Quantcast

NBR:Anyone get laser eye sugery?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I've been thinking about getting this done for a while now, but I've only talked to a few people that have had it done. Of the people I talked to, they all love it. But none of them are very active or into outdoor sports. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I ride with someone who had it done several years ago. He (along with everyone else I know) says its the best thing he's ever done.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I work with two people who have had it done.. They are both very happy with the results. One of them chose to go a safer route... From what he tells me, it requires less surgery on your eye and fixes it enough that he has to wear glasses when reading, but not the rest of the time.

One comment: this does not protect your eyes from degenerating further, and you can only have it once. The other woman I work with had it done about 6 years ago and has recently had to start wearing glasses again. She said that while she loved the 6 years she could see perfectly, she would have rather waited and had it done when her eyes were really bad.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I had t done 2 years ago and love it. It does not prevent your eyes from getting worse but mine had been pretty stable for about 4 years. I either play softball, hockey, or ride everyday of the week and have had no problems so far.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I had it done a couple years ago, best money I ever spent. I got it done in the off season so I wouldn't lose much riding time. I can't even imagine dealing with the inconvenience, expense, and all the other crap that used to come with wearing glasses and contacts. My only regret is that I didn't get it done sooner.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I used to be nervous about it, but now I can't wait to get it done!!! I know it's going to be the best thing I've ever done. And it's so cheap now. I've heard of people paying as little as $1100 cdn.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I paid $886 US to have it done in Canada. The dude who did my surgery was one of the first doctors ever to do it, and has done the surgery successfully over 20,000 times. I'll take that any day over paying $2500 US to have it done by some local dude who does 2 surgeries a week :rolleyes:

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
andy august, the owner of park ave bikes had it done.

he races xc and road, a lot, and for a year had no problems, and loved it.

at the 18 month point his eyes started to revert, and he needs to wear glasses again. apparently there is not enough cornea left to do the surgery again.

he had it done locally, but i do not know where. his vision is still better than it was before surgery.