Quantcast

Disappointed by the Beasties...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I read this, here...
New Beastie Boys album causing controversy with hidden copy-protection

The Beastie Boys' new album "To The 5 Boroughs" will become the number one album in the US this week. The Beastie Boys' first album in five years is expected to sell around 400,000 units this week and outsell the number two album to two to one. Meanwhile, the new album has caused some controversy as it includes a copy-protection to limit the ability to rip the CD in a PC. The CD installs the copy-protection software without telling users it is doing so.
WTF... Sneaking hidden software on my computer is pretty sh*tty, but so far I was able to rip the CD without any hiccups.

The albumn is their best inyears however.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so how does the copy-protection software work? is it just for the beasties cd, or for other cds too? how many times can you rip a cd to the hard drive?

DHiDave

Chimp
Jan 28, 2003
Lakewood, CO
It isn't sneaking if they aren't trying to hide that they've put the software on the CDs. And yea, it is their label so they can pretty much do what they want.

Hey, at least they don't like George Bush. The Beastie Boys rule.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
DHiDave said:
It isn't sneaking if they aren't trying to hide that they've put the software on the CDs. And yea, it is their label so they can pretty much do what they want.

Hey, at least they don't like George Bush. The Beastie Boys rule.
edo-chan said:
Get with it people, it's their label.
Actually it is Capitol Records. Secondly it's my computer and screw them if they think they can do whatever they want to my computer.

They should give a standard Windows installation w/ license agreement as to give people a choice to opt out.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
escapeartist said:
What softwear did u use? i use musicmatch do you think that would work?
I have Nero 6 Ultra, I ripped the tracks into MP3 format, then converted them to CDDA on a new CD and it seems to play fine/

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
DHiDave said:
Capital is just the parent company that distributes. They own the Grand Royale label.
Are you sure? I just looked over the entire CD & Cover and didn't see any mention of Grand Royale. Not that it matters, nothing gives them the right to install software on someones computer without their knowledge & consent.

So if you want to bypass the copyright protection kids, just hold down the shift key when you put the CD in your computer. Or turn off Autoplay. They say if you get a US or UK copy of the disc there is no copy protection though, which probably explains why it was so easy to rip.

But the US version is still not in a proper error checking format, and I swear I can hear alot of imperfections, but they may just be in the music...

Neccros

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
DHiDave said:
Capital is just the parent company that distributes. They own the Grand Royale label.
That label is GONE.... there actually was an auction recently to buy it from them...

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
the program the CD installs prohibits your computer from burning music off ANY CD you EVER out into it from that point on. BUT if you have windows XP hold down the shift key while inserting the disc and it will disable the autorun that installs it. Many other CDs are going to come with this hidden program in the future, so its a good idea to hold the shift key down when putting in any new CD from now on.

BTW i do think the new CD is great :thumb:

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
ViolentVolante said:
the program the CD installs prohibits your computer from burning music off ANY CD you EVER out into it from that point on.

Um, no. Not sure where you heard that.

This technology is nothing new; Radiohead, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and numerous other groups have done this in the past. It's not hidden either, there is an emblem on the cd that identifies it as having this software, check your cd case and cd.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Batman said:
Um, no. Not sure where you heard that.

This technology is nothing new; Radiohead, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and numerous other groups have done this in the past. It's not hidden either, there is an emblem on the cd that identifies it as having this software, check your cd case and cd.
You can also look for an absence of the "CD" logo. Phillips is pretty picky about what qualifies to use it. If it is missing it means they have been playing with the checksums and can't guarantee error free playback. Which is another way they have been trying to stop people from copying stuff.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Well according to that article the infected CD is not distributed in the US or UK so none of you should have any problem with it. I can almost understand shipping a cd that messes up a computer to countries like Vietnam or India where you can go and buy CD's from the market for $.50 each which obviously means that someone is having a great time copying them.
But I still don't agree with it. It would really piss me off to have my computer affected by a CD that i bought!

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Motionboy2 said:
I can almost understand shipping a cd that messes up a computer to countries like Vietnam or India where you can go and buy CD's from the market for $.50 each which obviously means that someone is having a great time copying them.

