Quantcast

I want a new guitar.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
well the link
leads to
Ernie Ball Folk Nylon acoustic guitar plain strings are made of a solid nylon clear filament. Nylon produces rich pure treble tones with percussive attack. Ernie Ball folk nylon wound strings are made of 80/20 bronze wrapped around a multifilament nylon core.

I'm not familiar with this style of string but it looks like it does exist with bronze wrapped low strings, which still have a nylon core. This may be what's on your guitar now.

The issue is beyond fit. The string tension will be too high with a full steel set, so your guitar's neck will bend like mine, and eventually crack. That design is intended for the lower tension.
Is it possible to tell just by looking if the wound strings are nylon core? I wouldn't want to assume that anything I picked up off of FB for free was properly cared for.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Is it possible to tell just by looking if the wound strings are nylon core? I wouldn't want to assume that anything I picked up off of FB for free was properly cared for.
The end will fringe if you pull on the bronze wire that's wound around it. The core is multiple threads like a cable.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well the link
leads to
Ernie Ball Folk Nylon acoustic guitar plain strings are made of a solid nylon clear filament. Nylon produces rich pure treble tones with percussive attack. Ernie Ball folk nylon wound strings are made of 80/20 bronze wrapped around a multifilament nylon core.

I'm not familiar with this style of string but it looks like it does exist with bronze wrapped low strings, which still have a nylon core. This may be what's on your guitar now.

The issue is beyond fit. The string tension will be too high with a full steel set, so your guitar's neck will bend like mine, and eventually crack. That design is intended for the lower tension.
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. Like I said, complete noob to the world of guitars, at least beyond air guitar.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

a good listen for the music nerds. quite the history lesson.

the BB King doc was pretty good too.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Had kind of a break through tonight. Still can't play that C for shit, but I did do a totally reasonable (for how long I've been playing, I guess) play along of Dead Flowers and Mad World. They were by no means perfect, I'm still only doing down strums on them, though I also managed a good play through of Three Little Birds doing D,D,UU,D, but I felt it. I played along, and it was rad. I want to do more of that.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Both my kids (my son - the oldest - especially) have already expressed an interest in music. I want to stoke that interest because I think music is a great think for kids to learn and have an appreciation of. We have a basic casio keyboard they like too. I'm trying to teach him scales, with mild success thus far. At their ages (6 and almost 4) I don't have very high expectations, but having the exposure and interest at this age is something I want to nurture. Like I said, I have no experience playing guitar (or any stringed instrument for that matter) so this is a learning experience for me as well. The cost of investment was low, so I wanna see how things go, both for the kids and myself.
I promise you will have far better success if someone else (who is not their parent) teaches them.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
As a bystander on this thread, I did enjoy the discussion of string types, but I want more discussion on the pickups and the guitar materials themselves, like the wood and whatever and how it affects the sound.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Keep an eye on those GC bankruptcy sales that must be coming.
That's actually a great idea, I may roll down to the GC and throw some insulting offers around, see if they bite.
Serious question.

Is haggling expected during the purchase of a new guitar? I mean, I get if I'm looking at something used on craigslist, or in a pawn shop, but new? I just recently started "watching" a couple of Telecasters on Reverb and have gotten several almost immediate "offers" of 10ish percent off posted asking price. I'm not really in the market for probably several more months, best case, but is it expected that I counter with an even smaller figure? This kind of baloney is why I hang on to cars for 20 years.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Serious question.

Is haggling expected during the purchase of a new guitar? I mean, I get if I'm looking at something used on craigslist, or in a pawn shop, but new? I just recently started "watching" a couple of Telecasters on Reverb and have gotten several almost immediate "offers" of 10ish percent off posted asking price. I'm not really in the market for probably several more months, best case, but is it expected that I counter with an even smaller figure? This kind of baloney is why I hang on to cars for 20 years.
You can haggle anywhere for anything. They can only say no.

I used to do it all the time for electronics and ask if they'd knock money off for cash.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Serious question.

I’m not sure what the Reverb culture is. In the past, it hasn’t been uncommon to haggle on new gear with Guitar Center or similar chain shops. It’s possible with smaller operations too, but not as common in my experience. Sometimes the “deal” is that they’ll throw in extra stuff like a case or strings or a cable so you get a package deal.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I’m not sure what the Reverb culture is. In the past, it hasn’t been uncommon to haggle on new gear with Guitar Center or similar chain shops. It’s possible with smaller operations too, but not as common in my experience. Sometimes the “deal” is that they’ll throw in extra stuff like a case or strings or a cable so you get a package deal.
A brief perusal of the GC website seems to suggest prices are on par with whatever I'm seeing on Reverb, which I guess implies haggling is expected at Reverb if that's the norm at GC. I emphatically detest shopping in such a manner. :disgust:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Very common. A lot of sellers are motivated to sell on Reverb and so offers and counter offers are the norm there. That said, I was never sent an unsolicited offer without having mine sent first. It's OK.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I see tons of used stuff using the “over price” technique. List a $200 item for $499 and see what offers roll in, seems to be the SOP. I think people got sick of listing a $200 item at $180 for a quick sale and then having low-ballers show up offering for $150.

I’m sorry if the term low-ballers is insensitive ;)

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I've bought and sold 4 guitars on Reverb and have haggled on most of them. It's ok.
Post up links to the Teles you're looking at !
I wasn't so much questioning if it's a Reverb thing, as an industry/standard practice thing. As far as what I've been peeping, these are the two I was watching that I was offered price cuts on.

Offer was 1439 shipping included.
Offer was for 1349 shipping included.

And I wasn't in the market for another acoustic, but I stumbled across these and the attraction is strong, for purely aesthetic reasons.

I’m sorry if the term low-ballers is insensitive ;)
The plural implies you're not talking to me! :D

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I wasn't so much questioning if it's a Reverb thing, as an industry/standard practice thing. As far as what I've been peeping, these are the two I was watching that I was offered price cuts on.

Offer was 1439 shipping included.
Offer was for 1349 shipping included.

And I wasn't in the market for another acoustic, but I stumbled across these and the attraction is strong, for purely aesthetic reasons.

The plural implies you're not talking to me! :D
Was watching this one too, but so far, no attempts at a hard sell.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Keep an eye out for Nash Tele models with light relic. I love their P and J bass models.

Give Reverend models a look too. My buddy’s cousin is the creator, and he’s been trying to get me into a Reverend for years. They’ve got some cool variations on classic themes, as well as some interesting signature models.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Was watching this one too, but so far, no attempts at a hard sell.

I have a USA built version of that guitar (the red one in this thread). My $.02 is those Gotoh 510 bridges are finicky to get setup so unless you REALLY want a trem, find a fixed bridge and work on your vibrato. Mine is dialed now, but I can see it being a detractor for less obsessive tweakers.
edit: like this one.

I'm not ready to burn a Norwegian church down yet. :rockout:
"yet"

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have a USA built version of that guitar (the red one in this thread). My $.02 is those Gotoh 510 bridges are finicky to get setup so unless you REALLY want a trem, find a fixed bridge and work on your vibrato. Mine is dialed now, but I can see it being a detractor for less obsessive tweakers.
edit: like this one.

"yet"
I had been avoiding floating tremolos like the plague until I got an ESP 7 string with a Floy Rose and it is the only guitar in my possession that absolutely definitely does not go out of tune, ever. The whole guitar is kick ass quality but the other ones need constant adjustments for temperature and humidity swings.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Sure, because a floyd rose is double locking. My old floyds NEVER went out of tune either. I'd like another :D

The trem above is not locking.