletal muscle relaxers ?
My doctor gave me cyclobenzaprine when I tore a muscle in my back, worked wonders for me.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
My doctor gave me cyclobenzaprine when I tore a muscle in my back, worked wonders for me.
Not sure, but Flexeril may have been discussed with a physician. Since it's primarily an antidepressant, then it might not be so great for exoskeletal muscles. However a friend said it helped him a lot with his arthritic neck.

I have this one book marked. Might have been when I picked a P.A.'s brain while taking my dad to the VA. :D

If I don't leave on Monday because of this, then I'm definitely making an appointment with my Dr. to get a prescription. I know one tab of Orphenadrine would end this in a few hours. So frustrating.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Anyone notice withdrawal type symptoms when stopping Cyclobenzaprine ?
I was told by my Doc not to take them regularly. Not because of withdrawals or addiction, just that one develops a tolerance. I take Cyclobenzaprine for my shoulders, but only as needed, which these days seems to be maybe once a twice a week, if that. As an exapmle of how often I take them, I got my last 30 day supply back in september and am down to two. Your milage will vary of course. Like @jonKranked, I definitely notice some hard starts on mornings if I've taken them more than two days a in a row.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No, not really. But for me the groginess sets in pretty much within a couple of hours of taking it. Like I'm drunk or something. Then I feel like I have a wicked hangover the next day. It renders me unable to work. My brother took it for an extended period of time and he found he eventually got used to it, and could fuction normally. After a while, it didn't work well for him. He's now taking gabapentin, which I also tried. It blocks signals in your nerves I think, but it did nothing for me. It seemed to work miracles for my brother. I guess it all comes down to what the vehicle for your pain is, and finding the right medicine to address that pathway.

When I feel back tightness coming on (actually, more of a stabbing pain where my ribs attach to my spine) I'll take meloxicam. It's an anti inflammatory. It seems to work well for me, as long as I take it early enough.

Oh, I also take CBD daily now (at night - I find it helps me sleep too), but I've found it helps reduce the intensity of my back pain.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I was told by my Doc not to take them regularly. Not because of withdrawals or addiction, just that one develops a tolerance. I take Cyclobenzaprine for my shoulders, but only as needed, which these days seems to be maybe once a twice a week, if that. As an exapmle of how often I take them, I got my last 30 day supply back in september and am down to two. Your milage will vary of course. Like @jonKranked, I definitely notice some hard starts on mornings if I've taken them more than two days a in a row.
I can keep a 20 count bottle of Orphenadrine for a couple years and maybe take two. If taken after a car accident or DH crash it can prevent a spasm. And it can unlock a siezed back and chest in a few hours. Totally knocked me on my ass the first few times. Powerful med for sure.

Cyclobenzaprine might not be as potent but I’m willing to try. Hell, anything short of a truck stop massage I’m down for if it gets me on trail.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
First round of Cyclobenzaprine down the hatch. Hopefully one or two days of eating muscle relaxers will finish loosening up back and now fatigued chest muscles. String together at least two days of no inflammation then I can reschedule my itinerary and get to some long distance wandering.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
First round of Cyclobenzaprine down the hatch. Hopefully one or two days of eating muscle relaxers will finish loosening up back and now fatigued chest muscles. String together at least two days of no inflammation then I can reschedule my itinerary and get to some long distance wandering.
Take 'er easy the rest of the evening

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Update: My back is feeling a whole lot better. Just booked my itinerary for the third time. Hopefully this is the one that doesn’t get cancelled. Have to pack my food, a couple of resupply boxes and take care of a few details then I’m outta here.

Will start a new thread (with Venmo link) when I get down there.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Bump

So as some of you will remember I made an attempt at the Appalachian Trail last year and had to quit 534 miles in due to a sprained foot. I sat in a hotel room in Marion, VA deciding what to do. To rest and continue to the unofficial half way point at Harper's Ferry WV and go back there the following year to complete the other half of the trail. While not a thru hike doing the whole trial in two sections would be an acceptable consolation prize. Or throw in the towel and go go back to the beginning the following year and re-hike the first fourth.

I am heading back down to N GA in a few weeks to start over.

My itinerary has been booked and I'm getting everything in order.

Getting nervous but feeling confident since I return not as a newbie but as full on Hiker Trash.

And I will of course start a new thread once I get to the first town stop or Hostel.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Currently holed up in a hotel waiting on a storm with a cold front to pass. Lots of hikers getting off trail. Been a rough few days since my tent has failed me. Will start the 2024 thread while I’m here. But first much sleeps.

Hope everyone is doing well.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
bummer about the tent. That's kind of why I stayed away from ultralights. I have spent too many trips getting hit by serious storms to trust any tent that's not 3+ season rated when I am in the middle of BFE and its going to take multiple days to get the hell out of the mountains. Hell I didn't trust the rainfly sealant on my solo tent so I stripped it and redid the fly with a urethane coating. I can hit it with a hard stream nozzle from the garden hose and nothing leaks.

get a better tent and press on AM we are rooting for you

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wishing you good luck. Please do share some updates and photos. You have a crew over here rooting for you.