Quantcast

Single or dual Chainrings?

Rocket

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
Hi,

Well here goes my first post....

I've got a trip planned to Canada in July to ride all the North Shore stuff, so all the drops and skinnies - just cant wait to see those ladders!! plus a bit of downhilling at whistler and so on.

Do you need dual chainrings for riding out there (say 32/22t) or can you get away with a single say 36t or larger. At the mo I rarely use my 22t and I was thinking of ditching it but I've heard that you may need one out there.

What do you guys use, any recommendations dudes?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't have a recommendation, but I'm curious why you would ditch the small ring. The big ring I can understand, but the small ring? Are you thinking about running a chain guide type setup or something? I'm just not sure what the advantage is to dropping your small ring.

Rocket

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting an e-13 chain device with the bash guard; either the single ring security chain device runnning with 36t (which is good enough for most riding that I do here in UK) or do I keep the granny and get the dual ring system running say 36t and 24t.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A two ring with a 22-36 ring setup should do the trick.

The shore involves some climbing to get things done from what I hear.

The E-13 drs guides are extremely nice, check em out.

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Rocket said:
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting an e-13 chain device with the bash guard; either the single ring security chain device runnning with 36t (which is good enough for most riding that I do here in UK) or do I keep the granny and get the dual ring system running say 36t and 24t.

I think that the Evil with the dual ring system would be the best bet. I got a single ring MRP chainguide that i like alot, but i wish that i still had the small ring alot. it'd be nice to have the extra option to shift down to.

Rocket

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
Cheers for the advice everyone, I've decided to go for the Dual system running 36t and 24t. Just can't wait to get it fitted....