Quantcast

New Bike Products

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My product request:
If someone somehow could make a hydraulic brake hose coupler/connection that was truly ‘inline’ (without an olive that is greater in diameter than the hose), that would be excellent.
No idea how it would work, but it sure would alleviate a lot of routing issues, needing to cut the hose a little when swapping brakes, etc.
Surely this could be done.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My product request:
If someone somehow could make a hydraulic brake hose coupler/connection that was truly ‘inline’ (without an olive that is greater in diameter than the hose), that would be excellent.
No idea how it would work, but it sure would alleviate a lot of routing issues, needing to cut the hose a little when swapping bikes, etc.
It is called external routing

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My product request:
No idea how it would work, but it sure would alleviate a lot of routing issues, needing to cut the hose a little when swapping brakes, etc.
Split olives (like Hope use) can be removed from the hose. But that solution generally means running Hope brakes... Yeeeew!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
My product request:
Have you seen the Formula Speed Loc?

Maybe we need to put some s&s or z couplers on your bike too?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What have I started?
I understand that the purple is Ano but I assume that with Hayes being Hayes they will keep with tradition and paint the master so it goes wrinkly after a few bleeds.
If they swapped to mineral fluid I'd probably give them a whirl but I have no time for corrosive Dot fluid, hell, they could have even gone Dot 5 and I'd be fine with that.

Does carbon resin react to Dot 4, 5.1 like paint can? I wonder how many drops hit the inside of frames when people can't be bothered plugging the line?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What have I started?
I understand that the purple is Ano but I assume that with Hayes being Hayes they will keep with tradition and paint the master so it goes wrinkly after a few bleeds.
If they swapped to mineral fluid I'd probably give them a whirl but I have no time for corrosive Dot fluid, hell, they could have even gone Dot 5 and I'd be fine with that.

Does carbon resin react to Dot 4, 5.1 like paint can? I wonder how many drops hit the inside of frames when people can't be bothered plugging the line?
Ive been using DOT brakes for what, 25 years? And thats just on bikes. WTF are you doing with the fluid that is stripping paint? I mean, there’s no guarantee you wont drink magura blood either and the SDS says a possible side effect is death.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What have I started?

Pretty sure the Magura levers are made from a magnesium alloy like fork lowers, which needs to be painted. DOT fluid isn't corrosive, it would fuck up the metals brakes are made from if it was. It doesn't mess up paint if you take 30 seconds to clean up any drips/spills.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pretty sure the Magura levers are made from a magnesium alloy like fork lowers, which needs to be painted. DOT fluid isn't corrosive, it would fuck up the metals brakes are made from if it was. It doesn't mess up paint if you take 30 seconds to clean up any drips/spills.
Haha, I was writing that and my brain went "Corrosive isn't the right word" but it got used, hahaha.
I wonder if it's the hygrosopic nature of the fluid that messes spanners up then? I try to keep some shitty spanners just for brake bleeding purposes at work because they get fucked up so quickly, any bit that has chipped chrome turns horrible and the remaining chrome starts coming off. Maybe it removes the oil coating on the spanner then allows the water to do its work, surfactant magic?

My first car had some Castrol brake fluid spray on to the paint and pretty much as soon as it hit it you could see the primer, it was impressive, and sad. There are a few paints that brake fluid won't ruin, maybe they have used one of them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Haha, I was writing that and my brain went "Corrosive isn't the right word" but it got used, hahaha.
I wonder if it's the hygrosopic nature of the fluid that messes spanners up then? I try to keep some shitty spanners just for brake bleeding purposes at work because they get fucked up so quickly, any bit that has chipped chrome turns horrible and the remaining chrome starts coming off. Maybe it removes the oil coating on the spanner then allows the water to do its work, surfactant magic?

My first car had some Castrol brake fluid spray on to the paint and pretty much as soon as it hit it you could see the primer, it was impressive, and sad. There are a few paints that brake fluid won't ruin, maybe they have used one of them.
Powder coat would be fine

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Hey Monkeys,you seen this “up right stem” review that Seth(HardTail YT Guy) did? I can’t link it,sorry. Anyway,this stem is sick,looks like shit,but I love the breakdown of measurements on the cockpit. Also,your thoughts if say Danny wanted to run it after testing? Could he or any other Pro run it? Or no way due to sponsors.

Avy

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I think you meant the what’s wrong with the industry thread.

if you want to test it for yourself just get a bmx bar and stem.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I think you meant the what’s wrong with the industry thread.

if you want to test it for yourself just get a bmx bar and stem.
Nooo,this is the correct thread. Thanks for sharin,karen.

Avy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Hey Monkeys,you seen this “up right stem” review that Seth(HardTail YT Guy) did? I can’t link it,sorry. Anyway,this stem is sick,looks like shit,but I love the breakdown of measurements on the cockpit. Also,your thoughts if say Danny wanted to run it after testing? Could he or any other Pro run it? Or no way due to sponsors.

Avy

The guy behind the stems has been around for a while, he was at sea otter a few years back with an “ask me about my stem” t shirt.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

The guy behind the stems has been around for a while, he was at sea otter a few years back with an “ask me about my stem” t shirt.
So,what do you guys think,Fuck? Thanks for the Link.

Avy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
No matter what the benefits, a $400 stem is a hard pass for me.
Especially when one could purchase a retro Azonic Hammer stem or Mr. Dirt Wildthing stem and try out the concept…
I can just about get on board with it making a difference downhill (especially if you’re already inclined to sitting on the back wheel and riding the rear end) but it must make climbing feel awful.

