Quantcast

So would this fly in the States?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If "Hitler" (with Adolf presumably before it) is banned, there's no reason why "Osama bin Laden" should be off limits. :rolleyes:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I would like to think that no citizen of the United States would have so little respect for our nation and our ideals. I would also like to think that no parent anywhere in the world would subject their child to the horrible repercussions of such a notorious name. I am not a Muslim so the dude is not a hero in my eyes but… things are viewed quite differently by other peoples of other cultures.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

As a resident of Post-Nazi Germany, CNN leaves off a bit of marginalia that is key to the story.

The idea behind this concept is twofold - it keeps people from naming their kid something that the child is going to suffer for later on in life, i.e. all the kids who are named something like Butterfly Sunshine or names usually associated with the opposing gender (boy named Sue...) Germany has the highest number of immigrants in all of Europe combined - when a child of a immigrant turns 18, they have the right to choose what country they want to be a citizen of. This child might want to go back to Turkey some day and would come under great scrutiny and scorn from his fellow Turks.

Sometimes, I wonder what people are thinking when they name their children - these aren't pets we're talking about. Who could possibly name their kid Zenith? I know someone who did. I feel sorry for the kid.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by Ranger

Sometimes, I wonder what people are thinking when they name their children - these aren't pets we're talking about. Who could possibly name their kid Zenith? I know someone who did. I feel sorry for the kid.
tell me about it.....my sister-in-law is a school teacher in a "inner city" elementary school and she encountered an awful name for a child. first day of school during roll call, " billy? here!; johnny? here!; mary? here!; ****h......, sh..... uh.....mr. johnson? my name's sh1thead (pronounced shi 'theed) mam!" how friggin horrible for that kid! turns out his mom has been in and out of rehab several times.

so should parents have restrictions on naming a child? i think the name should be sent to a "name editor" so that the kids don't get some messed up spelling like....geoffery instead of jeffrey. hooked on phonics only works for normaly spelled words!