Quantcast

New Bike Products

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With the big plate, and long cage, a ever so slight tweek of the hanger translate to bad shifting in the upper gears. New groupo takes care of that. Thats why they got rid of all limit screws.
I've put a wheel with a Shimano cassette on a finicky Eagle setup and went from constantly popping and grinding gears to utter smoothness.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've put a wheel with a Shimano cassette on a finicky Eagle setup and went from constantly popping and grinding gears to utter smoothness.
Shimano's ramps and cuts patterns are patented. SRAM did their best to approach them, but they are still a couple steps below. Although I believe some.of the smoothness in Shimano's shifting has to do with the softness of the steel their cassettes and chains are made of. Compared to SRAM they seem to be made of fromage.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Compared to SRAM they seem to be made of fromage.
Are you just comparing 12speed?
I've always found quite the opposite to be true with 10speed or less cassettes.
Microspline is fucking awful though.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Shimano's ramps and cuts patterns are patented. SRAM did their best to approach them, but they are still a couple steps below. Although I believe some.of the smoothness in Shimano's shifting has to do with the softness of the steel their cassettes and chains are made of. Compared to SRAM they seem to be made of fromage.
I'm in full agreement.

Was able to milk 2000 miles on a barely maintained GX cassette on the trailbike while annihilating an SLX on the winter bike (respectfully not using the f bike word) within 500 miles of no sand or dirt.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm in full agreement.

Was able to milk 2000 miles on a barely maintained GX cassette on the trailbike while annihilating an SLX on the winter bike (respectfully not using the f bike word) within 500 miles of no sand or dirt.
Meanwhile over here I opted for the Chinese cassette after blowing through a few GX cassettes in well under that. Maybe something to do with the gritty sandy trails here?

$300+ for a GX level cassette just hits too hard. :dead:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I've always used SRAM chains on shimano cassettes (sachs/sedis before SRAM came along and bought them)
a 10 speed Shimano (Deore/105) cassette with cheap 1030 SRAM chain gets me at least twice the mileage I ever hear quoted from anyone running 11 or 12 speed (SRAM or Shimano).
current Eeb chain and cassette have done over 5000miles now, chain is way off the scale on any wear gauge but still isn't slipping yet. I run them until that day then replace chainring, cassette and chain together. I do actually look after/clean/lube them regularly tho.

Ps. fitted a SRAM 11 speed chain to a brand new hardtail with 12spd deore drivetrain this week and it shifted noticably smoother and ran quieter than the OEM shimano M6100 chain the bike came supplied with.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Meanwhile over here I opted for the Chinese cassette after blowing through a few GX cassettes in well under that. Maybe something to do with the gritty sandy trails here?

11 or 12 speed?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

I'm on my second 11sp Sunrace cassette, shifting precision/speed is acceptable, ready to be retired after its third SRAM chain. 2500 km seems like a good stretch for a mid-tier cassette. The SRAM X01 N/W chainring might have something to do with it. And the fact my crew thinks I'm our smoothest shifting guy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
our smoothest shifting guy.
Definitely a big contributor to what mileage any cassette/chain will manage.

Only a sneaky fucking Lizard would advertise a $400 cassette as "optimised for shifting under load"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
12 speed, the OG Eagle non-transmission transmission.
Sand destroys everything. The soil here is rather easy on drivetrains and I have found 12 speed of any flavor to last a very long time. However I have broken two GX cassettes and refuse to own a bike with one ever again. 2mm rivets just don't cut it. I will begrudgingly run an X01 cassette and just pretend I am grinding my morning coffee every time I shift.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Sand destroys everything. The soil here is rather easy on drivetrains and I have found 12 speed of any flavor to last a very long time. However I have broken two GX cassettes and refuse to own a bike with one ever again. 2mm rivets just don't cut it. I will begrudgingly run an X01 cassette and just pretend I am grinding my morning coffee every time I shift.
Yesterday was an awful day.
We had a big birthday ride and I had to do a track stand while a short narrow part of an uphill was clogging with people and when I started pedaling again my chain slipped. Turned out it wasn't my chain.