Tanglefoot, makers of odd little bikes for slowly riding about and foraging mushrooms on rutted forest paths make some steel and alu zero offset stems - but they’re designed to be used with a bar with drops, so the hand position is still forward of the steering axis. https://tanglefootcycles.com/discord/creemee-aluminum/

second link added for an even more relevant (to this discussion at least) stem from tanglefoot: https://tanglefootcycles.com/discord/creemee-chromo/

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Especially when one could purchase a retro Azonic Hammer stem or Mr. Dirt Wildthing stem and try out the concept…
I can just about get on board with it making a difference downhill (especially if you’re already inclined to sitting on the back wheel and riding the rear end) but it must make climbing feel awful.

Tanglefoot, makers of odd little bikes for slowly riding about and foraging mushrooms on rutted forest paths make some steel and alu zero offset stems - but they’re designed to be used with a bar with drops, so the hand position is still forward of the steering axis. https://tanglefootcycles.com/discord/creemee-aluminum/

second link added for an even more relevant (to this discussion at least) stem from tanglefoot: https://tanglefootcycles.com/discord/creemee-chromo/
Yeah,I was thinking on a DH bike only,as the idea comes from MotorCross. I would Love to try it. I’m going to look up Hammer and Mr.Dirt. Hell,I thought Mr.Dirt was long out of Buisness.

Thanks for those links. It seems like those stems are perfect for converting a HardTail to Cross as shown on the site. Getting the bar saddle height dialed in. How do you tighten the starnut on that Setup?

The other thing that I wondered was why so much money? Is it 1 solid block of Hate? Hence the price?

Avy

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I seem to recall there being lots of discussions about this a while back, as Barel (Fabien) was testing zero-reach stems with Cesar Rojo, back when they were seeing how slack and long they could get bikes. I can't quite remember why they gave up on it, but there was a reason. And that reason was discussed at length here on teh :monkey:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Barel is still a great supporter of zero-lenght stems IIRC. I think they ditched the idea at the Mondraker days because of the impossibility of lowering the bar height.
The bar height needs tobe high. That is what I was wondering. How has he come to the right height of the stem? It looks good and comfortable in the video,just wondering how he came to the height? Some are down hard,others had spacers underneath the stem,making it even taller. The second YT video I saw he was rippen on it,but did not talk about details to much. Basically you want it like a DirtBike. Tall,straight,upright and comfy,ready to rip.

Avy

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I seem to recall there being lots of discussions about this a while back, as Barel (Fabien) was testing zero-reach stems with Cesar Rojo, back when they were seeing how slack and long they could get bikes. I can't quite remember why they gave up on it, but there was a reason. And that reason was discussed at length here on teh :monkey:
Not sure if that was the reason but some mondraker team riders didn't like zero stems.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think of every time I crouch down to just barely miss a tree during a turn…

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not sure if that was the reason but some mondraker team riders didn't like zero stems.
On Making Up the Numbers, the Bulldog was pretty strongly against them. Something about going back to a normal stem being the best thing he did for cornering speed and front wheel feedback.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
On Making Up the Numbers, the Bulldog was pretty strongly against them. Something about going back to a normal stem being the best thing he did for cornering speed and front wheel feedback.
I am not really wondering about the zero stem part,I am wondering about how Tall it is? Are we not seeing the Big Pink Blown up Doll in the room?

Avy

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I am not really wondering about the zero stem part,I am wondering about how Tall it is? Are we not seeing the Big Pink Blown up Doll in the room?

Avy
Oh, couldn't you just get some 100mm rise ape hanger DJ bars instead then? Bit cheaper than $400? Spank does some 75mm rise in both their VibroCore and Spoon range. I'm sure I saw another brand doing 100mm somewhere. I've seen guys with severe back pain issues run some crazy high front ends over the years.

Azonic and Control Tech both did zero or near zero crazy high stems around '98-'01 and neither lived very long. Turns out people don't like bikes that steer like a reversing forklift, but modern slacker geo might make them more viable?

1681438188205.png

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Oh, couldn't you just get some 100mm rise ape hanger DJ bars instead then? Bit cheaper than $400? Spank does some 75mm rise in both their VibroCore and Spoon range. I'm sure I saw another brand doing 100mm somewhere. I've seen guys with severe back pain issues run some crazy high front ends over the years.

Azonic and Control Tech both did zero or near zero crazy high stems around '98-'01 and neither lived very long. Turns out people don't like bikes that steer like a reversing forklift, but modern slacker geo might make them more viable?

View attachment 192417
I think those Bars should never been seen.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It looks good and comfortable in the video,just wondering how he came to the height?
Perhaps he just took a guess while day dreaming about motocross while watching an 8yr old kid ride his scooter? If you have an idea you think might work sometimes you have to just take a punt and TBF stem height isn't actually all that critical as grip height can always be achieved with the use of different rise bars and fine tuned with the use of small headset spacers.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I think those Bars should never been seen.

Avy
I still think a 50mm rise bar and shorter fork looks way better on a hardtail than the modern long fork and 25mm rise bar look which has become the norm. So much so Infact that you'll struggle to find most bars in even a 50mm rise. Nevermind 75 or 100mm.

"Do what you're told. Eat your shit" - Steve Hughes