Quantcast

Sports Ill Cover + Lance = death

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Either the SI Cover curse will destroy Lance or Lance will finally destroy the curse...he's on the June 28 cover.

Whatcha think?

If you were a superstar athlete going for a big win/record/title... would you go on the cover?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well SI put the University of Connecticut men's and women's hoops team on the cover last year as their preseason #1's and both teams went on to win their respective championships, so there is some shred of hope for Lance. :)

Besides, I can't imagine this is Lance's first SI cover.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm a pretty big Lance fan, but I think this is Ulrich's year. Or....a Euro dark- horse? We'll see, it all begins Saturday!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
is there a billboard curse too? cuz he's got a huge one in times square i noticed this morning on the ride to work. looked like it was an ad for the tour de france, but was ALLLLLLL lance and not on a bike. super hollywood-like.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I really want Lance to win but if he doesn't I hope it is another American (i.e. Tyler Hamilton). Hamilton will be my favorite once Lance leaves the scene. It's good to see the American impact on a very European sport.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
well curses are not all theyre cracked up to be.
for instance the EA Sports cover curse could be broken soon. Al Pujols is on the cover of MLB and hes still doing OK. Hasnt gotten into a car wreck (Dany Heatly), Broken leg (Mike Vick), sucked (Tejada, Iglinla), or f'ed up his foot (Eddie George)
haha, listen to me debunking curses living in Boston
/go Yanks!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
luken8r said:
for instance the EA Sports cover curse could be broken soon. Al Pujols is on the cover of MLB and hes still doing OK. Hasnt gotten into a car wreck (Dany Heatly), Broken leg (Mike Vick), sucked (Tejada, Iglinla), or f'ed up his foot (Eddie George)
/go Yanks!
Let's not forget Culpepper (knee injury) and Marshall Faulk (bunch of injuries).

J

JRB

I wish the Tour was already over. I hate anticipation. I am very impatient.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
chromegoddess said:
is there a billboard curse too? cuz he's got a huge one in times square i noticed this morning on the ride to work. looked like it was an ad for the tour de france, but was ALLLLLLL lance and not on a bike. super hollywood-like.
Hey Chrome - do you ride your BMW to work?
Someone parks a fat BMW bike in the indoor lot at the American Museum of Natural history - you?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
luken8r said:
/go Yanks!
Hey didn't know that Buckner was back with the Red Soxs. :D

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Mackie said:
Hey Chrome - do you ride your BMW to work?
Someone parks a fat BMW bike in the indoor lot at the American Museum of Natural history - you?
Not me but very curious who it might be. Is it a hard tail or a f/s? What color? I won't even lock my far less "thief"-attracting commuter bike anywhere in the city. Job requirement numero uno when interviewing is bike can be kept five feet from my work space at all times. I pass the Museum on my gotta-get-there-quick route, maybe I'll pop in and check it out sometime.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Knuckleslammer said:
If he wins, is this number 5 or number 6. See if it's number 6, I don't get it. Woudn't you quit after 5? Seems more logicical. Unless he's going for 10.

:think:
No one has ever won six. There are four (or is it five) with five wins.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Knuckleslammer said:
If he wins, is this number 5 or number 6. See if it's number 6, I don't get it. Woudn't you quit after 5? Seems more logicical. Unless he's going for 10.

:think:
:confused: :think:

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
chromegoddess said:
Not me but very curious who it might be. Is it a hard tail or a f/s? What color? I won't even lock my far less "thief"-attracting commuter bike anywhere in the city. Job requirement numero uno when interviewing is bike can be kept five feet from my work space at all times. I pass the Museum on my gotta-get-there-quick route, maybe I'll pop in and check it out sometime.
i've heard about this bike before, like a couple years ago. it's a wonder that a bmw (park bike? link? tmx?) hasn't gotten stolen yet, especially since it's always parked in the same place.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
squarewheels said:
i've heard about this bike before, like a couple years ago. it's a wonder that a bmw (park bike? link? tmx?) hasn't gotten stolen yet, especially since it's always parked in the same place.
that's funny the bike is notorious just for parking there. i'll put the sherlock holmes cap on and see what i can figure out. i hope we haven't jinxed him/her on the not-stolen tip.

threadpoachin',
cg

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I thought that with Vinokourov and Ullrich together they'd be unstoppable, but with Vin out I think Lance has it in the bag. The end.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I think the attacks will come more often and from more places than last year.
Ulrich is stronger and on a better team, even without Vinnie.
Tyler will have TWO collarbones and a stronger team than CSC was.
Heras and Liberty Segundo (SP?) look pretty scary too.
Mayo is a badass, but he can't TT, and Euskatel dosen't have the horsepower to hold the jersey outside of the mountains.
I dont think Julich and CSC are a real threat, but he will attack.

I think this will be the toughest Tour for lance to date.

Man I can't wait!!!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
aha y'know i really enjoyed watching last years tour, when i could get the chance. i can't stand watching mt. bike video's cuz it always just jone's me out to ride. But i really can't stand riding my road bike very often, so i can actually sit down and enjoy the race. :D
curses are dumb, the only one that i believed in was Gregg Brady's curse when he found the tikin on the beach in Hawaii, then he almost drowned surfing...... some spooky stuff there.....