Quantcast

MonkeyFest '04 Relevant Info

Are you attending MonkeyFest 2004?

• Total voters

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I read through the sticky post, but there's not a lot of planning type info in there. So how about some good info for us first timers?

Is there an address we can use for Mapquest directions?

I'm assuming there will be lots of riding Saturday... what about Friday? Sunday?

I saw NEGladeRider offered his yard for camping - Thanks! Is it big enough for all of us, or should some of us be making other arrangements? If we need to find our own camping, any public campgrounds near by?

Is it just a set of public trails, or is it on state park/forrest land? Or is it private? Are camp fires allowed?

Any water up there? Any fresh/running water or should we bring bottled? how about a lake/pond for swimming/bathing?

How far is the nearest supermarket for food? LBS for parts/repairs?

I figured I'd throw in a poll to try and get a feel for how many people are coming.

That should just about cover it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I think the only thing you're concerned with is if you're gonna be able to have enough time to clean all your bike while you're there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would like some of this info as well... I'm a MonkeyFest virgin. Be gentle.

Also, we have to purchase passes to ride on those trails, right? Those are available the day of, I assume - how much do they run?

edit: Also, how much of my resources should be spent trying to piece together an XC bike? I'm riding a ~32lb. Evil Imperial w/ a 5" fork... Are there other people there who are only lugging their freeride bikes onto the XC trails? I saw a bunch of freeride bikes in the video clips from last year's, but didn't know if they came with multiple rides.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I think the one day there is some shutteling runs... but I too am a virgin to Monkey Fest.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
I think the one day there is some shutteling runs... but I too am a virgin to Monkey Fest.
Well, I don't mind climbing at all, but if everyone else is on their 23lb. XC hardtails, I'm not in the kind of shape where my 1200g Michelins and slack geometry is going to keep up :D

I may be able to get ahold of an XC hardtail for the weekend, though, which is why I ask.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Well, I don't mind climbing at all, but if everyone else is on their 23lb. XC hardtails, I'm not in the kind of shape where my 1200g Michelins and slack geometry is going to keep up :D

I may be able to get ahold of an XC hardtail for the weekend, though, which is why I ask.
I'm bringing my Hollowpoint with the Kenda tires I put on probably weights about 30lbs'ish.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I read through the sticky post, but there's not a lot of planning type info in there. So how about some good info for us first timers?

Is there an address we can use for Mapquest directions?
Use East Burke Sports, State Route 114 East Burke, VT 05832. It's an LBS right at the Kingtom Trails trailhead.

I'm assuming there will be lots of riding Saturday... what about Friday? Sunday?
Ride whenever you want. The "big" group rides will be Saturday and Sunday, but there will be a few stragglers going out Friday too.

I saw NEGladeRider offered his yard for camping - Thanks! Is it big enough for all of us, or should some of us be making other arrangements? If we need to find our own camping, any public campgrounds near by?
NeGladeRider's yard is very well suited for camping. Lots of space and flat. If you'd rather stay at a real campground, you can can stay at the Burke Mountain campground a few miles down the road.

Is it just a set of public trails, or is it on state park/forrest land? Or is it private? Are camp fires allowed?
The trails are on both public and private land, but they are all legal and very well marked. There are trail signs everywhere and detailed maps are available. Not sure where you want to have a campfire, but there was a bonfire at Monkeycamp last year.

Any water up there? Any fresh/running water or should we bring bottled? how about a lake/pond for swimming/bathing?
Not sure about showers or bathing, but NeGladeRider has outdoor faucets at his house.

How far is the nearest supermarket for food? LBS for parts/repairs?
There is a small market right in the center of town next door to the LBS. The LBS is at the trailhead and sells trail passes. They are pretty good about on-the-spot repairs.

I figured I'd throw in a poll to try and get a feel for how many people are coming.

That should just about cover it.

Did I miss anything? BTW, I am not staying at camp. I'm going to crash at Jollytime's house about ten minutes outside of town.

I Are Baboon said:
The trails are on both public and private land, but they are all legal and very well marked. There are trail signs everywhere and detailed maps are available. Not sure where you want to have a campfire, but there was a bonfire at Monkeycamp last year.
But you do need to buy trail passes - you can get them at East Burke Sports.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
I'm thinking about camping at the campground. Anybody else want to?
FYI, camping at the Burke Mountain campgound will save you a pain-in-the-ass road climb Sunday morning. ;) (though it will not completely eliminate the climb)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BikeGeek said:
The campground is nice, but from the look of last year's pictures, the party will be at NEGR's place!
I'm just thinking for showering and stuff the campground may be better instead of NEGR's place.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
FYI, camping at the Burke Mountain campgound will save you a pain-in-the-ass road climb Sunday morning. ;) (though it will not completely eliminate the climb)

:confused: (road climb???)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
stosh said:
I'm just thinking for showering and stuff the campground may be better instead of NEGR's place.
I might be picking up a solar shower thing. Depends on the price. Otherwise I'll be bringing a huge box of baby wipes. :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Kingdom Trails is over 100 miles of trails with lots of different entry points. This road climb is actually the easiest way to Dead Moose Alley, a killer downhill trail.
DH = :confused:

:) Good thing my bash ring is coming tomorrow. Oh and I should probably buy some pads by then too, it's something I've been meaning to get. That way I don't have to borrow Echo's again.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BikeGeek said:
I might be picking up a solar shower thing. Depends on the price. Otherwise I'll be bringing a huge box of baby wipes. :D
I'm still in the process of easing my GF into camping.... baby steps.... if you know what I mean.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Maybe... depends on cost mostly I guess.

$12.00 tent site (small trailer or camper)
$16.50 lean-to

We could split the cost and put 2 tents up maybe?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
stosh said:
DH = :confused:

:) Good thing my bash ring is coming tomorrow. Oh and I should probably buy some pads by then too, it's something I've been meaning to get. That way I don't have to borrow Echo's again.
DH, meaning it goes down a hill. :) I rode it on my XC hardtail last year. There are some optional drops on it though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BikeGeek said:
DH, meaning it goes down a hill. :) I rode it on my XC hardtail last year. There are some optional drops on it though.
Right I figured that but I think pads would be a good idea. Even just for my legs.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
double wuss.....the party/fun is at NEG's
Ok ok... well we'll see what happens.

How come you didn't call IAB a wuss for staying at a house 10miles away?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
I raced Dalton, therefore I am not a wuss. :cool:
Ha! Hell I'm not going to monkey fest to ride I'm just going to get my user title changed.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
stosh said:
Ha! Hell I'm not going to monkey fest to ride I'm just going to get my user title changed.
You might end up with something worse... :sneaky:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
stosh said:
Showering? Bah, we are all going to stink of sweat and beer anyway so don't worry about showering all that much Stosh!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Showering? Bah, we are all going to stink of sweat and beer anyway so don't worry about showering all that much Stosh!
I didn't shower all weekend at MBW but the Sally's that went with me did.