Quantcast

I want a new guitar.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
My collaborator got the audio boiled down to this, for anyone looking to listen without being on YT. I’m only partially through listening, but generally happy with the result. It was a long session with the usual assortment of highs and lows.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Overall, it's not too bad considering it's 80-90 years old and has never been stored in a case, that I'm aware of. The front and back are coming unglued, but no cracks. The strings that are on it stay in tune, so that's a good sign. It was my wife's grandfather's guitar and currently belongs to my sister-in-law. My goal is to just repair the damage, rather than a full restoration, and then instruct her on how best to take care of it. It currently lives in a corner next to the couch in her finished basement. :disgust1:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
My martin C1 was about in the same shape, less is more if you are going to do it yourself. Keeping it as original as possible will help with resale if thats your thing. Not sure what your resto budget is but it can be a rabbit hole to the purists out there. Find a couple local vintage guitar resto geeks and ask questions and one will stand out. I am lucky to have some pretty good shops around here.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I should also add that I have a Jackson Kelly from the mid 90’s that’s basically the Marty Friedman signature.

It does not make me sound as good as Marty Friedman. But it’s still a badass guitar.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I had a Flying V in high school. It was badass, but you basically HAVE to be standing up to play it. Great for performing, but not so much for practicing.
Dave Mustaine is disappointed that you would ever consider playing a Flying V sitting down.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In what is surely a sign of the times, I've been "watching" a number of guitars on Reverb and just noticed that sometime in the last 2 days, every brand new Fender in my list has gone up 200 dollars. I'm only watching "American Professionals", but I have to assume all the other lines have seen similar increases. None of the Gibsons I've been watching have gone up yet, but I bet they aren't far behind.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
In what is surely a sign of the times, I've been "watching" a number of guitars on Reverb and just noticed that sometime in the last 2 days, every brand new Fender in my list has gone up 200 dollars. I'm only watching "American Professionals", but I have to assume all the other lines have seen similar increases. None of the Gibsons I've been watching have gone up yet, but I bet they aren't far behind.
linky?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
A singular example, but is indicative of what they have all done. Earlier this week was 1599, now 1799. Every new one in my list has done the same.

edit: Some of the more "basic" colors were going new for 1499, but are now 1699

edit 2: weirdly, I can find a # of them still for sale at the OG price by searching new. Kind of seems like just my watch list went up in price. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
@mandown , this thing is kinda cool, and kinda lame at the same time. How are you getting with that thing you got?

Wow. That’s the Lisa Simpson of bass. An answer to a question that nobody asked. It does remind me of the Vai 3 neck monstrosity that’s circling the internet these days.

My little 1/2 scale bass is good but not great. I was concerned that the scale would be too short for me and it is. I can get around the neck but my playing positions are limited and depend which leg I test it on. The flat fretboard is tough for me and more radius would be helpful. Similarly, the back of the neck is a bit too flat and my weak left thumb can slip out of position at times. The build is good, but my paralysis makes everything a challenge. I should’ve gone for a slightly longer scale, which I might do. I certainly would work with the builder again.

I’ve also had some electronics nonsense. One of the volume pots failed and the tech who swapped it might’ve also tweaked something. Each pickup sounds good solo, but both together gets some phasing issues I didn’t notice before, but only at certain blend levels.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
@mandown , this thing is kinda cool, and kinda lame at the same time. How are you getting with that thing you got?

I can appreciate the creativity, workmanship and the unique quality of that bass, yadda yadda… but that’s ridiculous. And a monstrosity.

@mandown, who built your half scale?