Quantcast

Cancer

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I know that sometimes this is just a stupid message board where most of us joke and post memes.

But it's been 20 years. Two decades of life. A lot of us have literally grown up during our time as members here, with this board in the background our lives. Dump, I remember your Evil Sovereign which was pretty much my inspiration to trade in my Imperial for one. And weren't you were the one who posted a clip of you and a couple friends messing around in an urban setting set to "Me and My Homies" like a decade+ ago? I had that saved on my computer for a long time.

I've poured thousands of hours into this place over the years, maintaining and modding and upgrading and converting and juggling the stupid companies that have bought and sold us. And I've done it because this forum, after so long, feels like a little bit of home.

That home just got a little sadder, and a little more empty, and I can't even begin to fathom what you're going through. I'm so sorry.

You mentioned fundraisers. Do you feel comfortable posting some details so that those of us who are so inclined could contribute in her memory? Or a PM would be okay if you don't feel comfortable sharing publicly.
Yeah, it's funny to think I met her around the same time as I joined this board. That's a long ass time now. When we met, I was fully in my DH, street and dirt jump phases. She was as supportive as ever and definitely knew about RM.

I think the clip you mention is going on about 18 years now. Those were good times. In that clip, I rode out of my first 180s that day. Time flies. I've uploaded it here:

Re fundraisers: I chatted a bit with @slyfink ... stay tuned.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, it's funny to think I met her around the same time as I joined this board. That's a long ass time now. When we met, I was fully in my DH, street and dirt jump phases. She was as supportive as ever and definitely knew about RM.

I think the clip you mention is going on about 18 years now. Those were good times. In that clip, I rode out of my first 180s that day. Time flies. I've uploaded it here:

Re fundraisers: I chatted a bit with @slyfink ... stay tuned.
absolutely. I'm happy to be the conduit for donations. PM me for details. This is a very worthy cause.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just checked in on this thread, so am a wee bit late.
:(
I can't even comprehend. Like other have said - I got nothing other than I'm sorry for your loss.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yeah, I was just about to say something much along these lines. I'll caveat by saying there is no possible way I could understand what you've gone through, how much mental strength you might possibly have left, the state of your compassion reserves, and I have to imagine, how much anger or rage you might possibly have. That said, there is no fucking way I would recommend that book to you, right now.

It is immensely powerful. I read it after my accident. A moment in my life where I had a *really* close brush with my own mortality and was really struggling mentally trying to come to terms with it. Dr. Kalinithi was certainly more eloquent and so much more full of grace than I probably ever will be and the book certainly helped me find a measure of peace and understanding, but the journey is a painful one. Gut wrenching at times. I suspect you have a full measure of pain to deal with, in its own good time, without self inflicting the sort of personal/spiritual journey that that book will take you on.

Would I recommend it, eventually? Absolutely. I'd wager that the chapter you might find most applicable is the last. It's written by Dr. Kalinithi's surviving wife, who displays a measure of acceptance and peace that I personally find difficult to wrap my head around, but perhaps you are in a better position than I to understand her perspective. I wish for all of us to find the grace, acceptance, love, and peace that ends that book. I hope you can find it. Your posts here at least give me the impression that you've started the journey. I certainly hope I can find it one day.
I was thinking the same (about the final chapter....eventually). The journey to acceptance, grace and peace through grief is not an easy one, but as she shares, is possible.

Right now, hug your son and take time together to grieve and remember the precious time you had together.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
She died yesterday evening, surrounded by family. We are going to miss her deeply.
So sorry, I hadn't checked this thread in a while. It is so nice to see you around posting on stuff though. Thanks for letting us know.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Much appreciated all. This has been a long time coming and my son is doing amazing considering… we have thought this moment was close at hand many times … practically every month this year.

He knows what’s happening and why. He knows he will be ok and that mom will always love him. He knows I’m here for him, his extended family is here for him and so are his friends.

He is quite sad at times and acts out sometimes too. In all, he has been amazing.

He drew this picture yesterday.

View attachment 165567
@dump, I am so so sorry, there are no words besides we have your back. This is the first I have read this thread, and I have to say this drawing gave me straight up chills. I can’t imagine what the kiddo is going through. Peace.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ahhh, crap. One friend that I have known for 25 years died yesterday, and another was told yesterday that there is no further treatment options for her, end of the line.
Sorry to hear, Chris and Holly.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ahhh, crap. One friend that I have known for 25 years died yesterday, and another was told yesterday that there is no further treatment options for her, end of the line.
Sorry to hear, Chris and Holly.
Know what it feels like to hear that. Damn. So sorry that's happening to them :/

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
hey @dump hope you and the boy are holding up OK.
Holding up ok, thanks. The little one keeps me on my toes. Outside of that I'm filling my free time with a mix of fun and drugery ... building stuff (fun) and paperwork/cleanup/donations/etc. (drugery).

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
a week ago they found a mass in the chest of my 21 year old nephew, Its cancer and pressing on his heart and lungs. We just don't know what type yet. Supposed to get the biopsy results today or tomorrow and we go from there....fuck
Sounds like the non-hodgkin's lymphoma my wife fought off.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just discovered my aunt has what I believe is lymphoma. I guess it's the kind you fight off and then it doesn't come back, but information is otherwise limited. Hoping for the best for her, but that's at least promising news.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@dump I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm so sorry for you and your son. If we can do anything, please let us know.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just found out that one of my riding buddies, a few years younger than me, just had surgery for a colon mass and from the initial impressions it appears to be metastatic colon cancer.