Quantcast

DIY Bike Repair Stand

astoria

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
Sorry if you might find this inappropriate for this thread. I did some reasearch on DIY bike repair stand but unfortunately I've only seen some, and most can only accommodate XC rigs or light setups. Anyone here tried to make a DIY stand for a DH bike (40 lbs) with parts from hardware stores?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
When I was a kid, my buddy had a set of pulleys in the ceiling with hooks and just raised the bike up to where he wanted and tied the leads off. the bike could swing a little, but it was pretty effective. It would probably work nicely in a garage, and if the ceiling is high enough, you could pull the bike high with it and store it that way as well.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Get a parktool PCS-9
Cheap, sturdy and reliable. I got mine a few years ago for about $120 off ebay, they can be found for around $75 now. Mine easily supports the weight of my DH rig, and is sturdy enough that I can use some force on my bike without the stand giving way

If you want spend another $50 for the PCS-10 which has the QR clamps, but honestly, is it really necessary?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You can just hang hooks from the ceiling.

Any of the serious torque'ing, like bottom brackets, a lot of home stands are not stable enough, and I put the bike down on the ground.

But hooks on the bars and saddle should be stable enough for brake and derailleur adjusts.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I bought the clamping head off of a commercially available workstand (not Park, but similar). I think Park sells the clamping heads seperately as well? Mounted the head onto a length of 50mm SHS steel with a flange welded one end. Dynabolted the whole shebang to the floor at one end of the garage. All up it cost me about $150 AUD, but it is strong enough for the DH bikes and a whole lot of ham-fisted brutality should the need arise.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think it's a great thread- and I also agree with OGRipper- do something nice. I found a lightly used park shop stand on Craigslist for around $100.
It's worth it. Since then I've three different ways to support it, but nice head is worth it.

The pipe clamp idea is pretty ingenious and cool though...