Quantcast

For those that were interested in the 9-10 speed rear derailer adapters

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Due to popular demand, I have had a bunch of my spacers machined up, and can now supply to anyone interested. These allow the use of a 10 speed Shimano derailer with a 9 speed Sram shifter. Now tested to work with any 9 speed Sram shifter and any 10 speed Shimano derailer EXCEPT XTR due to the stupid hollow aluminium bolt

Maybe you want to run a clutch derailer on your 9-speed setup. Maybe you don't want to upgrade everything all at once. This allows you to do that.

The spacer is machined from 6061 aluminum, anodized black (don't ask for other colours!), and I will supply a longer zinc-plated M5 bolt to use with it as well. It uses the existing cable clamp washer, and is specifically machined to fit in the recesses of the derailer so as to prevent the cable slipping out, twisting the bolt, or fraying. In short, I'm pretty chuffed with it, and I've been running it on my bike for several months of lift-assisted riding with nothing but perfect shifting.

Just to be clear, this will NOT work with any Sram derailers or Shimano shifters.

Cost is $25 plus postage. Postage is as follows:

Within Canada: $3
Within the US $4
Rest of World: $5.50 following changes to postage costs at January 1st 2014

Note that the above postage rates are good for at least 5 of these spacers, so if you want more than one, or you want one for your friend/wife/girlfriend/dog/mantlepiece just pay for postage once.

Payment can be sent via PayPal to rob[dot]stead2[at]gmail.com

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I take it this will allow folks with older 9 speed SRAM shifters to use the new and awesome Shimano clutch derailleurs and greatly improve their riding experience? All for a fraction of the price of replacing one's drivetrain to 10 sp???

Ingenious!

TahoeBC

Chimp
Apr 17, 2006
Thanks Big-Ted!!!!

The spacer arrived, very well made and works perfectly! Highly recommend!

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sweet. Lots of people have PMd me to say they received them and love them, but it seems a lot of people have asked me for these, but are waiting to destroy their current 9-speed deraileurs before setting up with the clutch derailer. Makes sense I guess.

Incidentally, I'd be particularly interested if anyone has used these with the Saint M820 derailer. I've no reason to believe it wouldn't work, but it would be good to know for sure there's no funky machining going on on that model in particular before telling people it's a definite go-er. None of my local shops seem to have any Saint derailers in stock for me to play with...

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
So, just to be clear... will it work with 9sp X-9 shifter with Zee dearailleur on 9sp cassette, of course?
Can you ship to Europe?

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Have you snapped a cable yet with your set up? I made my own and I broke a cable the other day at the end of a race run. I do hear this is an issue with the shimano clutch derailleur in general though...

Brett

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
My friend's Zee dérailleur snapped the cable after 8-10days riding... but so did my another buddy with XT few years ago...

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No snapped cables yet after ~15 bike park days and tons of local shuttles. I did have fraying issues when I first tested this with a stack of washers, hence going to the extent of making a specific part. This is also why I put a chamfer on the part where the cable enters.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Thanks for the two adapters. Got one on my Truax with x9 shifter / XT plus derailleur, works perfectly. The other is going on my Bronson.

Since IME the SRAM trigger shifters are more durable than shimano, and shadow derailleurs' low profile rocks, this setup is a best of both worlds thing.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Dear all,

I've been moving, starting a new job, and tied up in Crankworx craziness. I promise I'll reply to all your PMs later this week, but I warn you, I don't have much stock left. I'm going to see how much interest there is and talk to my machinist about doing another batch.

Thanks,

Rob

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
OK, I'm back in the land of the living! Those of you that PM'd me should have received responses. Unfortunately, I think all my stock is now accounted for. I'm going to talk to my machinist about doing a second batch, as it seems there's still considerable interest. I'll keep you all posted.

