Quantcast

July 1st I will become a criminal

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Because that is when a state law goes into effect, banning BBQ's for apartment dwellers. Who do not have an overhead sprinkler system. :angry:

Good thing I only have a grill and not a BBQ. :devil:

Apartment Deck BBQ's To Be Banned Soon

June 3, 2004

UNDATED - People who live in apartments or condos might want to grill their burgers sooner rather than later, because outdoor barbecues will be banned on the decks of many buildings across the state beginning July 1.

Beginning July 1, new building codes prohibit the use of open-flame gas or charcoal barbecues around balconies unless there is a sprinkler overhead. The rules apply to multifamily residential buildings, which are defined as three or more attached units.

MORE...

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Ok, now I'm angry... just before we move they decide to mke this a law? Man, I was soooo looking forward to having some monkeys over for a BBQ when we move in... GRRRR guess not anymore.

:angry:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Our apartment complex does not allow grills because they are considered a fire hazard. Another reason I am happy to be moving into a house in a couple of months. :) Two things to buy once we move: A dishwater and a kick ass grill.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Our apartment complex does not allow grills because they are considered a fire hazard. Another reason I am happy to be moving into a house in a couple of months. :) Two things to buy once we move: A dishwater and a kick ass grill.

And a lawn mower and weed wacker.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Originally posted by slcpunk21
Ok, now I'm angry... just before we move they decide to mke this a law? Man, I was soooo looking forward to having some monkeys over for a BBQ when we move in... GRRRR guess not anymore.

:angry:
Does your place you are looking at have a sprinkler system? Well, if you dont have a yard or a sprinkler system....... Well, I have quite the big yard and the play area in the woods and the jump in the front yard. Perfect for something if my parents allow it. :)

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Maybe you can just drink a bunch of beer and wear a t-shirt that says SPRINKLER whilst BBQ-ing?:D

I especially like the cut Christmas tree ban! :rolleyes:

They should ban candles too, and matches, and sticks and flint for that matter.... and go back to building stuff out of asbestos.... yeah!!!:rolleyes: :D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Funny thing is this is common in canada. I don't ever remember a time in Ontario where bbqing in apt was legal. Not only a firehazard but a carbonmonoxide hazard.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've had to deal with this as a term of my lease at most of my apartments for the last few years.

One option, though not a very good one, that gets around this is buying one of those large outdoor sized George Foreman outdoor grills. Since it's electric, it is usually excempt.

I settle on my house in July 1st, and there is a nice big deck out back. You can come grill here when I get my grill later that day.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
They did that here a few years ago...But there was a crapload of fires started because of the practice in these parts...

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
pretty common law/rule i think - it's like that where i live as well.

and i don't think it's a bad thing. i don't want some dumbass burning down my house just 'cause they're too lazy to walk out the front door to the lawn where they can grill safely.

splat

Nam I am
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
You need a dishwasher?

I have one sitting in my Garage. been saying I need to put an ad in the Want ad for it .

if you want it it 's yours

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I saw that on the news last night.

all I can say is..... haha :D

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Looks like I might be getting that electric water smoker after all.

But the article says "open flame" , does that exclude by Weber since it has a lid?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Tenchiro

But the article says "open flame" , does that exclude by Weber since it has a lid?

I don't think so. open flame is still open if you put a lid on it.

if you kick the thing over....hot lava, hot lava.

you need to move into a ground floor apt. so you can cook on the ground outside. that would piss off your neighbors I bet. :p

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA

I am not sure but charcol grill has no open flame...........:think: after a while atleast :D

You can always BBQ in the grass or on your tailgate of your truck.... They just don't want a bunch of little fireplaces that can get knocked over and burn massive buildings down. :rolleyes:

Maybe your apt complex can set up some outdoor charchol grills? We had them at school.

Just throwing thoughts out. It isn't as convienent as walking on your balcony to BBQ but it isn't the death of BBQing either.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
I am not sure but charcol grill has no open flame...........:think: after a while atleast :D
I was thinking that too.

But this bad boy is only $65 at Home Depot...

I could do some serious beer can chicken or spare ribs on that bad boy. :drool:

Not to mention the salmon possibilites.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
that thing has an open flame and not a hot plate inside it?

I just saw that 'Good Eats' show where he makes a smoker out of clay pots and uses a hot plate in the bottom. great idea.

and it would piss your neighbors off when they see you cooking outside and then find out, it's legal. ahahahahahahaha. :D

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by pnj
that thing has an open flame and not a hot plate inside it?

I just saw that 'Good Eats' show where he makes a smoker out of clay pots and uses a hot plate in the bottom. great idea.

and it would piss your neighbors off when they see you cooking outside and then find out, it's legal. ahahahahahahaha. :D
It's electric, but I can't beleive I missed that good eats... :(
Was it just terra cotta pots and a hot plate?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
It's electric, but I can't beleive I missed that good eats... :(
Was it just terra cotta pots and a hot plate?

it was actually a rerun so you missed it twice (at least):D

yea, he said the whole thing cost like $48.00. (which I doubt)

it was a terra cotta pot on the bottom that was about two feet tall and he used a shallower pot for a lid. then a hot plate and a pie pan he put the wood chips in. he had a grill rack from a weber style grill that fit perfectly inside.

I'm sure you could find something on google about it or something like it.

HITEK - No, I didn't build that, it came w/ the house we bought. but you can build them easily. Google is your friend.:)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Now that is hella trick! :thumb:
it is pretty cool. and if you read the thread on that link above, that guy said he paid 52 bucks for all the parts. so not too bad.

the only problem I have with this design is that to add wood you need to pull your meat out (;)). which means you risk dropping it off the balcony or on the floor.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by pnj
it is pretty cool. and if you read the thread on that link above, that guy said he paid 52 bucks for all the parts. so not too bad.

the only problem I have with this design is that to add wood you need to pull your meat out (;)). which means you risk dropping it off the balcony or on the floor.
I think adding a smaller grate at the bottom, that sits above the wood, would be good to hold a dish of water.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I think adding a smaller grate at the bottom, that sits above the wood, would be good to hold a dish of water.

yea, I thought it was kinda weird that he didn't do that in his show (alton)

but I think he was trying to spend the least amount and make it as simple as possible. did you see the show where he made a smoker out of a fridge, in a junkyard or something?

for the price, I would just buy the one you posted above though, unless you want to build one to say "I made it".

:D posting too fast man. yea, that is cool. thermometer is good.