Quantcast

Mountain vs Road Bike

Jk1980

Chimp
Mar 23, 2023
Hi All,
I am on the fence on purchasing a new bike and I can only choose one because of lack of $$.
In the last couple of years I have been saving up for another bike and was leaning towards getting a road bike. This would be my first road bike.
Currently my mountain bike front shock is not locking out and probably needs to be replaced. Since the price of a decent shock will cost the price of the value of the bike if not more, it would probably be better to just buy a new one.
That being said I am curious to know which way I should go?
Is it better to give road a try and begin saving for a new mountain bike, or continue to be curious and save for a road bike?
I know this is MTBR and the answer might be obvious, but I am sure many of you ride both and was hopping to hear from those who do ride both.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Depends what the trails are like near you and which type of riding you might want to focus on.

But I have a rigid 29er bike with XC tyres that I happily take on some of my local singletrack trails, dirt roads AKA "gravel" and on the road.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ohhhh, this is not Empty Beer, everyone here has a full beer and a get off my lawn sign.

My local bike path now has a warning on for cyclists to dismount because it's a bit bumpy.
Fat old men on roadies like to whinge about the condition of the track but what they should do is buy a bike that can handle a 1" high bump.

Always buy the mountain bike, it's not a one trick pony.

Ohhhh, this is not Empty Beer, everyone here has a full beer and a get off my lawn sign.

My local bike path now has a warning on for cyclists to dismount because it's a bit bumpy.
Fat old men on roadies like to whinge about the condition of the track but what they should do is buy a bike that can handle a 1" high bump.

Always buy the mountain bike, it's not a one trick pony.
Well, neither is a road bike. My first month or two of riding off road was on a road bike, which got the shit kicked out of it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's a weird copy and paste.
I assumed it was a genuine copy and paste by somebody that wants more attention than one forum can give.