Quantcast

Sometimes I wish I had $629 lying around...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
i've wrecked two derailleurs in the past month. i'd love to have one of those.
although here's a thought: it would be put on a full suspension bike (azonic saber), so i'd have to run one of those fake derailleur chain tensioners, meaning i'd still have a dangly bit off my rear end. yeah it's shorter and doesn't move, but it's still susceptible to getting broken.
anyone have an experience like this? i know the yeti freeriders are running them, so maybe it's not all that bad.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah since I saw Naesteps on his hollowpoint I've always thought how cool it would be

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
InsaneP2Rider said:
i really want to ride one of those and see how they feel...but i've never even seen one in person
Yeah me too. It's hard to invest the money on one without even feeling it. They need to go to more biking events and let people ride it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
squarewheels said:
i've wrecked two derailleurs in the past month. i'd love to have one of those.
although here's a thought: it would be put on a full suspension bike (azonic saber), so i'd have to run one of those fake derailleur chain tensioners, meaning i'd still have a dangly bit off my rear end. yeah it's shorter and doesn't move, but it's still susceptible to getting broken.
anyone have an experience like this? i know the yeti freeriders are running them, so maybe it's not all that bad.
The tensioner is a lot sturdier than a derailleur, and I'm sure its cheaper to replace as well.

Would like to try a Speedhub myself. I hear mixed reviews about the amount of drag/power loss you feel - some say its hardly noticable, some say they can't stand it.

I'm excited to see Honda getting involved with mountain biking. With their R&D budget, it can only be a good thing. It'd be nice if Shimano tried their hand at building a burly gearbox. I don't hold out a lot of hope for the next Nexus hub - it sounds like they poked at it, threw in a couple new pieces, and called it a day. Who knows, though...

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
my road cruiser has an internal hub, they da bomb. I can't wait for the days of no derailleur front or back. That will be sweet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
Yeah me too. It's hard to invest the money on one without even feeling it. They need to go to more biking events and let people ride it.
Rohloff isn't based in the US, which is why you don't see them at events...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
I understand that...
It seems like it's a product that many people see as useable but not many people are able to try them so they don't purchase them.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Flakey Jake said:
my road cruiser has an internal hub, they da bomb. I can't wait for the days of no derailleur front or back. That will be sweet.

I saw an informercial for one of thoes bikes.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
stosh said:
Man I need a wifey!!!

How's he like it?
They broke the mold when they made me :devil:

He loves it for DH/Freeride. It always shifts the same, regardless of the conditions (muddy or not). You don't have to worry about shifting down and planning ahead. If you get stuck at the bottom of a hill in top gear, you can shift down on the spot and go!

It's a little heavy for XC, but fits like a glove on his Bullit. It solves any chainline issues that he had on the Buillt before instillation. Basically it's a fixed chainline so your suspension remains consistent while you're pedaling (rather than the movement of your swingarm when shifting the front rings).

Check it out...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
They broke the mold when they made me :devil:

He loves it for DH/Freeride. It always shifts the same, regardless of the conditions (muddy or not). You don't have to worry about shifting down and planning ahead. If you get stuck at the bottom of a hill in top gear, you can shift down on the spot and go!

It's a little heavy for XC, but fits like a glove on his Bullit. It solves any chainline issues that he had on the Buillt before instillation. Basically it's a fixed chainline so your suspension remains consistent while you're pedaling (rather than the movement of your swingarm when shifting the front rings).

Check it out...
I think the weight difference between having a cassette, and deraillure and the speedhub is a couple pounds. I saw it somewhere I'll have to find it again.

He gonna have that with him this weekend?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
stosh said:
I think the weight difference between having a cassette, and deraillure and the speedhub is a few pounds. I saw it somewhere I'll have to find it again.

Of course! That's his Freeride/DH rig. I don't even know if he's going to bring the Yeti. And yeah, I think it's a couple pounds heavier than the deraillure, cassette, et al.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
I think the weight difference between having a cassette, and deraillure and the speedhub is a few pounds. I saw it somewhere I'll have to find it again.

A few pounds?? They must have done a speedhub out of solid steel then :p

I crunched the numbers a couple years ago. It's about a pound to a pound and a half heavier than an XT setup if I remember correctly.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
A few pounds?? They must have done a speedhub out of solid steel then :p

I crunched the numbers a couple years ago. It's about a pound to a pound and a half heavier than an XT setup if I remember correctly.
a couple is equal to 2 which means I was a 1/2pound off. notice my disclaimer.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
binary visions said:
i think it'd be a worthwhile investment for them to find a good US distributor, build up a few bikes (hardtail, short travel xc bike, trail bike, and dh/fr bike) and take 'em to races so folks can try them out. seems like a very small investment for the amount of $ it could generate.
or maybe rohloff is totally content with their production and sales right now and doesn't want to get any bigger. who knows.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
a couple is equal to 2 which means I was a 1/2pound off. notice my disclaimer.
You said "few", which is equal to three :D

The heaviest Speedhub setup they make (for Tandems) weighs 1825g according to their website. Don't have time to look up the weights of the XT setups but 1825g is a little over four pounds. Will check into other weights when I get home.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
You said "few", which is equal to three :D

The heaviest Speedhub setup they make (for Tandems) weighs 1825g according to their website. Don't have time to look up the weights of the XT setups but 1825g is a little over four pounds. Will check into other weights when I get home.
read it again biatch!