Quantcast

help: sony cyber-shot P92 problems

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Man, the Sony site is of no help :rolleyes: I sent them an email, but my company's brochure is supposed to go out in today's mail and I need a few more product photos. So many one of y'all know...

My DSC-P92 turns off when I switch from preview or set up modes to picture mode. And it turns on only for a moment when it is in picture mode to begin with. I can transfer pics over USB and can preview them on the camera. I'd guess that the lens was jammed and by not opening, it shuts down, but there appears to be no obstructions. The first time this happened, I was using the tele/wide buttons to zoom, then it shut down.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Put the original, OEM sony batteries back in, or any other high quality NiMH batteries.

Had this exact same problem and that fixed it. I don't know why, but my ex-girlfriend's camera used to do this and the OEM batteries or the expensive NiMH batteries we bought caused the camera to act normally again.

edit: for some reason, normal double-A batteries simply don't work in that camera any more after we had the problem.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
Put the original, OEM sony batteries back in, or any other high quality NiMH batteries.

Had this exact same problem and that fixed it. I don't know why, but my ex-girlfriend's camera used to do this and the OEM batteries or the expensive NiMH batteries we bought caused the camera to act normally again.

edit: for some reason, normal double-A batteries simply don't work in that camera any more after we had the problem.
Good point, regular batteries can not supply as much current as NiMh.

I still think Opie should smash it though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Voltage difference?
No, the normal AA batteries worked for a couple weeks taking a lot of pictures. Then one day, the camera shut off and wouldn't retract the lens. Every time I turned it on the lens would retract, then extend, then it would shut off again.

Finally put the old batteries back in it because I was going to ship it to Sony, and it started working again. Found the other NiMH batteries that I bought worked fine too - it was just standard AAs that caused the problem. You're supposed to be able to use normal AA batteries with it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
binary visions said:

thanks!

The problem started with the oem nimh batteries in the camera. I suppose recharging them would be the next step. It's my boss' camera and he claims the batteries are charged.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The first thing you should try is to start the camera in a picture mode with the lense cap on. That may reset the senser that is making it shut down. My cameras give me a warning when the lense is obstructed and I don't know why your is shutting down?? The other thing I saw work was turn on the camera in picture mode and before the lense extends all the way kind of softly turn the lense assembly. This supposed to get it back on the tracks that extend the lense. The one other thing you can do is try to softy pull the lense out while it is extending. I have never seen that work but it is described as a possible solution to a problem I had similar to yours by our Sony Rep. The other thing described to me as a possible solution is replace the battery. I don't know what that will do but hey give it a whirl. Hope this helps......jdcamb

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
LordOpie said:
thanks!

The problem started with the oem nimh batteries in the camera. I suppose recharging them would be the next step. It's my boss' camera and he claims the batteries are charged.
See if you can put them into another device (like a walkman) where you can drain the juice, then recharge them. That will condition the battery a bit better than just throwing them into a recharger.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
binary visions said:
See if you can put them into another device (like a walkman) where you can drain the juice, then recharge them. That will condition the battery a bit better than just throwing them into a recharger.
I sometimes do that for my batteries, but it's my boss' camera and I don't care :devil:

However, I thought the memory effect was supposed to be fixed in batteries these days?

FYI: I put the OEMs back in, the camera worked long enough for me to find out that his supposedly charged batteries weren't :rolleyes: I'll just do a screen cap on the product design for the first set of brochures.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
NiMH batteries have a memory. Lithium batteries do not. AFAIK, you can't "fix" the memory effect of NiMH batteries - the fix is to run lithium.

So far I've not been able to locate lithium rechargable AA batteries, though.. Apparently they don't make them. You can buy disposable lithium battery packs that run for a long time, but they're expensive and non-rechargable.