Quantcast

Documentaries....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
....There is a small conversation in today’s GMT that got me thinking about them. Both the wife and I love documentaries, pretty much any subject. We recently have watched “The Smartest Guys in the Room” about Enron which was :mad: inducing for sure, a very cool little movie called “The Parking Lot Movie” about parking lot in Charlottesville, Virginia and its attendants, “Restrepo” the Sebastian Junger movie about Afghanistan, “The King of Kong” about the competition for the highest Donkey Kong score, and lately a series of BBC produced travel shows hosted by Monty Python’s Michael Palin. All of which I highly recommend. There have been some busts too, “Helvetica” a movie about the font, and “Darkon”, a movie about :nerd:s with a serious problem connecting to reality.

Recommendations? Discuss.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I like all you mentioned. Been streaming lots through netflix. restrepo & the parking lot movie were particularly good. i just saw one on fela kuti. it was good.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Although art, artists and documentaries about either are generally terrible, I recommend "Exit through the gift shop".

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought Mad Max was pretty good. I never knew how ****ed up Australia was.
tell me about it. I had my tickets booked to the thunderdome, but those got canceled quick. Luckily I just switched destinations to new zealand to try and find some elf buddy.

I did like restrepo a lot even though I came halfway into it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That whole series is good. I particularly enjoyed the one about the 2004 ALCS ("Four Days in October"). LOL @ NYY
:stupid:

I didn't see all 30, but the one on SMU was great, too. I think I saw about 10 or so during the run and enjoyed them.

I need to watch Senna, too. It is supposed to be very well done.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
A few I've watched and enjoyed over the last couple years.

- Man on Wire
- Planet Earth
- Blue Planet
- The Cosmos series
- Grizzly Man

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There is a really good one about Mt Everest in 1996 when eight climbers dies in one day, 'storm on everest'. Amazing documentary. Surround sound, dark room, the biggest screen you can find, and prepare yourself.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not exactly a documentary but I watched Downfall again the other night, and it's awesome.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'm in the middle of the Ken Burns Civil War. I love that there are so many discs. My wife hates that there are so many discs. It is shocking though and I've noticed that my jaw has been dropping at some of the stats.

food documentaries that I would recommend:

King Corn
Food Inc.
The Real Dirt on Farmer John

And for those nights when you want to get all spaced out and stare at craziness you've got

Koyaanisqatsi

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
"Anvil: The Story of Anvil" is not only the finest docco I've ever watched but one of my top 5 movies of all time.
For pure epicness "The World at War" is a must see.
Pes I'll have a think and recommend you some from my side of the world as well.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I'm also a fan of Loius Theroux's gonzo style. The one on Black Nationalists is New York was particularly good.