I also need to point out that it appears there is a problem when using these with an XTR clutch derailer, as Shimano used a larger diameter, hollow aluminum bolt on the XTR. If any of you have bought a spacer off me with the intention of using it on an XTR derailer get in touch and I'll provide a full refund upon receiving the returned, unused part. Hopefully that's fair. I have, however, now tested all other current Shimano clutch derailers to my satisfaction.

Thanks all!

Rob

Last edited:

lolaralph

Chimp
Aug 1, 2013
western PA
No snapped cables yet after ~15 bike park days and tons of local shuttles. I did have fraying issues when I first tested this with a stack of washers, hence going to the extent of making a specific part. This is also why I put a chamfer on the part where the cable enters.
OK, I'm back in the land of the living! Those of you that PM'd me should have received responses. Unfortunately, I think all my stock is now accounted for. I'm going to talk to my machinist about doing a second batch, as it seems there's still considerable interest. I'll keep you all posted.

I also need to point out that it appears there is a problem when using these with an XTR clutch derailer, as Shimano used a larger diameter, hollow aluminum bolt on the XTR. If any of you have bought a spacer off me with the intention of using it on an XTR derailer get in touch and I'll provide a full refund upon receiving the returned, unused part. Hopefully that's fair. I have, however, now tested all other current Shimano clutch derailers to my satisfaction.

Thanks all!

Rob
Second PM sent

markcjr

Chimp
Jul 9, 2004
If i have sram x9 10 spd shifter and sram 10 spd cassette and sram xo r.d. (non clutch) can I just install a clutched sram x9 rd or a zee rd? or would i need this adapter. sorry, bike part retarded. basically just want to get a clutched rd

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Read the first few paragraphs of the thread

"These allow the use of a 10 speed Shimano derailer with a 9 speed Sram shifter. I've tested it with X0 shifters and Zee M640 derailer, but it will work with any Sram shifter, and will probably work with any current 10 speed Shimano derailer.

Just to be clear, this will NOT work with any Sram derailers or Shimano shifters."

If i have sram x9 10 spd shifter and sram 10 spd cassette and sram xo r.d. (non clutch) can I just install a clutched sram x9 rd or a zee rd? or would i need this adapter. sorry, bike part retarded. basically just want to get a clutched rd

markcjr

Chimp
Jul 9, 2004
i understand that. so can i just go out and buy a zee 10 spd clutched rd and it will work with my 10spd x9 shifters, no adapter needed?

it says it will "probably work with any sram shifters and any shimano rd" so I just wanted to see if anyone had run the combination i am considering

Last edited:

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Whoa. Mark Chris makes a good point. That should read any NINE speed sram shifter. I think the two separate threads are confusing me a bit...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If i have sram x9 10 spd shifter and sram 10 spd cassette and sram xo r.d. (non clutch) can I just install a clutched sram x9 rd.
Yes, or a Sram X7 or XO clutch derailleur. You can't make any Shimano derailleur work with a Sram 10spd shifter.

This adapter makes 10spd Shimano clutch derailleurs work on 9spd cassettes with Sram 9spd shifters.

markcjr

Chimp
Jul 9, 2004
Got it, I'll just go with the sram 10spd clutched rd. Was only curious because the consensus seems to be that the shimano clutch mech. works better than the sram clutch mech. Thanks for the advice.
Mark

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I wouldn't say it works better but the adjustable clutch is nice. However, I've seen a bunch of broken Saint clutch levers and one broken Saint clutch and spring. The Shimano derailleurs also seem to snap a lot of cables. I've only heard of one broken Sram clutch but I've seen a lot of recent Sram X7 & X9s get sloppy pivots after a year or so.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mikey, I replied to you via pm, but maybe my inbox being full is causing problems. I'm on my phone right now & can't figure out how to empty it. I'll empty it tonight!

Sorry all!

ziscwg

Chimp
Sep 5, 2013
Big-Ted
I can't seem to get PM working, but I sent you an email to the above address.

I certainly would like this adapter so I can reduce chain slap and tuck that RD in a little more.