• No

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Maybe, It depends on the reviews it get

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
I am not here to spread rumors or anything. I just got out of a meeting with the staff that are looking into putting a downhill course into Ski Roundtop. I told them that I would hop onto the forums and ask around to see what the interest is. I am just curious to see what people think of it being put in and what type of trail systems they would like to see. Their main concern is the feasibility of it and if there will be enough people to not make it a money pit. There is enough land and there is considerations for xc areas, all mountain areas, and a gravity lift dh/freeride area.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm kind of surprised to see this, glad but surprised. I thought Liberty, Round Top and Whitetail were all owned by the same group. Whitetail was decidedly against it (or couldn't care less about it) when approached a few years ago.

As for trails, I think the model that 7 springs is working is a good one. Start with a beginner intermediate dh run (or 2) and build a user base, then diversify from there.

You should poll in the freeride forum on MORE lots of DC / Baltimore riders congragate there. That would be a good source of input. Already a thread started there linking to this one...

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14744

chidogringo

Chimp
Nov 27, 2007
Build it and they will come. This area is really lacking a lift serviced biking opportunity. I'm a hardcore freerider and downhiller. I would love to see a park built at ski roundtop. Our area is full of people who could easily be persuaded into mountain biking. Currently there isn't anything nearby that attracts people to get into the sport. But if a trail system was put in, as well as obstacles, stunts, and jumps, you would see a ton of teens on the mountain. Teens would trade in there bmx bikes for a beasty downhiller and hit the trails every day after school. With some really killer trails and some great marketing you could make it huge. Just take a look at snowshoe, WV and Diablo bike park in NJ. Keep us updated, and if you want to talk, call me or email me, 717-887-2955, kevinnathenbowie@gmail.com

aden27

Chimp
Aug 21, 2007
I have lived all over the US, and world at that, and have seen over and over that wherever there is a sweet trail system, there are riders all over it. Even if there weren't riders here, which there are, people would take up the sport left and right. Look at Snowshoe - it is way out in the hills and people still go there. Build it!!! And don't build weeny stuff. XC is everywhere around here. (no offense, I love XC, too). What we need is a real DH course, freeride features, jump park, etc. Otherwise, it won't stand out enough to attract new riders. Besides, if you get kids into hobbies like biking, it takes them off the streets and away from the televisions and gives them fresh air, goals, discipline. Who can argue with that?

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
What do you mean cut into? bikes and beer go hand in hand! besides, I know all the back roads to my house.
I know you'll find a way home but will you make it there? Look forward to hearing from you soon! FYI We are now a Chumba Dealer and have stellar deals on frames and complete bikes - please pass it along. Hope to hear from you soon!

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Racer's Edge, Inc. gives the plan a 100% thumbs up!
Although, we would caution trying to host an event before late season due to the, already packed 2009 schedule.
Our suggestion would be to spend the season developing trails, features and selling passes. Maybe consider a possible event (very) late in the season once rider turn-out has been established and be sure to check the calander. Just my 2 cents.
We (Racer's Edge, Inc.) would love to be involved with the delelopment of this project. To date, we have helped develop the trails and events at Snowshoe, Blue Knob, Bear Creek, Whitetail, Wisp, FCCI, and HFWS. Our office is only 40 minutes away from Roudtop and we have more than ten years experience in promoting gravity races (over 50 events) and building trails.
Reguardless of who takes charge, we hope to see this happen - the area needs it!
For more immediate response to this thread, please email Mike at TheRacersEdge@comcast.net

bikenbrew

Chimp
May 31, 2008
I would definitely go, I live in Lancaster and have to drive around 3 hrs to Diablo,Wisp or 7 Springs. This would be awesome.

04sgsdh

Monkey
Sep 8, 2007
Hagerstown
I'd rather see w/t open again. I hear the trails are still rideable and it's only ~20 min from home base. Roundtop would make another fun, pretty close destination though. I posted on the NE confusing rt with liberty. Round top is a bit further than I thought.
If anyone is up for a hike this summer, i'm going to hit up the old trails at wt .

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
I like the idea a lot. I live in the Baltimore area and I find it frustrating to choose between a 4 hour drive to one of the existing resorts, or a 1 hour drive to the Shed, plus setting up shuttles and whatnot.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
This is great. Some ideas to rapidly get a credible trail system up and running that can help pull in the numbers needed to make the project financially viable.

• Diverse mix of trails – trail quality is the most important criterion for any bike park. DH, FR, AM, jumps, natural, built, rocky, smooth, steep, shallow, fast, slow, both left turns and right turns.
• Very large number of trails.
• Diverse mix of events – A few strategic races and competitions can bring people out. Maybe unique events that aren’t typically done around here could be good, such as a 6-hour DH enduro, photo comp, or…...
• Hold a trail building competition to kick start bike park development and awareness. You would very rapidly have an initial network built with very strong buy-in. Have a kind of Iron Chef competition format for trail building and jump/stunt building teams. Free entry, 2 month work period, followed by an open day of (free) riding and judging by riders. The comp would have to be well planned in the context of a master plan so that trails are built a rational and sustainable way and do not violate environmental regulations. And many other rules of the game would have to be very well though out. Someone like Rich from IMBA could oversee the technical dimensions to make sure teams don’t build stupid things and this could also raise the profile of the park through their outreach program. A resort in BC had such a competition a couple years ago that was focused on stunts, but could have been extended to trails.

ktm8806

Chimp
Jun 24, 2009
I live in Lancaster and work less the 5 miles from Roundtop, I would be there all the time if it was built. Def. would need some good jumps and wooden features to lure me in though.

finsout

Chimp
Jul 18, 2013
There is a new effort to get DH at Roundtop. With the dh trail at rocky ridge closed there is definitely local interest and trailbuilding ability. A small proof of concept hike trail is being initially proposed instead of a full blown effort. Check out the fb page Bring Downhill Biking to Roundtop