Quantcast

.*. Get up, get up, get up .*.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Had a lovely evening yesterday. Woman-childs concert was great, those kids are getting to be quite sharp with those fancy instruments. Celebratory Korean dinner with friends afterwards definitely put me in food coma. Hard to get out of bed this morning. Maybe ride after work?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Woke up at 5:00 to run and I had a headache and it was raining, so back to bed I went for two more hours.

Two hour project meeting at 8:00 on a Monday morning. You gotta be shitting on my balls.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Spent a goodly portion of our Saturday saving a wild bird that must have been hit by a car and was woozy. A Virginia rail, apparently not commonplace around here. Took it to the crazy wild bird lady for rehabilitation and release.

Yesterday I took possession of this work table in need of rehab. 8' long, 3" solid maple top with stainless legs and shelf. Probably a restaurant prep table that sells for $2500, and I got it for free. Now to flatten and condition the top so it can be restored to its former glory.

20211024_094432.jpg

Spent a goodly portion of our Saturday saving a wild bird that must have been hit by a car and was woozy. A Virginia rail, apparently not commonplace around here. Took it to the crazy wild bird lady for rehabilitation and release.

Yesterday I took possession of this work table in need of rehab. 8' long, 3" solid maple top with stainless legs and shelf. Probably a restaurant prep table that sells for $2500, and I got it for free. Now to flatten and condition the top so it can be restored to its former glory.

View attachment 166552
I have another top like that that I need to get rid of...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I am like 100% ded right now. D-E-D ded. Not sure if I'm not sleeping well, or working too hard, or depressed, but I got nothing. My stupid training program ends at the end of next week and I wish it were tomorrow. I may skip getting up early tomorrow and thursday just to try to have something in the tank during the day.

Otherwise, hi. Struggling to justify buying a gigantic korean luxury car.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Dropped wife at the airport and was home before sunrise. Which means I'm supposed to fend for myself and keep the DSO alive all week...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Work. Get to write up my Q3 employee review today then try to squeeze in some study this am.

Unfortunate that I won't be up your way soon, because I'd happily take that off your hands. I love butcher blocks.
We're putting a 10' block as countertop on the new built-in's I'm working on right now. Unfortunately Wifey wants it painted to match the cabinets, because "we have too many types of wood in the house" and our other built-in's are also white. I also had two smaller scrape pieces, on 4'x18" I'd held onto for over a year that I finally tossed last weekend. I haven't found a use for it. It felt dirty doing it.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
We need to get our hand on a 4wd smallish SUV for winter. That driveway is not going to climb itself.

Going to test drive a 2018 Forester tomorrow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am like 100% ded right now. D-E-D ded. Not sure if I'm not sleeping well, or working too hard, or depressed, but I got nothing. My stupid training program ends at the end of next week and I wish it were tomorrow. I may skip getting up early tomorrow and thursday just to try to have something in the tank during the day.

Otherwise, hi. Struggling to justify buying a gigantic korean luxury car.
it's the zone 3, mannnnn

/me is at work. 'tis a typical Monday overall, except that it's oddly dark and gloomy here in Denver. Do not like. I moved away from this shit.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Here. Work. Get to write up my Q3 employee review today then try to squeeze in some study this am.

We're putting a 10' block as countertop on the new built-in's I'm working on right now. Unfortunately Wifey wants it painted to match the cabinets, because "we have too many types of wood in the house" and our other built-in's are also white. I also had two smaller scrape pieces, on 4'x18" I'd held onto for over a year that I finally tossed last weekend. I haven't found a use for it. It felt dirty doing it.
Painted butcher block!? Blasphemy!

We talking whitewashed, or like, actual paint? Not sure how I feel about a painted countertop in a kitchen. Though I'll be curious to see how paint holds up on such a high wear surface.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Yesterday was crazy weather, thunder and lightning with 75 mph winds. Dumped a ton of rain for like an hour, then just blew like crazy.

All the blow up Halloween stuff has been blown into a field, pretty awesome. Still crazy windy, but at least it's been dry.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Painted butcher block!? Blasphemy!

We talking whitewashed, or like, actual paint? Not sure how I feel about a painted countertop in a kitchen. Though I'll be curious to see how paint holds up on such a high wear surface.
Painted... It will be built-in's in the living room, so super low usage.

I need to build the risers to install the cabinets all level still and install pulls.

IMG_20211025_082803_01.jpg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Why not just use some birch ply as a countertop instead? Cheaper, looks the same painted.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why not just use some birch ply as a countertop instead? Cheaper, looks the same painted.
I've been thinking about it, but the length is 10'. I can get a piece of mid-grade butcher block for ~$400, cut it and have it sprayed to match the boxes. With birch ply, I am going to need to join it, then transport it to someone who can spray it, risking breaking the joint transiting it both ways. We can end up with a nicer looking top, with less risk and less effort, for a marginally greater expense.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

View attachment 166552
I've spent years looking for a similar prep table, no go. All I found was stainless steel. Depending on your purpose, be cautious on how much former glory you put back into it, honest wear is worth $$$.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've spent years looking for a similar prep table, no go. All I found was stainless steel. Depending on your purpose, be cautious on how much former glory you put back into it, honest wear is worth $$$.
The plan was to flatten the top, as there's some significant warping, then give it a sanding all over and good conditioning with mineral oil. Not going to go crazy, but I do insist on it being functional for the things I intend to do.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The plan was to flatten the top, as there's some significant warping, then give it a sanding all over and good conditioning with mineral oil. Not going to go crazy, but I do insist on it being functional for the things I intend to do.
Pull the top and take it to and industrial shop to level it (large planer). Save yourself the time and dust in your lungs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's the zone 3, mannnnn

/me is at work. 'tis a typical Monday overall, except that it's oddly dark and gloomy here in Denver. Do not like. I moved away from this shit.
lol I wasn't even in zone 3 this morning. I think I'm riding the cusp of overtraining, and since I haven't slept well, I'm building up fatigue faster than I can clear it. I did no exercise this weekend other than leaf blowing and soccer with the kids.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I also have no idea where this is, but it makes me chuckle.

Woonsocket, RI

There is a job there but requires 5 days a month in office and that's a bit of a commute.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've been thinking about it, but the length is 10'. I can get a piece of mid-grade butcher block for ~$400, cut it and have it sprayed to match the boxes. With birch ply, I am going to need to join it, then transport it to someone who can spray it, risking breaking the joint transiting it both ways. We can end up with a nicer looking top, with less risk and less effort, for a marginally greater expense.

You'd probably want more than 1 sheet to get the desired thickness, just offset the seam from one layer to the next.

Thinking about it, I'd honestly be tempted to just run MDF with hardwood nosing, shit's dirt cheap paints beautifully and available in 10' sheets.