Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the only way to stop a criminal with a hammer is a good guy with a hammer.

A good guy with a long pointy stick will also do in a pinch.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

mall is a shit hole....not shocked...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
well i never!

ride-a-bike is there! and pita wheel! and ray nathan's bbq! but otherwise...yeah.

also not shocking: shooting was at a dmv...
moms has been to pita wheel....

disappointed life of pie pizza closed...another pizza place is going in....but....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't have kids (I only kidnap them, groom™ them to be satanist, transexual, lesbiangay, and CNN watchers) but yeah I'd be homeschooling the shit out of them if right about now I lived in ohio....if they existed.
my sister lives in ohio (don't ask). i haven't talked to her about this yet.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Required training reduced from 700 hours to 24 hours.

I rarely come to PAWN and I certainly haven't read this entire thread but to me, this is crazy.
It is worse than you think - cops on average only get 60 hours.

"Police training is also problematic. Currently, training focuses too much on firearm skills and omits vital exposure to non-lethal weapons and conflict management. The median time of basic recruit training is 18 weeks, not counting field training. Nationally, police departments spend an average of 60 hours on firearms training and 44 hours on self-defense. Less deadly weapons, like Tasers, can be alternatives to guns. But agencies only provide an average of 8 hours of training for Tasers, which is only 25 percent of the necessary training required according to manufacturers."

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Little Billy hears a school shooter down the hall, firing at a rate of 15 rounds per minute. Ohio state law governs magazine size at 30 rounds. Assuming a reload time of 20 seconds, and given that the average tactical vest can hold 6 magazines, plus another 2 with a molle belt attachment, how long before Mrs. Jensen must engage the shooter with her Glock-19? With a kill rate of 3 kids per 5 minutes, how many of Little Billy's classmates will be slaughtered before the police respond?

Math is about to get real fun in Ohio.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Little Billy hears a school shooter down the hall, firing at a rate of 15 rounds per minute. Ohio state law governs magazine size at 30 rounds. Assuming a reload time of 20 seconds, and given that the average tactical vest can hold 6 magazines, plus another 2 with a molle belt attachment, how long before Mrs. Jensen must engage the shooter with her Glock-19? With a kill rate of 3 kids per 5 minutes, how many of Little Billy's classmates will be slaughtered before the police respond?

Math is about to get real fun in Ohio.
people in ohio: "mAtH is CrT!"

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So now we are arming teachers who are notoriously underpaid, overworked and stressed the fuck out ? What could possibly go wrong ?

Like they need more shit to deal with. Some have to pay for school supplies out of their own pocket. No money to fix that problem, but let’s pony up for some firepower. Not to mention that most people who choose to go into education do so because their personality is suited for such work. Otherwise they’d choose something more violence oriented like law enforcement of the military.

Arming teachers...fucking stupid.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This thread title is akin to the religion thread in here, you can't explain it and for this one - there isn't any.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
So now we are arming teachers who are notoriously underpaid, overworked and stressed the fuck out ? What could possibly go wrong ?

Like they need more shit to deal with. Some have to pay for school supplies out of their own pocket. No money to fix that problem, but let’s pony up for some firepower. Not to mention that most people who choose to go into education do so because their personality is suited for such work. Otherwise they’d choose something more violence oriented like law enforcement of the military.

The way I read it, at least for Ohio, was that they were allowing them to carry should they choose to (after a whopping 24 hours of training) and was not a requirement. That being said....

"Not to mention that most people who choose to go into education do so because their personality is suited for such work. Otherwise they’d choose something more violence oriented like law enforcement of the military."

Have to agree. I'd prefer my child's teacher to spend their time on curriculum instead of worrying if they're armed.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's not like kids ever play with guns they find and accidentally kill one another or anything...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This should end well.

Businesses around here have been hiring armed guards. Should end well because giving people who can't get hired as a cop guns should work out well. But you can't run a viable business when it is getting broken into several times a week.