Quantcast

Giant reign sx 2020 29er or Ibis Ripmo AF 29er

Ace Ventura

Chimp
May 16, 2020
Hey all, just joined the forum family :)
Wondering if y'all have advice here, I'm picking between giants reign sx 29er and ibis ripmo AF 29er.
Both have similar geometry, reign sx with the 170 front fork has 0.3 more of a slacker head tube angle geometry (barely anything).

As well the ibis ripmo AF has a 146 rear Reign sx is also 146.
Ibis ripmo has 458mm reach
Reign sx has 449.5 MM reach
They both have the same chainstay length (434mm)

Either of them, a bike that can climb comfortably and descend like a beast steep and gnarly. I know the reign is spot on in this, but the ibis has the same specs on paper as the reign, I wonder if I do choose the ibis ripmo for some aggressive downhill enduro all mountain type stuff will it perform the same?
Is the reign sx a better choice then ibis ripmo AF if I were to take it Whistler or blue mountain, or even steeper gnarly trails around my area.
Reign costs $4400 here in Canada.. Ibis costs $4300.

It's a tight comparison wich I why I'm confused between the two. Once again 4k is alot of money so of I buy once I don't want to buy again in a year or two or three even.

I did look at the Rocky mountain slayer but it's not for me, I love it but it's not intended for enduro all mountain, still more of a dh bike. I looked at other makes but reign sx and ripmo AF is what I narrowed it down to, I did as well look at all the YouTube reviews just want to gain the communities experience.

Advice is appreciated

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
How long are your arms?
Giant might be better if your wingspan is less.
that said, I am REALLY happy with my Rocky Insinct bc, which I have set up as 155/170mm. 28.25# all tittied out, so it climbs just fine.
if you can demo one, I recommend it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Where are you located?

Either one of those will handle Blue or any of the local trails just fine.

What are the components and suspension on each? This is likely what will make one or the other "better". Theyll both be great descenders.

Which one do you think is more visually appealing? Not the most technical of aspects, but given how good either bike is, you should enjoy looking at what you're riding.

Ace Ventura

Chimp
May 16, 2020
Where are you located?

Either one of those will handle Blue or any of the local trails just fine.

What are the components and suspension on each? This is likely what will make one or the other "better". Theyll both be great descenders.

Which one do you think is more visually appealing? Not the most technical of aspects, but given how good either bike is, you should enjoy looking at what you're riding.
I'm located in Ontario with the intention of going up to bc. Attached a screenshot of the component specs of each bike.
Screenshot_20200516-133545_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200516-133553_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200516-133441_Drive.jpg
I can't tell wich is better.

Ace Ventura

Chimp
May 16, 2020
How long are your arms?
Giant might be better if your wingspan is less.
that said, I am REALLY happy with my Rocky Insinct bc, which I have set up as 155/170mm. 28.25# all tittied out, so it climbs just fine.
if you can demo one, I recommend it.
I'm 5,8 haven't measured my arms yet but if I put them baside my legs my fingers reach about 5 inches above my knee

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
At quick glance the Ibis looks better - better suspension at least.

The 34 tooth chain ring and 28 tooth rear cassette doesn't sound too friendly for anything, unless you're a beast.

In Ontario too. A friend has a Ripmo AF with the DVO Jade coil shock and says it climbs well. We ride in Copeland Forest quite a bit, which has longer climbs (relative to the area), and he enjoys. It rips down the hills.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have the carbon Ripmo and like it a lot. My only real complaint is the leverage ratio that has been corrected on the AF model. I like the Ibis 35mm wide rims but have found you get a weird tire profile if you're not running Maxxis WT tires. So the narrower rims on the Giant will be be more flexible if you don't like Maxxis tires. Maxxis does offer a good range if tires in the WT sizes.

Ace Ventura

Chimp
May 16, 2020
At quick glance the Ibis looks better - better suspension at least.

The 34 tooth chain ring and 28 tooth rear cassette doesn't sound too friendly for anything, unless you're a beast.

In Ontario too. A friend has a Ripmo AF with the DVO Jade coil shock and says it climbs well. We ride in Copeland Forest quite a bit, which has longer climbs (relative to the area), and he enjoys. It rips down the hills.
What do you mean by the tooth chain ring thing being not too friendly unless your a beast? And on wich bike are we referring

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
On the Reign, the 11-28 cassette with a single 34 tooth chainring is not climb friendly, at least for me. Seems an odd spec for an "Enduro" bike.

Edit: the lowest gear on the Reign is probably equivalent to around the Ripmo's 4th gear

Last edited:

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
AV, are you looking at this Giant https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/reign-sx-29
or this Giant https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/reign-sx?
The spec you posted matches the US website which is a 27.5'er, but if you are looking at the 29'er on the Canadian website, it has a different spec.
$4249 CAD
FRAME
SIZES S, M, L, XL
COLOURS Biking Red
FRAME ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 146mm
FORK Fox 36 Performance Elite, GRIP2, 170mm,110x15 Kabolt, tapered
SHOCK Fox DHX2 Performance Elite
COMPONENTS
HANDLEBAR Giant Contact SL TR35, 800x35mm, 20mm rise
STEM Giant Contact SL 35
SEATPOST Giant Contact Switch, 30.9, 100mm, [M] 125mm, [L] 150mm, [XL]
170mm
SADDLE Giant Contact, Neutral, UniClip Accessory Mount
PEDALS N/A
DRIVETRAIN
SHIFTERS SRAM NX Eagle
FRONT DERAILLEUR N/A
REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM NX Eagle
BRAKES SRAM Code R or Shimano SLX Hydraulic Disc, 200mm
BRAKE LEVERS SRAM Code R or Shimano SLX
CASSETTE SRAM NX Eagle, 11x50
CHAIN SRAM NX Eagle
CRANKSET TruVativ Descendent 6k Eagle DUB, 32t with MRP alloy guide
WHEELS
BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM DUB, press fit
RIMS Giant AM Tubeless, 29", Disc (30mm inner)
HUBS Giant Performance Tracker, [F] Boost 15x110mm [R] Boost 12x148mm
SPOKES Sapim
TIRES [F] Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.5 WT, EXO, TR [R] Maxxis Minion DHR II
29x2.4 WT, EXO, TR, tubeless
EXTRAS Tubeless prepared

