Quantcast

Anyone else outraged by this?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't see why you're outraged about this. I'd be outraged myself if we were shipping felons off to Siberia to work at mines, or executing their families, but this statistic really doesn't bother me.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
The outrageous part of all this is that a recent report I read (forgive me for not remembering where) stated taxpayers contribute more towards healthcare in prisons and jails that we do on government subsidised healthcare given to anyone else COMBINED.

The next major injury I get, I'll rob a bank and have my treatment given to me free! That and three squares a day...

If I can figure our how to keep Bubba off my "back" I'll be set.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Does anyone else read the economist? They had a great cover story in their 8/10 - 8/16 issue about this very issue. The proportion of the US population in prison has sky-rocketed recently, and we're doing an almost non-existent job of reforming our criminals. We basically take common criminals and TURN THEM INTO lifetime criminals...

Sweet.

Originally posted by ohio
Does anyone else read the economist? They had a great cover story in their 8/10 - 8/16 issue about this very issue. The proportion of the US population in prison has sky-rocketed recently, and we're doing an almost non-existent job of reforming our criminals. We basically take common criminals and TURN THEM INTO lifetime criminals...
Agreed. One of the guys who goes to my church is a security guard in the county prison, and he essentially says the system is 'designed' to fail. I'm not sure if I would say it's designed to 'fail' but I would definitely say that the programs in place aren't working too well.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
One in 32 Americans either behind bars, on parole or probation? I don't even know where to start with this. I'm feeling sh*tty this Monday. Thanks...

:( :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Spud
One in 32 Americans either behind bars, on parole or probation? I don't even know where to start with this. I'm feeling sh*tty this Monday. Thanks...

:( :(
What's even scarier is that 1 in 140ish American adults (going by their figures) works for Wal-Mart. :eek: :D

spookysim

Chimp
May 29, 2002
london uk
Build more prisons
fill them
creates better criminals
who re-offend on release.

Write stricter laws for re-offenders,
petty criminals, minor drug offences,
in a bid to 'clean up the streets',
puts more people in prison.
Until they are full and guess what

you have to build more.

All of which wholly ignores the root, the causes of contemporary social disruption. The reasons normal people commit crime, the factors which lead normative behaviour to become criminal.
-Messy.

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia
Originally posted by shocktower
You can thank Regan for some of this ,more crime meens more cops which meens more jails and so on and so on :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

three more ideas that follow your logic

#1 the interduction of a slow working deadly decease(SP) to the population, to increase the need for doctors and other medical professionals. Now it would have to be something that is fairly contagous but kills in long slow painful method so people will need to be treated and new hospitals built to house them. The funeral business will also enjoy record growth.

#2 increasing the number of teacher in schools by having the teachers teach less and less and not holding them accountable. Then calling for smaller and smaller class sizes. A good goal for this plan would be 5 students per teacher.

#3 And My Favorite. Giving Chemical Biological and Nuclear weapons to countries like Irag, Iran. Lebia(SP) and North Korea.
this would more then justife the need for higher Military spending. Plus if we throw in a few ICBM it will help the Missile Defense Program get increased funding. Pequrment and operational budgets of all three services could be increased by record numbers. Un employment would be reduced by the need for new high tech weapons,,lots of work for those people laid off in sillicon Valley.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i dont even want to get started on how ridiculous it is that so many people are incarcerated over and over again for minor drug offenses. its nauseating.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Originally posted by laura
i dont even want to get started on how ridiculous it is that so many people are incarcerated over and over again for minor drug offenses. its nauseating.
Unless you are the lilly white Daughter of the Governor of Florida. Now if she was living in the projects in Chicago, they could evict here family out of their state subsidized housing... While she's serving time But that's not the Govenor's mansion..

Or maybe say Tim Allen who sold $43,000 of coke to cops. Oh but that was powdered coke, not crack... 60 days for Mr. Allen I believe. :rolleyes:

Sep 10, 2001
Vancouver, BC
Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our taxes paying for your wars
Against the new non-rich,
They're trying to build a prison,
All research and successful drug policy show
That treatment should be increased,
And law enforcement decreased,
While abolishing mandatory minimum sentences.

-System of a Down - Prison Song

I'm not sure what my take on this si, but your points sound a lot like this song.