Quantcast

Cobblestones... WTF!?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Its 2004... why not have a motor :D

I thought the same thing until I watched yesterday. I like the cobblestones.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
What's really cool is that those cobblestone streets often date back to the Romans.... too bad we can't have streets that last like that in the US... we're lucky to have a street last 10 years...

:rolleyes:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
N8 said:
What's really cool is that those cobblestone streets often date back to the Romans.... too bad we can't have streets that last like that in the US... we're lucky to have a street last 10 years...

Just seems overly dangerous to be pushing 35mph plus on a roadbike over that stuff, thats all. And today its pouring down rain... that can't be good.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
golgiaparatus said:
Just seems overly dangerous to be pushing 35mph plus on a roadbike over that stuff, thats all. And today its pouring down rain... that can't be good.

Is it any more dangerous than racing downhill in a rock garden after a rain storm...?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
The sections are not that long, granted they are still dangerous. At least it's better than when the race was originally run, I'm sure cobbles were the majority of what they rode. Some teams switched to 28mm tires for yesterdays stage. Which I'm sure felt like big fat tires considering they run 18 most of the time.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
N8 said:

that is because half of the country salts the shlt out of everything :rolleyes: :nope:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
N8 said:
Is it any more dangerous than racing downhill in a rock garden after a rain storm...?

No but do you race a rigid bike with 18 c down the mountain tires surrounded by 100 people that for the most part have no technical skill, personally i think they should scratch the cobblestons...someone is gonned get effed up :nopity:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
manhattanprjkt83 said:
No but do you race a rigid bike with 18 c down the mountain tires surrounded by 100 people that for the most part have no technical skill, personally i think they should scratch the cobblestons...someone is gonned get effed up :nopity:

Most pro road riders have awesome bike handling skills.

One of the coolest road race is Paris-Roubaix--26 sections of pave(cobblestone). Often raced in the rain.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I don't know about cobblestone but what does everybody think of cobbler? I'm partial to a peach cobbler, they are tasty and the only skills needed are chewing and swallowing!

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
golgiaparatus said:
Its 2004... why have the dudes over cobblestones?

(note: its raining today during the time trials and there are cobbles oin the course... hope there arent any wrecks)
Why have mountain stages?

They should have more on the cobblestones. When the TDF started they rode fixed gear bikes and were self-supported, started before dawn and finished after dark. Compared to yesteryear, they've got it easy with the cobblestones.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
manhattanprjkt83 said:
100 people that for the most part have no technical skill, personally i think they should scratch the cobblestons...someone is gonned get effed up :nopity:
WRONG. not even a matter of opinion, that's just incorrect. believe it or not, roadies can do a lot more than just pedal

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
dh girlie said:
It's the Euro's way of trying to F with the far superior American riders...
I think you accidentally put an "s" on the end of "rider"...

(Yeah. the US just DOMINATES the cycling world...I mean just look at the mountain biking standings.)

My eyes are rolling around and around at you. Take that.