Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Tesla Plaid was back with a lot of mods. There's a vid of testing at Laguna Seca. I think it "smashed" it's class last year...but there weren't many E cars I believe. Be interesting to see how it did.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Tesla Plaid was back with a lot of mods. There's a vid of testing at Laguna Seca. I think it "smashed" it's class last year...but there weren't many E cars I believe. Be interesting to see how it did.
Here it is:

Randy Pobst USA (Exhibition) 11:24.604

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Aotearoa is getting the Audi A6 Avant etron. :cupidarrow:

View attachment 178391

Trouble is I bet it’ll be like $200k.
Finally a wagon in a sea of crossovers, but no way I'll be able to afford it. Too bad the estate version of the ID 7(?) won't be released until 2024, otherwise I'd be happy to accept the rather bland look for a non horrible bodystyle. Not expecting it to be exactly affordable either though.

I'll need a new vehicle next year and will have to place an order very soon. Can't say I'm terribly excited about the current EV options. I generally like what the Koreans are doing, but both the Ioniq 5 and EV6 fall into the crossover category, don't offer enough boot space and no trailer hitch in case of the EV6. ID4 and Skoda Enyaq offer more room, but have worse charging tech, are utterly bland, and again - friggin crossovers. For now I have narrowed it down to two very different vehicles in the Model Y and ID Buzz.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Finally a wagon in a sea of crossovers, but no way I'll be able to afford it. Too bad the estate version of the ID 7(?) won't be released until 2024, otherwise I'd be happy to accept the rather bland look for a non horrible bodystyle. Not expecting it to be exactly affordable either though.

I'll need a new vehicle next year and will have to place an order very soon. Can't say I'm terribly excited about the current EV options. I generally like what the Koreans are doing, but both the Ioniq 5 and EV6 fall into the crossover category, don't offer enough boot space and no trailer hitch in case of the EV6. ID4 and Skoda Enyaq offer more room, but have worse charging tech, are utterly bland, and again - friggin crossovers. For now I have narrowed it down to two very different vehicles in the Model Y and ID Buzz.
I love the Buzz too. I recon you can get a hitch on anything if it’s just for a bike rack. Hell I have one on my Leaf.
Just as an FYI though a friend just got one of the old Ioniqs and when you put the rear seats down the boot space is huge, like a bit over 1.6m long. Front wheel off only territory for sure. She just moved house with it.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I love the Buzz too. I recon you can get a hitch on anything if it’s just for a bike rack. Hell I have one on my Leaf.
Just as an FYI though a friend just got one of the old Ioniqs and when you put the rear seats down the boot space is huge, like a bit over 1.6m long. Front wheel off only territory for sure. She just moved house with it.
I'd be leasing, and companies usually don't like any mods that don't come from the factory, but I've seen people that managed to retrofit a hitch. I checked out the Ioniq 5 in person a few times and it's certainly larger than its shape suggests, but I'll need a sizable boot that can preferably fit my bike trailer with the seats up due to a booster seat in the back. Without a kid, I was totally fine with a Golf and the 5 is substantially larger than that. If I had to go with a crossover it would most likely be the Skoda, despite how boring it is.

Sucks that I won't be able to see an ID Buzz in person before I would need to place an order. That's probably the kind of vehicle where that really makes a difference.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'd be leasing, and companies usually don't like any mods that don't come from the factory, but I've seen people that managed to retrofit a hitch. I checked out the Ioniq 5 in person a few times and it's certainly larger than its shape suggests, but I'll need a sizable boot that can preferably fit my bike trailer with the seats up due to a booster seat in the back. Without a kid, I was totally fine with a Golf and the 5 is substantially larger than that. If I had to go with a crossover it would most likely be the Skoda, despite how boring it is.

Sucks that I won't be able to see an ID Buzz in person before I would need to place an order. That's probably the kind of vehicle where that really makes a difference.
1656504141356.png

have you seen the ioniq6? It looks nice. But more importantly it looks like it could easily be made into a station wagon (or shooting break?)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
View attachment 178400
have you seen the ioniq6? It looks nice. But more importantly it looks like it could easily be made into a station wagon (or shooting break?)
Yeah I saw it and expect them to do the same thing VW will be doing with ID 7 and offer an estate eventually. I just wished they were going about it the other way around as estates are so much more popular and useful than sedans, at least where I live. I get that the sedan will be better aerodynamically and sport more impressive range. Both of those cars probably offer decent space already, but while the VW is a hatchback with good accessibility, the hinge on the Ioniq 6 is way down on the C pillar. I'm sure the interior on the VW won't be as nice as the Hyundai's and that it will be less affordable.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah I saw it and expect them to do the same thing VW will be doing with ID 7 and offer an estate eventually. I just wished they were going about it the other way around as estates are so much more popular and useful than sedans, at least where I live. I get that the sedan will be better aerodynamically and sport more impressive range. Both of those cars probably offer decent space already, but while the VW is a hatchback with good accessibility, the hinge on the Ioniq 6 is way down on the C pillar. I'm sure the interior on the VW won't be as nice as the Hyundai's and that it will be less affordable.
I don't understand why the automobile industry doesn't make more station wagons. Everyone I talk to seems to like them. I even bet that the popularity of CUVs is because they are essentially tall station wagons.