Don't forget our brothers to the North, Canada got them too.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Hello Nasty was far better than this album...sounds like they just took everything from the last 2 albums and recycled it...I was pretty dissapointed...

Tom

J

JRB

I stole some Dwight Yoakam this weekend and it works. It plays like ass in the cd-rom, but ok on everything else. :confused:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
why do you people still think it is okay to steal? If this software annoys you, think of how annoying it is to pour your heart and soul into something only to have it stolen and therefore you lose lot's of money! WEEEEEEEEEEEEAK!!!! People think because digital copying doesn't remove the original that somehow it's "sharing" not stealing. Sharing is splitting something up using part of it, not reproducing it and distributing it w/o permission!!!! If you could put a bike part into a machine and reproduce it quickly and cheaply don't you think manufacturers like Thomson, Chris King, etc. would be rightfully pissed? This is no different... I don't want to hear any crap about record execs getting fatter, that's sadly true but this isn't the way to combat that problem. This behavior will hurt artists and low level industry people more than high level execs. So what if the record co's are stooping to your level to try to protect what they legally own in the first place. You guys are all pissed that they would have the nerve to install software on your computer without your permission..but what about you installing their songs onto your computer without their permission? It's no different, in the end you are still taking something that isn't yours, just because it's really easy, anonymous and you remain unaccountable doesn't overcome that one simple fact...

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
You are partially correct...the bands see VERY little of the money from record sales...most goes to the record companies...most of the bands money comes from touring...there are tons of musicians who support file sharing...

If I like a CD I DL I go buy it...if not I don't...I'm not gonna go spend $19 for a CD to find that there is only one good song...I have to many of those which are now becoming coasters...

Tom

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
punkassean said:
You guys are all pissed that they would have the nerve to install software on your computer without your permission..but what about you installing their songs onto your computer without their permission?

Umm yeah, essentially this software limits the functionality of my property without my knowledge or consent, so yeah f*ck that. Not to mention that it restricts people from legal uses of the music they purchased such as ripping the CD to an iPod.

All this kind of thing does is piss off their customers, it won't stop or slow down piracy.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
if you aren't doing it then my comments don't apply to you...

Of course you can back-up data! sheezus!!! I'm not talking about legally backing up data (that you own) which makes perfect sense. I also think that making a mix CD compiled of various bands to give to a friend to turn them on to it and maybe one day buy an album is great! Most bands have .mp3's for download on their website available for free not to mention that most record stores have listening stations for new releases and will let you listen to any used CD they have. There are also reviews in mags and online for you to read and formulate opinions. So why, once you have burned a CD and end up liking it, would you be motivated to then go purchase it? All the "excuses" listed above are just that...excuses! They don't address the problem at hand. Whether the bands make a lot of money or a little money off of the record or from touring is somewhat irrelevant, the bands entered a contract detailing those things and you by burning the disc have unanimously superceded that contract. From what I understand, bands are required to use the money from record sales (which is pennies on the dollar, something like a nickel for every record for new bands and a dollar for bands like the Beasties in rough #'s) to pay for touring expenses, including obtaining venues, traveling, food etc. that is why they don't end up clearing much $ in the end. After paying for all that misc. stuff. their multi million dollar contract becomes maybe 5% of what it started out as. blah blah blah all you like, but you should try thinking for yourself instead of just doing what you peers are doing blindly.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Tenchiro said:
...it restricts people from legal uses of the music they purchased such as ripping the CD to an iPod.

All this kind of thing does is piss off their customers, it won't stop or slow down piracy.
I totally agree with all of your above statement, but my point was they (record co.s) felt forced to stoop to that level due to illegal activity running rampant...

That doesn't make it right but it also doesn't make pirating right either...

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
My stance on Piracy;

If an album sucks, I want to know before I drop the coin on it. If I d/l a few songs and I dig the band, I go out and buy a CD. If I don't like what I hear the mp3's get deleted usually, or just forgotten. I download alot of music, but I never host.

One mans pirate is another mans smart consumer.