Quantcast

NBR, and completely self-involved...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...but holy crap, after months and months of testing, and planning, and procedure writing, and scrapping ideas, and coming up with new ideas, and writing validation protcols, and putting off other work, and making presentations, and begging for help and validating hundreds and hundreds of records...

We finally turned on the new Quality Module for our Oracle database!

I am frickin' PSYCHED.

It's funny.. The culmination of months and months of hard work, and I went to the Oracle admin to turn it on, and it was just two mouse clicks. Kind of anti-climactic.

Tonight, there will be much rejoycing.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
No idea what this post is about but it sounds like congradulations is in order, so CONGRADULATION!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
haha, awesome. you guys wrote this module in house?
No, it's something that Oracle sells, but it's a pretty bare-bones module, and requires a lot of setup and customization. Implementation for it was a bitch. Had to figure out what data we actually needed collected, how it fit in with our current processes, how we needed to change our processes, just how much of the functionality we could use without changing things too much...

The module is still very much in its infant stages, so it doesn't exactly drop right into normal business practices.

Stosh: thanks. It's a tool that fits in with our database that allows a tremendous amount of control over the product that we buy, sell, and make. Does a lot of data collection of product tolerances and such, then allows us to define actions based on how far off the tolerances are (e.g. if 25 products out of a shipment of 6000 are damaged, we can set off certain flags, notify the supplier of the damaged product they shipped to us, etc., or if a syringe we produce is X amount out of spec, do this...)

It also does a lot of trending and reporting so we can get some visuals of how things are going - whether or not a supplier is shipping us more or less bad product, how we're doing in production as far as amount of product scrapped each month.. Stuff like that.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah but my question is who really cares if a syringe is a few ml's off?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
Yeah but my question is who really cares if a syringe is a few ml's off?
:nuts:

Remember you said that, down the road, when you find out you're getting some regional anesthesia before surgery... There's a good chance we produced that regional anesthesia kit - but who cares if it's a little bit off.. ;) :D

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
binary visions said:

Remember you said that, down the road, when you find out you're getting some regional anesthesia before surgery... There's a good chance we produced that regional anesthesia kit - but who cares if it's a little bit off.. ;) :D

Regional as :eek: in naughty regions? :eek:

J

JRB

Congrats - we got a new ERP system from QAD in May and we don't have any of our programming 100% and we have successfully started pissing the customers off. :(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco-gringo said:
Congrats - we got a new ERP system from QAD in May and we don't have any of our programming 100% and we have successfully started pissing the customers off. :(
We implemented Oracle about two years ago and the first few months was an absolute atrocity.

How's the QAD system looking? Good luck with it!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Knuckleslammer said:
FORACLE. I'M UPGRADING TO THE PIECE OF GARBAGE 11.5.9 ORACLE IS A F'N
:oink:
11.5.9? CHECK!

Just upgraded last week - another nightmare of validations and testing. Working in a regulated industry is a PITA.

My Oracle can beat up your Oracle...

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Knuckleslammer said:
Why are you guys still on 8.1.7.4

Lazy DBA bums. :mumble:

Knuckle
Well, I don't know what kind of company you work at, but for a medical device company making upgrades to our database is an enormous undertaking. We have to have lots of paperwork to prove to the FDA that the upgrades didn't have any affect on the database contents or functionality of the system. Therefore, we are always a little behind on upgrades.

11.5.10 looks to have some good stuff - did some beta testing of it; should be coming out this summer. Upgrade for us is planned in December.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:

is it laughing gas???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
is it laughing gas???

Not hardly! We make a lot of spinal and epidural anesthesia trays.. Picture a big, 3"+ long needle being inserted into your back..

Gas is general anesthesia - that is, anesthesia for your whole body. Regional anesthesia is hitting a nerve center with a drug to numb certain parts of your body.

We make a lot of other stuff too.