Quantcast

Rampage 2021

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am wondering if we will see rampage happen next year...I have no facts to back it up but something just seems off about this year's event. I am sure we are in for quite a few interesting perspectives from riders on podcasts etc in the coming weeks/months.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Didn't Zink say he's retiring? From Rampage at least...

Anyway, as many before me I'll say the event is migrating towards a slopestyle competition on steroids.
I didn't hear that but I haven't been close to all the happenings of the week. Was on an 8 day new england bike park trip. I did get to catch the last 4 runs of the event at the highland mountain pub which was fantastic!

Anyway I agree w/ you on the slopestyle side of things but I am not sure that is a terrible thing. I think we are nearing the max drop/magnitude of the event. Actual slopestyle is boring as hell these days. If the two combined into a big mountain slope stylish hybrid I think that might be good for everyone. A series of 4-5 events in unique locations that require a dh/zeb equipped bike with multiple lines would be really cool.

The pre-event injury rate was insane this year, don't see how it can continue at this rate...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I am wondering if we will see rampage happen next year...I have no facts to back it up but something just seems off about this year's event. I am sure we are in for quite a few interesting perspectives from riders on podcasts etc in the coming weeks/months.
might be time for a break like they did years ago.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What we're seeing as slopestyle is actually the evolution of making the event safer by giving guys real dig time.

Remember it used to be like 4 days?

Those bigass landings and runouts are that way because they're safe. What someone decides to do with them is on them obviously

scrap the whole fucking format and just do a fest style jam session for video

would end up being better outcomes all around

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What we're seeing as slopestyle is actually the evolution of making the event safer by giving guys real dig time.

Remember it used to be like 4 days?

Those bigass landings and runouts are that way because they're safe. What someone decides to do with them is on them obviously

scrap the whole fucking format and just do a fest style jam session for video

would end up being better outcomes all around
yea dude, in that regards the fest guys i think are onto something. make it a jam format. give em a full day. hell give them 2 or 3 days to get their runs dialed - and i mean that just beyond the practice days.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wan't even thinking runs, more like just pick stuff off, do the coolest thing you can and make video

the necessity of a top to bottom run is probably the gnarliest part of rampage. It's hard to keep your shit together and brake check slowly and correctly when you're shitting your pants over what you just did, and what you know you're about to try. That's most of the danger IMO. A jam format would make continuous runs optional. People would still do them because it's burly but it's not the only option. I mean video is half the goal already, so making it the primary goal isn't a stretch. Just do a rider voted 'best rider of the week' kind of deal so you still got something to shoot for.

And we would end up with better tricks, better riding, and likely less broken people

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I wan't even thinking runs, more like just pick stuff off, do the coolest thing you can and make video

the necessity of a top to bottom run is probably the gnarliest part of rampage. It's hard to keep your shit together and brake check slowly and correctly when you're shitting your pants over what you just did, and what you know you're about to try. That's most of the danger IMO. A jam format would make continuous runs optional. People would still do them because it's burly but it's not the only option. I mean video is half the goal already, so making it the primary goal isn't a stretch. Just do a rider voted 'best rider of the week' kind of deal so you still got something to shoot for.

And we would end up with better tricks, better riding, and likely less broken people
You mean like what Audi Nines is already doing, just in the Utah desert?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

Don't know the guy but I expect TVS would agree. I know I would have preferred seeing him ghost ride his bike and celebrate after that bonkers front flip. Instead there was no option but to keep going if he wanted a high score, and we all saw what happened. I also seem to remember years in which Zink did the craziest shit but got a relatively low scores for his entire runs. A jam format with awards for best trick, gnarliest line, etc., seems like a great idea to me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe its just getting old, seeing people ride off the same terrain year after year, its all just becoming the same. Even if they do change up the sites, the terrain from TV perspective is still the same..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Isn'y the whole point of Rampage just doing shit that should kill you? Those guys are doing the exact same tricks on 10' jumps that they are doing on 40' drops. Same thing, just fucking up on one has the added excitement of a high possibility of death. Same appeal as watching Evil Kneivel smash every bone in his body.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Crazy seeing the angle on that fork hey. Next time I plan a 40' backflip im gonna insist on running a dual crown or I'm not doing it.