Quantcast

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Will probably discourage some number of buyers, but AR15s are easy enough to assemble at home, and only the lower receiver is considered a firearm. You'd still pay the cost on that one component, but it would be a small fraction of the cost vs purchasing as an assembled gun.
Gotta start somewhere.
It might not be sweeping reform but it could get the ball rolling.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Will probably discourage some number of buyers, but AR15s are easy enough to assemble at home, and only the lower receiver is considered a firearm. You'd still pay the cost on that one component, but it would be a small fraction of the cost vs purchasing as an assembled gun.
Just make the bullets $200 each. Probably at least $250 now with inflation.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Indeed. Bummer there's no progress towards bi-partisan legislation instead of these patchwork laws that are dubiously effective and hard to enforce.
I struggle with thoughts on this issue, and often end with a little lost faith in humanity. I watched a bit Trevor Noah had on guns and he basically said that we have to start somewhere and can’t just throw our hands up and say “what can we do?”

To me, the AR15 is the pit bull of the gun world: it is identifiable and scary looking to many people, but statistics don’t really show it to be the major cause of harm when you look at the total gun deaths in the US. The majority of of non-suicide gun deaths in this country are handguns used in events that don’t qualify as mass shootings. I absolutely want to see gun violence in this country reduced, and starting with weapons associated with mass shootings of children and teachers in schools seems like a good place to start the process. I’m just cynical and think that legislation passed will have issues with enforcement, and even if it didn’t, that people determined to commit such atrocities will figure out how to get around the system.

The more I think about it the more I realize I want a “perfect” solution, but sacrificing the good for the perfect won’t do any good because there isn’t a perfect. Change has to start.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I struggle with thoughts on this issue, and often end with a little lost faith in humanity. I watched a bit Trevor Noah had on guns and he basically said that we have to start somewhere and can’t just throw our hands up and say “what can we do?”

To me, the AR15 is the pit bull of the gun world: it is identifiable and scary looking to many people, but statistics don’t really show it to be the major cause of harm when you look at the total gun deaths in the US. The majority of of non-suicide gun deaths in this country are handguns used in events that don’t qualify as mass shootings. I absolutely want to see gun violence in this country reduced, and starting with weapons associated with mass shootings of children and teachers in schools seems like a good place to start the process. I’m just cynical and think that legislation passed will have issues with enforcement, and even if it didn’t, that people determined to commit such atrocities will figure out how to get around the system.

The more I think about it the more I realize I want a “perfect” solution, but sacrificing the good for the perfect won’t do any good because there isn’t a perfect. Change has to start.
When I hear about a shooting or murder here in town, 99% of the time, it's a handgun. It's an assault weapon, because again 99% it's a handgun intended to kill other humans, it's not a target .22 or large bore scoped hunting revolver.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

one thing we can't legislate away is that far too many people selfishly care about their own rights more than they do the lives of other americans

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
But mainly, I think anyone who tries to buy one of those should be scooped up and sent to compulsory therapy.
The mental health issue in this country is it's sick obsession with firearms. So many people here fail to see that. The GOP doesn't want to do anything to restrict the access of firearms, but instead says that we need to do something about mental health and not guns. If you can't see that worshiping a tool of death is mentally unhealthy, then we are truly lost.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Great. Now we have a news cycle of Matthew McConaughey.

He must have read that a lot of times. Because I don't know if I could have made it past the shoes. But that also might have been the purpose of his outburst - to change/release the rage/despair before it consumed him. Because multiple times in that press conference he almost broke. You could hear it in his voice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

He must have read that a lot of times. Because I don't know if I could have made it past the shoes. But that also might have been the purpose of his outburst - to change/release the rage/despair before it consumed him. Because multiple times in that press conference he almost broke. You could hear it in his voice.
Maybe driving a lincoln would relax him?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just… wow. I take it that’s some sort of special scope you can look through from a way off?

But mainly, I think anyone who tries to buy one of those should be scooped up and sent to compulsory therapy.
about 40 years ago i my brothers and i were friends of a kid whose dad was a avid hunter and who my dad knew through work....before owning a AR15 was something that was a thing that was popular....i doubt he ever would have owned one...

he had a 44 magnum with about a 14in barrel set up in similar fashion....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The mental health issue in this country is it's sick obsession with firearms. So many people here fail to see that. The GOP doesn't want to do anything to restrict the access of firearms, but instead says that we need to do something about mental health and not guns. If you can't see that worshiping a tool of death is mentally unhealthy, then we are truly lost.
censor first person shooting games....shit....just make them illegal...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
censor first person shooting games....shit....just make them illegal...

There is little to no evidence that video games contribute to gun violence in any way. It is just a scripted excuse handed out by the NRA to be repeated by their cronies. There are a lot of other countries where children play more of those games than in the US yet they somehow don't have the same problem with gun violence.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210