Attachments

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We had a big birthday ride and I had to do a track stand while a short narrow part of an uphill was clogging with people and when I started pedaling again my chain slipped. Turned out it wasn't my chain.
What was it? Don't recognize having the red big cog.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
What was it? Don't recognize having the red big cog.
Wolftooth 42t replacement on a XG-1195 cassette. The power dome sheard off at the 11th gear, the steel 2nd to 11th gears are only connected to the freehub via the small noses at the 1st gear. Cassette ist kaputt

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That will make a sweet Weed Wacker blade

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
How much life did you squeeze out of this cassette? @Flo33
A lot actually. The original 42t alu cog let go a few years ago when pulling my Tout Terrain Single Trailer. I replaced it with the back then available Wolftooth GCX 42 replacement cog. The steel gears 2 to 11 were fine back then.

I'm not really sure what happened on Saturday. The inner sleeve has to be able to rotate inside the steel cassette body to screw the cassette on to the freewheel. I'm not sure how the clamping / axial force is transfered from the sleeve to the cogs body. Any ideas anybody?

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008

already sold out
is it me, or the lever looks spongy af while he pulls it...?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
So, the inner sleeve of the x-dome cassettes are there to provide the axial and radial placement or fixture of the cassette on the freehub body, in this case the xd freehub. It snaps into place inside the steel cogs and carries the axial and partially the radial load of the cogs. So it looks like nothing broke, but I'm still puzzling how the hell the cogs piece separated from it and just fell off when I took out the wheel. Will have to have a closer look at it.

Edit: found pic where the snap mechanism is visible. I the end the result is the same, cassette kaputt. I guess the flanges holding the whole shit together are toast.

SRAM_XX1_SF_MG_2009.jpeg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So, the inner sleeve of the x-dome cassettes are there to provide the axial and radial placement or fixture of the cassette on the freehub body, in this case the xd freehub. It snaps into place inside the steel cogs and carries the axial and partially the radial load of the cogs. So it looks like nothing broke, but I'm still puzzling how the hell the cogs piece separated from it and just fell off when I took out the wheel. Will have to have a closer look at it.

Edit: found pic where the snap mechanism is visible. I the end the result is the same, cassette kaputt. I guess the flanges holding the whole shit together are toast.

View attachment 191571
Is the WT cog larger?, then it would flex more from the chain torque. I used one till my cassette was totally dead (in other gears) and I still have it, waiting until one of my 11th alu gears starts slipping and I'll put it back on. Otherwise, I'm just thinking flex in general maybe?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Is the WT cog larger?, then it would flex more from the chain torque. I used one till my cassette was totally dead (in other gears) and I still have it, waiting until one of my 11th alu gears starts slipping and I'll put it back on. Otherwise, I'm just thinking flex in general maybe?
No, it's a 42t one. I'm not sure what happened there. Axial load is taken care of by the sleeve with the profiled tooth like parts, it should not be able to separate itself from the 42t cog. The 42 cog is also held in place by the screwed on sleeve, no way to move.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
yeah, it looks like he is not trying to pull it hard at all, but once he does, it almost bottoms out...
Hydraulic leverage is a beast. As long as the biting point is distinct and easy to feel I think it's not that big of a problem.

His "hand tight" looks to be a bit more in the uggadugga area to me than, say like 1-2 Nm.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
No, it's a 42t one. I'm not sure what happened there. Axial load is taken care of by the sleeve with the profiled tooth like parts, it should not be able to separate itself from the 42t cog. The 42 cog is also held in place by the screwed on sleeve, no way to move.
Cassette was fully tightened so unscrewed.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
those are certified dank. Don't need brakes, but if I did....
I'm in need of a set for my Fartbike. But local pricing is ridiculous. Considering how much I paid for my current set at CRC, can't justify paying double.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I love it when companies have a little bit of fun with what they do. Wolftooth seems to enjoy getting weird with colors, I'm glad to see Hayes doing it as well. Nice that they seem to be good brakes too!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Another aftermarket shock only available with medium tunes!!?