I'm 10 years into ownership of my CUV (Mazda CX-5) and I am so done with the tall roof. I fucking hate it. I can't quite reach into my roof box to pull my skis out, and and I can't quite hoist my (72lb) canoe onto the roof rails on my own. I long for a car with a roof 6" lower... but with a big trunk so I can still load all my camping stuff into it, or gear for a family (of 4) road trip. I can't be alone in this demographic?!

My next car will be electric, and I'm really hoping there will be more choice when it comes time to change in the next few years.

I used to like the sound of the EV6, but I read somewhere that it doesn't accept a hitch, so that's a no-go for me.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I used to like the sound of the EV6, but I read somewhere that it doesn't accept a hitch, so that's a no-go for me.
I mentioned that above as that is also a major turn off for me. You can get your dealer to install one for $1000+, it's just not really an option when you are leasing. Would be sweet if they offered a longer wheelbase, wagonized version of the EV6, but I fear they will do the same thing as Hyundai and opt for a ginormous SUV (Ioniq 7).

I've been blessed with tons of station wagon options in Europe and I would prefer the exact same bodystyle as my hybrid Passat on a full EV.
IMG_5596(1).jpg

Boring looks, but it's nice and low, super spacious and practical with a huge boot for family trips. Wagons are incredibly popular here, which makes the crossovers first approach from local manufacturers all the more baffling. I can only speculate that they need to generate significant sales in North America and China to make their investmens viable before branching out into other categories.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I mentioned that above as that is also a major turn off for me. You can get your dealer to install one for $1000+, it's just not really an option when you are leasing. Would be sweet if they offered a longer wheelbase, wagonized version of the EV6, but I fear they will do the same thing as Hyundai and opt for a ginormous SUV (Ioniq 7).

I've been blessed with tons of station wagon options in Europe and I would prefer the exact same bodystyle as my hybrid Passat on a full EV.
View attachment 178408

Boring looks, but it's nice and low, super spacious and practical with a huge boot for family trips. Wagons are incredibly popular here, which makes the crossovers first approach from local manufacturers all the more baffling. I can only speculate that they need to generate significant sales in North America and China to make their investmens viable before branching out into other categories.
They barely have models of car for sale in Murica, let alone wagons. It's SUV or trucks for 90% of road traffic.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No wagons in US for the most part due to CAFE footprint rules favoring things that count as SUVs (wrt ground clearance and approach/departure angles, iirc--this is why the CR-V and Lexus RX look as they do).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No wagons in US for the most part due to CAFE footprint rules favoring things that count as SUVs (wrt ground clearance and approach/departure angles, iirc--this is why the CR-V and Lexus RX look as they do).
that makes total sense. those stupid exceptions for trucks, or treating passenger vehicles like they are work vehicles has to end... it's created such a mess.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that makes total sense. those stupid exceptions for trucks, or treating passenger vehicles like they are work vehicles has to end... it's created such a mess.
Totally agree. Ditch the rules. Implement a Pigovian tax that captures the external costs of gas use. Voila.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Totally agree. Ditch the rules. Implement a Pigovian tax that captures the external costs of gas use. Voila.

this is what we have in Canada now. One could argue the price on carbon is still too low to be effective, but it is scheduled to increase over time...

edited to add: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/weather/climatechange/climate-action/pricing-carbon-pollution.html

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

View attachment 178408

the one thing i did not like about sister in laws passat...practically having to duck to exit car...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
An EV truck could have a massively better clearance with a hub motor and a ‘leg’. A sort of trailing arm thing for each wheel, like the Warthog in Halo except better.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An EV truck could have a massively better clearance with a hub motor and a ‘leg’. A sort of trailing arm thing for each wheel, like the Warthog in Halo except better.
did you just sort of reinvent the portal axle

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Same here. Interested in the transporter version, the regular one is too :fancy: for me.
What I don't get is, why they don't offer plug-in batteries to extend range. Similar to what some of the pedelecs do, one internal battery and and extra external that you can add when there is need for it. Especially in the VW Buzz you would have the space. With the 77 kwh battery the claimed range is 415 km, I cannot imagine that it is impossible to expand this by 2-4 battery modules that go in the cargo area when needed.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I don't understand why the automobile industry doesn't make more station wagons. Everyone I talk to seems to like them. I even bet that the popularity of CUVs is because they are essentially tall station wagons.

I'm 10 years into ownership of my CUV (Mazda CX-5) and I am so done with the tall roof. I fucking hate it. I can't quite reach into my roof box to pull my skis out, and and I can't quite hoist my (72lb) canoe onto the roof rails on my own. I long for a car with a roof 6" lower... but with a big trunk so I can still load all my camping stuff into it, or gear for a family (of 4) road trip. I can't be alone in this demographic?!

My next car will be electric, and I'm really hoping there will be more choice when it comes time to change in the next few years.

I like the look and function of the polestar 2. Have seen a bunch of them in town of late, but haven’t driven one. The price when configured well is a pretty eye-watering $100k tax included. Which of course makes me go back to… I’ll just continue to walk and/or ride bikes.