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The spec you posted matches the US website which is a 27.5'er, but if you are looking at the 29'er on the Canadian website, it has a different spec.
$4249 CAD
FRAME
SIZES S, M, L, XL
COLOURS Biking Red
COMPONENTS
STEM Giant Contact SL 35
170mm
PEDALS N/A
DRIVETRAIN
SHIFTERS SRAM NX Eagle
FRONT DERAILLEUR N/A
CHAIN SRAM NX Eagle
WHEELS
SPOKES Sapim
EXTRAS Tubeless prepared
Good catch...

If it is that bike on the Canadian site, that's a nice bike. It'd a coin toss for me, personally.

I'm sure the giant weighs less?

Only questionable thing on that Giant is the seat post. All my friends who have had one of those, have had it fail or it flops around like a noodle. They do work for some time though...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have far more faith that Ibis put some thought into the design than Giant. Things like frame stiffness after a couple months, no stupid bearing interfaces that are non-replaceable, etc. Ibis has come a long way in 10 years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, looks like the suspension on the Ibis is better. No question IMO. I wouldn't be considering a weight a factor with either of these builds. They are going to weigh a lot and shouldn't be bought for that.

Ace Ventura

Chimp
May 16, 2020
$4249 CAD
FRAME
SIZES S, M, L, XL
COLOURS Biking Red
COMPONENTS
STEM Giant Contact SL 35
170mm
PEDALS N/A
DRIVETRAIN
SHIFTERS SRAM NX Eagle
FRONT DERAILLEUR N/A
CHAIN SRAM NX Eagle
WHEELS
SPOKES Sapim
EXTRAS Tubeless prepared
Wow thank you for catching that. Yes I'm looking at or trying to look at the first link the giant reign sx 29'er lol

Ace Ventura

Chimp
May 16, 2020
Good catch...

If it is that bike on the Canadian site, that's a nice bike. It'd a coin toss for me, personally.

I'm sure the giant weighs less?

Only questionable thing on that Giant is the seat post. All my friends who have had one of those, have had it fail or it flops around like a noodle. They do work for some time though...
Yes it's the bike on the Canadian site sx 29, on the spec build of it, does it have a better drive train / Casset than you originally thought compared to the ibis? And shocks too.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
The drivetrain on the Canadian Giant is the same as the Ripmo AF's, so no issue with gearing on either. The Canadian Giant's fork and shock, both Fox performance elite, I believe are the same as Fox's top of the line but without the fancy Kashima coating. I don't know enough to compare to the DVO bits of the Ibis. I thought I had read here previously that Giant's Maestro suspension design was very good (@Udi?). @Jm_ , were your posts based on the Giant spec posted by Ace Ventura, or the corrected spec I posted?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I thought I had read here previously that Giant's Maestro suspension design was very good (@Udi?).
Giant's kinematics on Maestro frames for the last ~10 years are between very good and excellent.
While they should have licensed it legitimately (they basically stole it from DW), there was a decent settlement, and I prefer the Maestro implementations as they tend to have less digression at the end stroke (closer to a plain progressive curve, without being excessively so like modern Santa Cruz, and often YT / Canyon).

I did check the Ripmo L/R for @norbar recently but I forget which year model and the details, maybe he can comment.

I haven't ridden the 29er Reign though (no interest in trailbikes with 140mm~ travel) but if we're going to discuss frame part longevity, I think it's more important to not buy clevis / yoked shock mount designs. Reign wins here.

Conversely, I have no idea if Ibis is any better, but worth noting the stock Giant wheels/hubs usually suck and often are half the reason for people's perceived flex.

Ultimately I agree with canadmos, OP will be happy with either bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Giant's kinematics on Maestro frames for the last ~10 years are between very good and excellent.
While they should have licensed it legitimately (they basically stole it from DW), there was a decent settlement, and I prefer the Maestro implementations as they tend to have less digression at the end stroke (closer to a plain progressive curve, without being excessively so like modern Santa Cruz, and often YT / Canyon).

I did check the Ripmo L/R for @norbar recently but I forget which year model and the details, maybe he can comment.

I haven't ridden the 29er Reign though (no interest in trailbikes with 140mm~ travel) but if we're going to discuss frame part longevity, I think it's more important to not buy clevis / yoked shock mount designs. Reign wins here.

Conversely, I have no idea if Ibis is any better, but worth noting the stock Giant wheels/hubs usually suck and often are half the reason for people's perceived flex.

Ultimately I agree with canadmos, OP will be happy with either bike.
We looked at the new ripmo maybe I can get one for a decent price. Local riders that are quite trustworthy and ride their bikes hard like theirs but the bike is rather new so it's hard to say anything about long term longetivity.