Quantcast

***Le Tuesderp GMT***

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spending the morning teaching degreed engineers how to read prints, should I at some point slip in the fact that not only am I a real engineer, I have zero formal training at all? Or say screw it and just add all the completely un-measurable dimensions they're asking for?

Gunna need more coffee
Once sat in a design review for a CNC machine when the part designer got all pissed off because he didn't think the indexing plan the supplier name up with would work. Turns out he made the part datum the center of a solid part.

After a lull in hours of arguing I asked the designer how he was planning on measuring features to the datum, things got real quiet and the meeting was rescheduled for a later date.

I didn't get invited back.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What does this mean?
Numbnuts defined the point that all the part dimensions were measured from as being at the center of a solid part (i.e. where there's no physical feature to measure anything off of).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thanks. So "part datum" is like the 0,0,0 point and should be on the surface or a corner?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks. So "part datum" is like the 0,0,0 point and should be on the surface or a corner?
Basically. Depends a little bit on what you're doing, but either a corner or the center of a hole are most common.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think I saw this knife at knives ship free recently, it is certainly a looker with the orange liners.
Sure is. Shape looks about perfect, the size is just right, and it's S90V, so it should stay nice and sharp in use. My current hunting knife is a Bark River Gunny, but it is a bit thick and could benefit from having its point dropped more.

Got mine through DLT Trading. They've been great for me in the past.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Winter is definitely approaching. Had my first bloody nose of the season this morning, and tumbleweeds are currently migrating north across the ramp.
Funny you say that. The deck chairs are migrating across the deck right now.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Who the F rides in Cantwell?

and no it’s not good, there are Fing moose everywhere.