Quantcast

Let you tell me about Denver...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My wife just drove around and checked out a few neighborhoods that my sister suggested. These neighborhoods are probably highly relevant to teh Joker's interests:

1. Washington Park. Older layout, older homes, cute little "downtown" area.

2. Lowry. www.lowry.org, converted former air force base. "Cookie cutter" in that it's a newer development over the last 20 years or so, but given that there's a little "Lowry village" with amenities nearby and a nice mix of house price ranges ("100s to millions") within the same greater neighborhood, not out of the question by any means. I favor newer construction anyway for the layout and higher insulation.

3. Stapleton. Converted former airport. Very similar to Lowry only minus the planned-development "village" bit. Kind of out by itself in the middle of a field, but has a nice little greenbelt running through it with multi-use trails, mini parks with play equipment and such similar junk

4. Aurora proper, near the (UC) University med center. While the med center was huge and beautiful, Aurora, or at least what we saw of it, was not. Older construction and high variability from block to block. No cars on blocks in the front yard but not too many steps removed from that. Neither the type of houses nor the type of neighborhood we're interested in.

Finally, to give a ballpark idea of price, we grabbed a few random flyers from houses for sale that we passed while driving by, and one attractive one in Lowry on a small lot (4500 sq ft) measuring 2750 sq ft itself with a 2 car garage was $425k asking price. There was plenty of variation smaller and larger with prices as appropriate.
Good suggestions if Joker is interested in "city" suburban living. But those are all pretty far from the "mountain" terrain. After-work rides and such would be a lot more time-consuming from any of those locales.

Oh - and houses in Wash Park tend to be heinously expensive. Comparatively speaking.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, those were tailored by my sister for my possible future setup, where I'd be at University Hospital and Denver Health, with after-work recreation an afterthought. I'm not going to all of Joker's research for him. :D

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
2. Lowry. www.lowry.org, converted former air force base. "Cookie cutter" in that it's a newer development over the last 20 years or so, but given that there's a little "Lowry village" with amenities nearby and a nice mix of house price ranges ("100s to millions") within the same greater neighborhood, not out of the question by any means. I favor newer construction anyway for the layout and higher insulation.
I live in Lowry; the town center is pretty convenient and overall it's a nice place to live. However, it's kind of "land locked" in the fact that there are no highways close by, and it takes longer than I'd prefer to get to/from riding. If I didn't work close by, I'd prefer to be closer to the mountains for sure.

One thing I haven't seen much mention about: Denver has a serious lack of highways, and traffic SUX. I highly recommend not buying a place far from where you work, as driving across town through traffic is horrendous.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nick -we're working on it now. probably going to do a 4-day weekend to get some gauge on the neighborhoods, etc. I'll let you know as.we get a better idea. Most likely before mid-April.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So we are tentatively planning Sat, April 16 to Wed April 20. If you guys are around for dinner/drinks on the evening of the 16th, we'd love to meet you in person finally. It's only been what, 10 years? Btw, SS, what is your real name?

If you guys can PM me your email/phone I can take this offline.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
The commute to the Tech Center will blow donkey balls, though.
That commute blows elephant balls.

If you have to take I-25 to get anywhere in any direction during rush hour you better be ok with bumper to bumper or getting to work before 7am. I used to live downtown and work in SW Denver near C470. I'd leave at 6am to avoid traffic.

Same thing with ski traffic, leave at 6am. I think I'll move to Idaho, everyone should. Denver sucks.;)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
parker is nice and out of the way.....commuting from there....not so much.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
parker is nice and out of the way.....commuting from there....not so much.
I lived 8 miles south of Parker in the late 70s early 80s. From Arapaho Road to Parker was nothing but sod farms and the town itself had less than 3500 residents. I was there about 5 years ago and was blown away by the sprawl.

Ginger Baker lived there for a bit before moving to South Africa - its would have been kick ass to have him as a neighbor.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Okay, we've pushed our trip due to local constraints here. Looks like mid-May, so I'll keep you in the loop once Wifey sends me the dates.

kmac25

Chimp
Mar 24, 2011
castle rock is a great place, but not too much riding here. a couple good x country riding areas and we have a very small dh bike park witha pedal up and 3 trails. but your less the 2 hours away from sol vista and trestle!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
read what pesqueeb posted.
and then ignore it. ain't no hate up in here. mt herman alone will wash it all away (found new trails this a.m. & another put-in to stoopid trail off mt herman rd)

but if you must have denver access, consider douglas county, west side. only 30 min from buffalo creek (down 67) and front range trails both north & south.

it's a little bit of cheddar, but you've been swingin' your dick around for a couple yrs, so crack open your wallet. at least take a tour of the area, and ignore the bloodstains if you get shown a particularly nice mcmansion off 105 that just became available last month due to a hit job gone wrong.

srsly, read up on douglas county, paying particular atten to perry park; it's not as expensive as i know some might say, esp if you're right by renfair (ghey-eee!)
...Bonnie Brae...
gun to head i would put this on the short list. has a nice neighborhoody feel where you can walk around or have burly in tow.
Parker is suburban hell now...
this
Bring skis.
and this

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
read what pesqueeb posted.
and then ignore it. ain't no hate up in here. mt herman alone will wash it all away (found new trails this a.m. & another put-in to stoopid trail off mt herman rd)
You shut your whorish mouth, you know I'm right about the people. :p I do like Mt Herman, been a while, must go back.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well, this all just got unlikely. Wifey is in final rounds of interviews with a major local company. should be a notable pay increase and I have not been finding much of interest outside of finance in the DEN area.
We're still going to be in Denver Thurs-Sun May 5-8. We're making it a little mini vacation to get away from SF for a few days. We would still love to get drinks/dinner with a lot of you guys.

Last edited:

kmac25

Chimp
Mar 24, 2011
if you mus be in denver area. consider castle rock seriously. right in the middle of denver and colorado springs and its 30 minutes from downtown. Its in douglas county which has good schools. Great people too