Quantcast

New Saint. Finally.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's simply down to Shimano's in built minimum 4 year upgrade route. GRX has always been a step behind DuraAce/Ulegra AND two behind XT/XTR
The best thing about Di2 has always been the front mech's function and it's integration.
Running Di2 single ring is just expense and faff for no real benefit over mechanical IMO

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
No, I'm saying mechanical XT and XTR are walking the Saint walk.
OK, so if I got this right :

'25 XTR/XT/LX/ESSA : electronic 13 speed
'25 XTR/XT : mechanical 12 speed unchanged, except new crankset shape and 160mm arms for XT
'25 SAINT : unchanged since 2012
'25 SLX : gone
'25 Deore : no changes for next year

Does that sound right?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
OK, so if I got this right :

'25 XTR/XT/LX/ESSA : electronic 13 speed
'25 XTR/XT : mechanical 12 speed unchanged, except new crankset shape and 160mm arms for XT
'25 SAINT : unchanged since 2012
'25 SLX : gone
'25 Deore : no changes for next year

Does that sound right?
Nope.
XTR/XT will be 13-speed, wireless. They will both have XC (lighter RD, 10-45 cassettes, 2-pot calipers, twin-tube brake levers) and enduro (longer cage RD, 10-52 cassettes, four-pot calipers, three-tube brake levers) versions.
LX will be 13-speed wireless, and 12-speed mechanical.
Saint will disappear
SLX will be gone.
Deore is also kaputt (replaced by CUES).
ESSA is an 8-speed groupset, aimed at city bikes. It will have wired, wireless and autonomous (i.e. shifterless) versions.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I do not want 13 speed MTB gearing (or on anything else). I'd probably be okay with 11 speed still with sufficient gear range.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Me neither. Give me a 10 speed 11-51 and I'll be happy forever. I have 9 speed Microshift 12-48 (edit : 11-46) on my commuter bike and the tooth distribution between gears is better than the 8 spd Acolyte I had before. 10 speed would be perfect, but now I have switched to 12 spd everything except the commuter.

At 12spd I thought they were a bit pushing it, but 13 is just plain stupid IMO.

Last edited:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I would, but Cues/Linkglide does not use the Microspline interface which I now have on all my hubs since I thought this would be the direction Shimano would use from last year on. Thanks Shimano.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
. I have 9 speed Microshift 12-48 on my commuter bike and the tooth distribution between gears is better
Do you have a super hilly commute? Or carry a lot? ? What chainring and wheelsize do you find those jumps and range good for when commuting? Personally I'd be expecting to wear out the 11 & 13t sprockets way ahead of the rest of the cassette and barely ever go anywhere near the dinnerplateasaurus 51t.
Everyone's commute is different granted.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Do you have a super hilly commute? Or carry a lot? ? What chainring and wheelsize do you find those jumps and range good for when commuting? Personally I'd be expecting to wear out the 11 & 13t sprockets way ahead of the rest of the cassette and barely ever go anywhere near the dinnerplateasaurus 51t.
Everyone's commute is different granted.
It' basically a flat 4km part and then an 80m elevation gain in 1km and I carry a 20lbs backpack on my double Magic Mary 26" hardtail.

I only did it twice so far (used to walk it), but with my 32t oval ring, I'm using the 37t and 46t cog to go up, but the rest is mainly on the 13t and 15t I'd guess.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I would, but Cues/Linkglide does not use the Microspline interface which I now have on all my hubs since I thought this would be the direction Shimano would use from last year on. Thanks Shimano.
Just stockpile shit now. By the time you run out we will all be about those Pinion electric gearboxes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah I thought that I could use a gravel 12sp cassette on a Microspline hub, but no, coz Shimano.
10-45t 12 speed Microspline cassette was what I ended up with. Will be interesting to see how the Microspline freehub holds up compared to a Titanium HG.