Quantcast

Oregon ride suggestions?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife and I are planning an Oregon trip in mid-July and I'm looking for ride suggestions. It's 10 years since I rode out there.

Optimistically hoping for a cessation of COVID and wildfire hostilities.

Big ride planned first for Bend trails.
Then thinking MRT if open and O'Leary
Then heading down to Oakridge, probably hitting something with Alpine but open to suggestions.

Prefer loop rides as we'd rather avoid being crammed in with a bunch of people on a commercial shuttle.

Anything else in central Oregon worth aiming for before heading back east towards Boise on the way back to CO?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Up in the NE corner Mt. Emily Recreation Area in La Grande is worth the stop if you are driving through on 84. Baker City has the Elkhorn also. Theres a trail system in Echo (near Hermiston) just off 84 that's got dozens of miles but they're pretty mellow. Its great for camping in the parking lot though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Up in the NE corner Mt. Emily Recreation Area in La Grande is worth the stop if you are driving through on 84. Baker City has the Elkhorn also. Theres a trail system in Echo (near Hermiston) just off 84 that's got dozens of miles but they're pretty mellow. Its great for camping in the parking lot though.
They all look a little further north than I was planning on heading. Coming from just west of Denver I'll likely scoot along the I-70 route towards SLC area before heading across past Boise heading to Bend.

Phils has exploded since you have been here last

Bachelor now has lift trails

If thats not enough there are some more secluded rides like smith rock/grey butte or even tumalo
Oooo, if we bring the GG's then some laps at Bachelor could definitely be on the cards.

The only trail I remember from racing out there last time was Tiddlywink's, that was fun after ~90 miles. Looks like last years course didn't hit too much near that Phil's trail.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Fully support Oakridge. There are tons of good trails out there in addition to Alpine. That said, if you want to hit all the good stuff you pretty much need shuttles to get the best experience. Many (most?) of the trails are point-to-point, so you want a ride to the top and a pickup at the bottom. A private shuttle is really the way to go if you can swing it.

We had a fun time in Hood River last summer. We only scratched the surface so can't help with much detail.

Ashland is also pretty rad but sounds like it may be out of your way.

gonefirefightin

free wieners

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We have stayed at Salmon Creek Campground several times. There are some pretty sweet sites along the water, but pretty sure it's first come, first served, so best to arrive mid-week if you can.

Looks like the Trans Cascadia team has camping available to reserve: https://www.transcascadiaexcursions.com/camping You may be able to work out some kind of package deal with shuttles, etc. Not much personal experience other than an afternoon with a few beers at their cafe, but they seem like a solid bunch of folks doing it right up there.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We have stayed at Salmon Creek Campground several times. There are some pretty sweet sites along the water, but pretty sure it's first come, first served, so best to arrive mid-week if you can.

Looks like the Trans Cascadia team has camping available to reserve: https://www.transcascadiaexcursions.com/camping You may be able to work out some kind of package deal with shuttles, etc. Not much personal experience other than an afternoon with a few beers at their cafe, but they seem like a solid bunch of folks doing it right up there.
Decided to snag a river side reservation in the other direction at Black Canyon. The Salmon Creek area is currently labeled as closed from the Kwis Fire, so if the area got fried who knows when it might be open or even nice to be in again.

That transcascadia spot couldn't be any better for finishing an Alpine run.

Last edited: