Quantcast

New Bike Products

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. if its the colour palate you object to, mine is a simple metallic dark gray, so maybe that makes a difference?
Is there any other colour than black/dark grey? I have the first gen and like it for its fitting on my noggin, its ventilation and for its ability to protect my command unit from the stupid decisions it sometimes makes. Tested the latter via a direct hit to my forehead after a high speed otb some time ago - did its job pretty well.
The new one gives me eye cancer with that flat offset part on top ending in the peak or visor thingy out front, brrrrr... :bad: :think:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Is there any other colour than black/dark grey? I have the first gen and like it for its fitting on my noggin, its ventilation and for its ability to protect my command unit from the stupid decisions it sometimes makes. Tested the latter via a direct hit to my forehead after a high speed otb some time ago - did its job pretty well.
The new one gives me eye cancer with that flat offset part on top ending in the peak or visor thingy out front, brrrrr... :bad: :think:
ha! yeah, I think I have the older one as well. I agree, the new one doesn't do it for me either.

I tend to prefer dayglo neon colours because my helmets also pull double-duty for cycling in the city. I'll do anything I can to draw the attention of drivers distracted by their phones. Plus, I discovered bright high-contrasting colours look better in photos...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
A mate has their trail kneepads. You need skinny legs for them, but he loves them and they're tidily done.
I have them too, and wouldn't consider my legs skinny. They're fucking awesome, by far the most comfortable and chafe-free knee pads I've tried (and I've tried a lot). They scored tops in the Enduro-MTB impact tests too.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Rapha is an EU company…or maybe it isn’t now after Brexit, U.K. certainly.

and the brain dead collab is looking at brands like Arcteryx, Palace and Salomon who’ve crossed the world of a very online fan base and an outdoors product. It’s not for everyone (in context of price, colour and purpose of use) but what good things are?
Well there is a big difference between "not for everyone" and aesthetics that cause seeing inside ark of the covenenant type symptoms.

I'm surprised it's Rapha, missed that. I agree with Gary. Most of their stuff is good on many levels. So I don't get why they are selling a bike jersey that looks like it was designed by people who produce gaming keyboards.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Well there is a big difference between "not for everyone" and aesthetics that cause seeing inside ark of the covenenant type symptoms.

I'm surprised it's Rapha, missed that. I agree with Gary. Most of their stuff is good on many levels. So I don't get why they are selling a bike jersey that looks like it was designed by people who produce gaming keyboards.
did you miss that one?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
can you compare them to the 7idp sam hills?
The Sam Hills have generic, non-reactive foam that doesn't do much around the edges, and their main reactive pad doesn't absorb much impact (not very reactive, feels kinda like a hard cap). The set I had tore above the padding the first time I went OTB, and ended up with pretty bad scraping down the knee. They also chafed pretty bad at the top of my shin, and were very warm.
The Raphas are much less warm, and the reactive pad does a better job absorbing/dispersing impact shock. If you exclude the generic foam of the Sam Hills, the coverage is pretty close to the same (goes quite a ways down shin). I've been wearing them under pants all fall/winter, and they've been plenty comfortable. The silicon grippers on the top of the sleeve have the best design I've seen: it's a series of ~2" tall vertical strips. By making them vertical strips, they don't tend to crack and peel off after multiple washings, and they're so long that they resist bunching up or folding. They don't irritate my leg hairs/skin as much wearing them for several hours at a time. They're basically a better version of the TLD Stage in all aspects (except slightly warmer), which is my #2 pick.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hell I have 2 sets of 661 Kyle strait knee pads I hunted down and scored new from a guy..
Haven't tried alot lately did try fox and a couple others, but good ol strait never chaffed or left my legs on a digger...

I'll have to look at those , my legs aren't skinny nor calf's but maybe....would be nice to have options

@boogenman how's the head??? Hope it's all good.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So I don't get why they are selling a bike jersey that looks like it was designed by people who produce gaming keyboards
It's "limited edition" plenty folk into bicycles will buy shit just for the exclusivity. I'm not sure why you'd be surprised when 90% of "cyclists" routinely wear shit that looks absolutely ridiculous the second they step off their bike to order their cappuccino.
Yes. You (and I) included. Its an activity where middle aged blokes don tight pants, stupid ugly "special" shoes and an ugly polystyrene hat strapped
on their noggin. Sometimes just to go get an ice cream.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's "limited edition" plenty folk into bicycles will buy shit just for the exclusivity. I'm not sure why you'd be surprised when 90% of "cyclists" routinely wear shit that looks absolutely ridiculous the second they step off their bike to order their cappuccino.
Yes. You (and I) included. Its an activity where middle aged blokes don tight pants, stupid ugly "special" shoes and an ugly polystyrene hat strapped
My only surprise is that jersey was so outside any aesthetic trend found in bike "fashion". So that's why I found it weird. I get that we all often look like clowns and I don't really mind. It's still better than a lot of other sport clothing I've tried over the years. Ffs the Canyoning outfit I had to wear made me look like I wanted to kill The Smurfs.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bro, its IPA not cappuccino. This isn't horse polo.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Holy crap. How you feeling?
It happened back in August. My head was surprisingly good along with my neck. I thought I broke my ribs and separated my shoulder. It took about a month before I could breath normal again.
Lesson learned. Do not use Maxxis 2.5 WT trail tires for berm trails at a DH park :bonk:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
It's kinda weird Yeti hasn't had a DH bike in like a decade when you consider the company's personality, both past and present. Seems like they could afford to make one and all their riders would use it, even if they don't enter WCDHs. People (at least in the Denver area) would buy it.
Still wish I had bought a 303 just cause I thought it was cool.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
It's kinda weird Yeti hasn't had a DH bike in like a decade when you consider the company's personality, both past and present. Seems like they could afford to make one and all their riders would use it, even if they don't enter WCDHs. People (at least in the Denver area) would buy it.
I think it was one of those weird industry trend things. DH bikes became 'not cool' to own for a while and now if you look under the covers they are coming back up a bit. They are a blast, if you can use one they are worth it to own.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I still have every DH bike, I put together or bought since 2010. Though that 2010 Giant, I have serious questions about why:tinfoil:. Here on the east coast, there are so many places to ride a DH bike and it just makes sense to keep them as they are not worth much. Plus there is always a chance Plattekill will open and I want to be ready.:banana:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think it was one of those weird industry trend things. DH bikes became 'not cool' to own for a while
Probably not helped by every DH hill having to jump on the trend of "flow" and jumps. None of which really require a dh bike to be ridden.

If only the same amount of effort was put into new "natural" trails or more to the technical side of things. Heck they don't even have to be gnargnar, just give me a real trail that doesn't develop those knee deep braking bumps like every """"flow"""" trail ends up having.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Probably not helped by every DH hill having to jump on the trend of "flow" and jumps. None of which really require a dh bike to be ridden.

If only the same amount of effort was put into new "natural" trails or more to the technical side of things. Heck they don't even have to be gnargnar, just give me a real trail that doesn't develop those knee deep braking bumps like every """"flow"""" trail ends up having.
:stupid:
build it then
oh the blissful innocence from the land of the Land Reform Act 2003... if only the rest of the planet were so enlightened.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

A lot of it stems from the fact people realize many mellower DH tracks didn't really require a DH bike and most people don't really want to ride the really difficult dh tracks. Those are usually way emptier in most parks. Also people simply ride DH less. I remember around 2010 a National Cup ran out of number plates for racers. We had 400+ people. Now it's 100-150 per race.