Quantcast

Help pleeeeeaase

martang

Chimp
Aug 30, 2020
So am pretty much new to all this technical mtb stuffs but i just grabbed a hold of this bike and i love it apart from the gears ! I am soon gonna discover deep frustration and stress please help me, the gears work but it doesn't go into all 7 gears it seems to miss 1st and 2nd and maybe 7th . When i purchased this bike i was informed that the disc brake and gears did not work, hmm the disc brake fluid reservoir, pipe and caliper where so dry they contained dust. After a quick look at the rear end i noticed the plastic cap "thingy" what the gear cable goes into wasn't connected to the hub correctly so i alighned it to what i thought looked right and secured it properly and some of the gears worked. Also after seeing the state the brake was in i can only imagine the gears being bone dry also i'd like to know about lubricating them?

Cheers guys

Any links to places where i can gather info about the bike will be gratefully accepted

Attachments

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow, what an odd bike!
Rond fork, Doublewide rims, fark knows what that frame is but I did learn not to image search Silverfox Hardass with safe search off :o It has to be old and British or new and Chinese, I can't tell, they both made/make things that are difficult to look at.

The brakes are cable rear, hyd front? Looks like an old speed dial for the rear, maybe a Hope Pro for the front.......? If so Hope bakes sucked pretty badly when I had them in 2009-10 so you'd be better off carrying a few sticks and throwing them in to the spokes when needed.

Rear hub a Sachs S7?

Those Kenda tyres will be just as grippy as the day they were made.

martang

Chimp
Aug 30, 2020
Yup yer right there Hacker it's a bit of a mad old cow but it kinda grabs my attention and at the end of the day it rides soooo much better than ANY other bike (apart from motorbike) i've ever rode on so i couldn't help myself and bought it. I'm not planning doing anything even half serious on the bike it's basically just something i'm using to keep myself half fit and try reduce my ever increasing gut .
It's a long way off new so i think more likely old and british!! haha
Your bob on about the brakes and yeah the front is a hope5, it's also got a strange quick release swinging arm‍♂ this is a new thing to me and i haven't ventured into taking it off yet.
Cheers for that link exactly what i was looking for.
Stay Safe

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah nice, you should be able to find a cable disc brake to replace that Hope pretty cheap, it would probably work better too.
Any other markings on the frame, is it SFX? Not sure I have ever seen anything like that, I do remember one or two Y shape hardtails but I don't think the chainstay was like that one.