Quantcast

Sram and Shimano cross-compatibility Q

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I pretty much know the answer to this, but I wanted to confirm it:

On the DH bike, I have a Sram GX derailleur and shifter. The cassette is one of those fancy Sram one-piece 7spd DH XD cassettes.

I don't like the Sram shifter feel so I want to install an 11 speed Shimano XT shifter and Shimano 105 short cage derailleur on the back (going with 105 vs XT is just a question of what's available right this second...although the lack of a clutch on the 105 derailleur may make me re-think this).

From what I understand, the Sram DH drivetrain is 11 speed so really, unless Sram spaces their cogs differently from Shimano, this should all work whlie keeping the existing chain. Right?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Has anyone ran a Sram chain on full Shimano 12 speed drivetrain? Was it enjoyable?
I have run a Shimano chain on SRAM 12 speed and a Shimano Cassette with the rest being SRAM.

However, I don't think Shimano chains work with SRAM chainrings.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Shimano 12sp cassette, TRP mech, Uberbike chainring, KMC chain, I dig it.
Ordered another KMC chain yesterday, I can put my bike away wet and muddy and a week later the chain still hasn't rusted.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Shimano 12sp cassette, TRP mech, Uberbike chainring, KMC chain, I dig it.
Ordered another KMC chain yesterday, I can put my bike away wet and muddy and a week later the chain still hasn't rusted.
This. KMC X12 chains are amazing at resisting rust. Maybe a tad slower than Shimano when shifting to an easier gear with a Shimano 12sp cassette, but long lasting and smooth on the upshifts.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This. KMC X12 chains are amazing at resisting rust. Maybe a tad slower than Shimano when shifting to an easier gear with a Shimano 12sp cassette, but long lasting and smooth on the upshifts.
I don't like buying from Amazon but the KMC Ebike anti rust chains are very well priced from German sellers.
I have no idea on shifting speed, I hated the deore 12spd drivetrain that came on my Norco but I really like the current setup.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Shimano chains seem to attract rust.

Doesn't seem to wear out faster than the awful Sram GX or whatever chains, but it takes effort to maintain it.

My Shimano cassette only lasted about a year with a Shimano chain, but that might just be because of how gritty our trails are here - and I ride rain or shine.

I found an XX1 chain locally for a pretty good price, might grab that and just try it out. The one that I got my girlfriend for Christmas a few years ago is still going strong, its been impressive.

KMC's are priced pretty high here and importing one thing from zee Germans doesn't really make financial sense. Which particular chain do you have @HardtailHack ?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Shimano chains seem to attract rust.

Doesn't seem to wear out faster than the awful Sram GX or whatever chains, but it takes effort to maintain it.

My Shimano cassette only lasted about a year with a Shimano chain, but that might just be because of how gritty our trails are here - and I ride rain or shine.

I found an XX1 chain locally for a pretty good price, might grab that and just try it out. The one that I got my girlfriend for Christmas a few years ago is still going strong, its been impressive.

KMC's are priced pretty high here and importing one thing from zee Germans doesn't really make financial sense. Which particular chain do you have @HardtailHack ?
I got free freight so the chain was half the local MSRP.
It's this one, I have no idea on longevity, I just bought the E bike chain because I am fat and don't fully trust 12spd stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hmm thats 50% off at this shop. Maybe I'll grab both and compare..

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hmm thats 50% off at this shop. Maybe I'll grab both and compare..

This is no place for a science experiment, just buy one and say that all the other ones are shit.