Quantcast

My Evil Soverign rides again (lots of pics)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
By the way, any of you guys have any ideas about what I could do for a new seatpost shim? Evil didn't respond to my inquiries, but of course they were only emails...maybe I should call.

The outer diameter of the shim isn't sized like anything you'd find on the open market, correct?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
By the way, any of you guys have any ideas about what I could do for a new seatpost shim? Evil didn't respond to my inquiries, but of course they were only emails...maybe I should call.

The outer diameter of the shim isn't sized like anything you'd find on the open market, correct?
Hmm ... good question. The inner diameter of my shim is very close to that of the seatpost, so I can slide it down, but it always sticks to the post when I slide it up. Try a call, or perhaps DW will chime in.

What happened to the old one?

If all else fails, I'm happy to take it off to grab measurements for you.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I have mine, but it got a bit squished at some point... Evil didn't answer my email but I should call. Since the company's changed somewhat I don't know what support they're offering for these old frames.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Mine in and always has been loose in the seat tube. It looks like it was bonded at one time, but no more. I can pull it out and give you some measurements, assuming I can borrow a caliper.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
But what shim do we need?

If the Sovereign could take one of these shims, which all come in the same diameter as seatposts I think, couldn't it just take a larger size seatpost instead??

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
But what shim do we need?

If the Sovereign could take one of these shims, which all come in the same diameter as seatposts I think, couldn't it just take a larger size seatpost instead??
Gotcha. Yes, you can definitely run a larger diameter seatpost if you can find a size that will work. The shim allows you to run the common 31.6mm.

Eyeballing it with my steel ruler, it looks like a Thomson 32.4mm might do the trick:
SP-E155 * 32.4 dia. x 367 mm 248 g $99.95
http://bikethomson.com/products/seatposts/elite/

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Weird. If it can run without the shim, why did they do it in the first place?? I thought it was some deal where the tube Weagle wanted to use didn't come in a diameter which would accommodate any seatpost at all.

Alas, even if it fits I bet I'll have to hone the seattube, but it'd be SO nice to adjust my height and not have to wrestle with an insert that doesn't want to let the post in, and pops out rather than letting the post slide through, no matter how often it's been greased.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Weird. If it can run without the shim, why did they do it in the first place?? I thought it was some deal where the tube Weagle wanted to use didn't come in a diameter which would accommodate any seatpost at all.

Alas, even if it fits I bet I'll have to hone the seattube, but it'd be SO nice to adjust my height and not have to wrestle with an insert that doesn't want to let the post in, and pops out rather than letting the post slide through, no matter how often it's been greased.
I think dw used the shim to allow for the more common size of 31.6mm. I don't know how many people make the larger size.

I would prefer no shim at all. Like you, I have to wrestle with it every time I want to raise my seat. If I want to raise my seat, I just pop the whole thing out, put the shim back in the frame & drop it to the right height.

If 32.4mm will work, I'll seriously consider getting one.

Would be great if dw could pop in to confirm... or if there are Sov owners have tried this.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice. 6'2" on a regular is definitely not recommended.

I'm 5'10" and my regular feels good for a mix of street/dj/xc.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
You got any pics of it in the XC mode?? Curious to see how it looks like !

Thanks!!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You got any pics of it in the XC mode?? Curious to see how it looks like !

Thanks!!

This is the best picture of it in XC mode... which means swapping the seat, post, pedals and tires. The only other thing I change sometimes is the stem... but I haven't been doing that much lately as it's a bit of a pain to constantly swap it along with all those other things :)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Man, am back on the bike in India and digging it. This frame is pretty much the exact bike I'd have built as a custom but maybe a hair taller and shorter.

Moving around the world, I made the right choice to hang on to this bike. It is perfect for adapting to all conditions. Just keep the parts on hand to singlespeed it or rigid/sprung up front and you're set.

Just threw it back together using a single front ring and rear cluster, because I am now throwing the kiddie in an iBert seat and the singlespeed setup was not conducive to not-breaking her neck with the back-and-forth as I tried to climb up hills. Miss the singlespeed but what can you do except shift less when riding solo?

Had to do some hack Dremel surgery to my old SRS guide to make it fit with the LX cranks. She needs a new headset badly.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice man. It is a really adaptable frame. I was out ripping some trails on mine yesterday. It felt great to dust off the winter cobwebs.

