Quantcast

So I just quit my job.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Yep. No foolin'

I just gave my notice. All the cloak and dagger can stop.

After years of people telling me to do it, I'm finally moving back home!!

I have a business opportunity that I can't pass up. I actually own a small percentage of the company. (I bought into it about 7 years ago). They've been on my case to go back and work there for years now. So the wife and I have decided that the time is right....so we're taking the plunge.

I'm terrified. It's weird that I'm more nervous about moving home than I was to move out here in the first place.

The money isn't great, but since I'm part owner I'll be able to have some perks. Like my FREE CAR, and all car-related expenses.

SO anyway, the moving truck leaves here on July 20th. We'll stick around another week or so after that.

It's really gonna hurt leaving Whistler. I think I'll get one day in of Garbonzo. It's my father's day present: Permission to do a day trip a week before a moving truck is picking up our stuff!

And the other thing that sorta sucks is that I'm leaving aerospace. I've been at it for 8 years now. It's such a HUGE industry that only now am I begining to feel competant! And now I'm chucking it all.

I feel nauseous.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
huh. what kind of engineering are you going to do if not aerospace?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Ever seen trucks driving on train tracks? We build those, along with hydraulic lift gates, and installing cranes on trucks and service bodies and all that.

Same stuff I did right out of school before I started at Pratt and Whitney.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
The fact that the company is doing well after 7 years of business should be somewhat comforting at least...and you'll be back in Montreal!

Don't worry, soon as you get on the plane the nausea fill fade, and excitement will take over...or maybe motion sickness, then excitement...but hey, that's what the baggies are for. :D

Good luck!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Hey, congrats dude! Sounds like a carbon-copy of what my wife and I are doing now. Eight years in Kansas City and moving home to Tucson come August. Heckova better job (going freelance with a contract... THATS scary!) both our families, and some kick-ass mountain biking!

Good luck with the move...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
MMike said:
You're the reason I'm leaving...
Once you leave you'll be nationless bastard - too arrogant / culturally elite to be one of the guys in the US and too used to being fat and well fed to be a Canadian. No one will trust you, everyone will think you are a spy or a failure whos come home to mama. Maybe you should give California a try... can you tap dance?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Don't worry Mike, the nasea fades. I was sad to leave aerospace too, but after 6 months of not worrying about being laid-off, this boring stuff that doesn't fly is growing on me. Have fun and keep on riding.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I hear ya.

Everytime I return to NM for a visit I can't believe I live in f*cking Lousy-ana...

Now I just have to save up the $1.2M for a nice abobe hacienda on the outskirts of Taos....

:D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8, i was just thinking of moving to Taos myself. Turns out its a hippie breeding ground. **** that place.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlySurly said:
N8, i was just thinking of moving to Taos myself. Turns out its a hippie breeding ground. **** that place.

You do know that you can whack as many hippies you want per year there... there's no limit on 'em.
:devil:

Aside from that, the AngleFire ski & DH area is 45 min away through the mountains, the Rio Grande Gorge has Class I-VI white water and is 30 min away, and there is the South Boundry Trail for all your XC needs 20 min away...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
Aside from that, the AngleFire ski & DH area is 45 min away through the mountains, the Rio Grande Gorge has Class I-VI white water and is 30 min away, and there is the South Boundry Trail for all your XC needs 20 min away...
It actually does sound pretty great down there. If I could find some more government work in the area, Id be all over it...

Bet you got the scoop dont ya? Spill it man!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
get to the private sector; down w/ big gubment.
Narlus, believe me, if the money was there and the job security was the same...Id be all over it, but you know, I already know what I know, ya know?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MMike said:
....are Jeep Libertys AS gay when they are free?
yes.

that you'll be working on those funny train trucks is awesome. i've always thought they were cool. at least cooler than the train-pickup trucks, with their odd reduced track widths and skinny tires and all :p

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Good luck to you and your family in your ventures back home.

oh i'm sorry.... 'ahem' i mean, get stuffed you overbearing whiny priss!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Toshi said:
yes.

that you'll be working on those funny train trucks is awesome. i've always thought they were cool. at least cooler than the train-pickup trucks, with their odd reduced track widths and skinny tires and all :p

Oh we'll do those too. Those are pretty high volume. The highest actually. These are ok too: