Quantcast

Single-Crown Showdown!

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I'm torn between a few forks for my hardtail, which sees dirt jump, street, and trail/FR action.
(all 04 models)

TALAS R
Z1 Fr (regular QR)
Sherman Flick
Vanilla R

Some say that the fox and sherman intenrnals may not be the most sturdy, however I also see the weight/size of the Z1 to be a little large for my needs. How big can one go on a talas? Should I worry about the travel adjust on the flick breaking?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've got the firefly and I like it a lot. I was going to get rid of it to get a fork with less travel but I think I'm just going to modify the travel of it myself to take it down to 100mm. It's been a great fork so far, butter smooth and stout as well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
TALAS rulez brah!!!!

seriously, I love mine, best SC fork ever...I use it for exactly what you described above...light, plush, stiff, did I mention light?

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
punkassean said:
TALAS rulez brah!!!!

seriously, I love mine, best SC fork ever...I use it for exactly what you described above...light, plush, stiff, did I mention light?
Interesting, have you had to service it thus far? Also if you don't mind, around how much do you weigh?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm with Mr. Tiles. My Firefly is awesome - absurdly stiff, fairly lightweight, smooth stroke... Great fork.

FWIW, I ride it in 100mm mode all the time and have not had the travel adjuster break. It stopped catching once but it was a 5 second fix with a small allen wrench without even taking the fork apart.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
The firefly may be great, but It's too expensive, and it's much better than a flick, (lighter, stiffer, better guts) so it doesn't make sense to report on how a firefly performs.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have not needed to service it in almost a year. I weigh a hair under 150lb FWIW. A lot of guys around here run this fork for DJ/freeride, it seems to be the SC fork of choice these days.