I'm with you on the singlespeed setup, but like you the situation dictates the setup. I'm currently on a 1x9 and probably will be for some time.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
OK, got a schematic for the shim from Evil. They have no spare shims, but the schematic puts the OD of the shim at 32.6. Guessing a 32.4-31.6 shim would work fine, esp. because you could deal with the .2 mm gap easily enough if it was an issue. I don't have the experience to know if this tiny difference is negligible or not.

Threadlocker? Exhaust putty? Something could go in there and 1) fill space 2) help keep the shim in position during seat height changes.

But would a 32.4mm post be problematic? If the size gap turns out to be an issue, you couldn't deal with it like you could with a stationary 32.4 shim. Maybe an experiment is in order, but I don't wanna order a Thomson or something to find out. A few carbon FSAs available on Ebay for decent prices. Maybe I'll try one out.

But then again, the seat tube isn't prepped, either, and I don't want to order a $30 flex-hone for the job. I remember Partsbara's DOC scratched the hell out of his post when he put it into the new bike. (and I recall the ensuing e-tiff with DW...)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
.2mm ~ .008", which is small enough you can probably get away with it. If that fails, a little retaining compound between the shim and the frame should do the trick. It's also totally possible they designed the shim to be a little oversized so it pressed in very slightly and didn't move so much when you moved the post. .008" seems a little high for that though.

I'd be worried about running a full diameter post for the exact reason you mentioned- the tube probably isn't prepped well, since it was intended to be run with a shim, which could cause a lot of headaches down the road.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Awesome Mike. Love the one under the mango tree! My mind is picturing paths that go on forever.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Awesome Mike. Love the one under the mango tree! My mind is picturing paths that go on forever.
Moni, I can't wait to take the dirt roads out farther. There's lots to explore...!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
nice.
I want one of these or a SC Chameleon.
Hard to imagine that the bikes of the moment when I was living in SoCal and biking all weekend every weekend are now quaint classics...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
TN: my blue, original, long frame will be up for sale along with a few parts as soon as I can strip it down and clean 'er up. Shoot me a msg if interested.
I'm a shorty & the biggest I would want is a med. I would be all over it, if it were.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The only sizes they made were Regular and Long. My long is like a hair over 23" IIRC; the regs may be 22-22.5"

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The only sizes they made were Regular and Long. My long is like a hair over 23" IIRC; the regs may be 22-22.5"
Yes... you want the long. The provide geo chart isn't accurate.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Back to suspension, and some new UST shoes to boot. (WTB Wolverine 2.2s) The Z1 got new seals and oil and is buttah now. This was all an attempt to stop me from spending a few thou on a new Kona Hanzo or Explosif Ti.
IMG_20150919_131226.jpg
IMG_20150919_131231.jpg

Going to put gears on, too, I think. 1x9 oldschool, although a 1x10/11 setup is tempting too. I like my rigid singlespeed arrangement, but the chunked-up rock-studded roads are just too brutal for anything other than a short spin, and the guys I've found to ride with here like to grind out the miles. Fuckin' Dutchmen. The rigid was good for showing them up on the few real tech sections we've got, though... :)

Might be needing a new seat sometime.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sweet! Yes, put some gears on and continue to resist the temptation... evil is much sweeter!

I'm still rocking the 1x9... have been thinking 1x10 to go from a 34 to a 36 low gear but can't really find a good reason yet... figure I'll just get stronger and save myself some headache and $$$.

Here's some inspiration (click for bigger photos)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nice--I miss leaves. They look nice. But I'll be in DC for my next gig, for like 3-4 years, so there'll be some nice local woodsy riding. Just have to deal with a massive deployment schedule. I just ordered one of those MonkeyNutz fenders, too. Probably be here just after end of rainy season of course.

No reason to leave 1x9 if you have the stuff laying around. Upgrade when your stuff finally wears out...

If I am ever going to blow a huge amount on a bike again, I'll probably go ahead and get a full suss with all the trimmings. Till then, oldschool HT all the way. The weird guy on that 26" artifact. :)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, and I have a dinglespeed setup right now. It's actually pretty cool, but for these long rides I think I need a better spread. I have one flat/descent gear and one climbing/trail gear. Still, the big climbs are killing me. Great exercise but I am smoked long before anyone else in the group.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Cool. DC area has some fun riding and you're driving distance from lots. The sov will be a good bike for there too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
received_272960414708321.jpeg

He can't believe I am still at it with this thing.

Back to singlespeed but not rigid-fork 29er front because the trails are insanely rutted and shitty at the moment.