Quantcast

Snowblower 2024….someone had to do it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I need a new new snowblower, they all seem to be shit these days. I live south of Buffalo in the snow belt with a steep concrete driveway 2 cars wide and about 50 feet long with a side pad as well. 28” is as wide as I can fit in the garage with the automobiles.
Honda was #1 on the list but I’m reading that they clog frequently with heavy wet snow.
I’m replacing a 24” Bolans that is probably 40 years old.
no electric bull shit for me, we can get 7 feet of snow in 1-2 days.
let the 2024 games begin:popcorn:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
You either go Arien or Toro for reasonable amount of money, or Honda and Yamaha (you'll have to go to Canaderp to get it) for insane amount of money.

Have you looked for 10 year old snowblower? Prices sometimes are near new ones (I know what I have)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Honda was #1 on the list but I’m reading that they clog frequently with heavy wet snow.
I live in the land of tens of feet heavy wet snow. They all clog because that's what cold metal and wet snow do. but honda's run the most consistently through it.

turtle wax keeps mine from clogging

living in the low snow environment you do, most any two stage in good shape would work

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Snowblowers seem like an inefficient single use item
Does anyone make a multi use blowing tool?
troy-bilt made a "flex" mower that could be swapped for a snowblower and some other shit, if you wanted it. I'm guessing it wasn't that great as I don't see many around.

I have a troy bilt Storm, it's kind of a piece of shit, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Troy-Bilt-Storm-26-in-208-cc-Two-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Electric-Start-Self-Propelled-Storm-2600/316895903 but it works and it doesn't snow here often. I am quite jealous of my neighbor's Ariens that chucks snow twice as far. Again, light work and the Troy is fine for it (I think I paid like $550 brand new).

I would also suggest grabbing one with treads if you have a steep driveway. When I had a driveway like that, I had a craftsman 28" with treads that made going up and down pretty easy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Honestly if you want something that works great for a long time, get an ariens or a honda

if you want something you can consistently get parts for and want it to still be running in 20 years get a honda. That's really the biggest difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for the above job yes

Now my Cousin in Maine has a large property and has a Kubota with a backhoe with a bucket, his driveway is 1/4 mile long so he has a snow blower attachment that swaps out for the bucket. for him it makes sense.
lots of those up that way. what part of Maine is your cousin?

I've got a buddy in vermont with a driveway about 3/4 mile long (and is sloped almost the entire way). when you're dealing with what is essentially a private road, a walk behind snowblower simply isn't an option.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
we had shovels as a kid.

bougie fucking snowblowing aristocrats up in this bitch...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Honestly if you want something that works great for a long time, get an ariens or a honda

if you want something you can consistently get parts for and want it to still be running in 20 years get a honda. That's really the biggest difference.
I'm really leaning towards Honda from your recommendation. Tires or tracks? I like the track idea for the steep driveway but I hear they are a bitch because you can't pull at backwards without shifting to reverse.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm really leaning towards Honda from your recommendation. Tires or tracks? I like the track idea for the steep driveway but I hear they are a bitch because you can't pull at backwards without shifting to reverse.
Tires move around cars and corners easier. But the newer tracked ones have a clutch lever release on each side so they turn almost as well now.

I use tracks because I do have a steep driveway.

shifting into reverse is not some monumental endeavor. They're kind of made to do that. I would let the pitch of your driveway determine tracks/wheels, not reverse convenience. Don't spend a couple of grand on something that doesn't go uphill on a slick driveway just because of reverse

a 928 or 828 should pretty much handle anything

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
we had shovels as a kid.

bougie fucking snowblowing aristocrats up in this bitch...
come on out and shovel my shit this winter.

I'll bring you water every two hours and tell you how core you are.

I lived here 15 years before I bought a 260 dollar snowblower. And because of that, my back now needs a snowblower

Fuck snow. I grew up wearing shorts year round in Santa Monica
yeah you don't really seem cut out for it

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
come on out and shovel my shit this winter.

I'll bring you water every two hours and tell you how core you are.

I lived here 15 years before I bought a 260 dollar snowblower. And because of that, my back now needs a snowblower
your sarcasm meter is broke....

core....is that bro speak.