Quantcast

Im confused... how on earth!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by SASQUATCH-J
its not a snob thing i dont think, not for me, i enjoy throwing myself of 20 foot cliffs, its fun! its not like i can go and do that on a kmart blue light special.
If you try to drag race a Hundai Sonota, you'll break it too. You're at a level of mountain biking where you require more expensive parts, but most of the population isn't.

car tires are the same price as bike tires??? HOW DOES THIS WORK! break pads for a car are cheaper! than hayes break pads. u can replace cv joints for cheaper than rear shock... not to mention shocks for a car are a hell of alot cheaper than bike shocks. ive done all these things to my car, so i actually know what the stuff costs!
You can get a bike tire for $10 at Wal-Mart. If you find me a place where I can get a car tire for that price, please let me know - I'd like one.. The rear shock that comes on the NEXT full suspension bike at K-Mart sure as heck doesn't cost as much as a CV joint.

A good, big, knobby DH tire, like a Michelin Comp32 2.8" costs $55. That's a top end tire. A good, big, knobby off road truck tire, that is a comperable top end tire like a BF Goodrich Mud Terrain, costs $130 - more than twice as much. And there are a hell of a lot more companies producing car tires, so because of competition, prices are driven down.

You're not grasping that you are looking at the top end of the parts, and comparing them to low end car parts because you're not a car snob so you don't look at the expensive parts.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by SASQUATCH-J
its not a snob thing i dont think, not for me, i enjoy throwing myself of 20 foot cliffs, its fun! its not like i can go and do that on a kmart blue light special. i used to ride the kmart special, snapped of the fork, and broke the frame in half! that was no fun! even when you spend 3,000 on a bike it does the same thing? how much do you have to spend for a little bit of security? it just seems like the parts you have to replace the most (drivetrain parts) are the most rediculous priced! this could be attributed and blamed completely on shimano! aha!
deraluers shouldnt cost that much, its the things like deraluers and shifters that are the most rediculous, little plastic parts, that cost $100 YAY!!!!
if people would realize its a ripoff and stop buying all this shtuff shimano would be forced to stop ripping people off. the bike shops are a ripoff too.
car tires are the same price as bike tires??? HOW DOES THIS WORK! break pads for a car are cheaper! than hayes break pads. u can replace cv joints for cheaper than rear shock... not to mention shocks for a car are a hell of alot cheaper than bike shocks. ive done all these things to my car, so i actually know what the stuff costs! its rediculous!
You cant tell me the sport isnt a ripoff, as fun as it is! i pay out the @ss for parts, and it just pisses me off that people (shimano) that makes these parts just sit back and look at money!
and comeon, do they really need to spend all that $$ on advertising and marketing?? i personally dont think it does alot of good.
J
Wow.

Car parts are produced in HUGE volumes, bike parts are not. You're talking about small time production (compared to automotive) This makes them relatively more expensive parts. Also most car parts are not produced with the same quality and materials as bike parts. Highly engineered lightweight alloy AND plastic parts are expensive.

And if you huck 20' drops, stuff breaks. The rear derailleur on a bicycle WAS NEVER DESIGNED FOR THIS. In fact, until recently NO bicycle parts were designed for this. Stuff breaks, deal. If you don't want to pay out the ass, stay on the bike path at the local park.

Hucks = bucks.

Ha!