Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is just wrong. A car like this shouldn't be on BaT, just saying.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
not recyclable?
Currently recycling lithium ion polymer batteries is not easy. It looks like reusing them for another purpose is the best option. I am going to stick with burning gasoline for a while.
Here's a couple of links I found in 10 seconds:

I couldn't (quickly) find the name, but there's a Quebec company at the vanguard of repurposing EV batteries into grid-scale energy storage solutions.

Also worth mentioning is that not all the cells in a battery die out at the same time. Savvy manufacturers and battery recyclers will rest each cell and re-use that that are still in good shape (though as I understand it, it's still a very expensive process).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
what about them? Bat seems to be where a lot of enthusiasts hang out.
I guess I am old school. 90% of these auctions go WAY over what something should go for. Then there is a crazy new precedent set.

Back home a buddy uncle owned Almeda's Classic Cars. It was a pretty small shop, maybe 30 cars there for sale. You could spend between $20k and $500k, but you very well knew what you were getting. He always had at least 3 I would love to have and he also had 3 of his personal cars there on display. But now you just have a dude with a dealers license catching cars on Facebook and flipping them on BaT.

So rather than me scoring a find, I go to BaT and get into a bidding war with 20 other douchebags and pay $30k for a project 64 Impala with no motor or trans and more rust than chrome.

<edit> or $22k for a '60 on eBay.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But this is where you're wrong... none of these auctions go over "what something should go for." They go for EXACTLY what they should go for.
When you are talking global scale, yes. Unfortunately my budget doesn't account for global scale, so I am SOL. Unless I get lucky and find one in a field myself.

Also "whatever someone is willing to pay" doesn't always equal what someone should pay. :rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i saw 2 rivians in the last two days....

one on a rollback...

and one in traffic....

ford knockoffs

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
These have been selling for a lot less than han expected. If there is 1 C4 worth keeping, it's the ZR1.

<edit> this one has the crappy seats, a '92+ is best.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
These have been selling for a lot less than han expected. If there is 1 C4 worth keeping, it's the ZR1.

sorry sir, corvettes are reserved for 40 year + balding divorced males with ED

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

A doctor buddy in AZ just picked up a C6, was previously driving a Z3. He's blown away at how fun and capable the C6 is comparatively. He thought they were just for 40 year + balding divorced males with ED.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A doctor buddy in AZ just picked up a C6, was previously driving a Z3. He's blown away at how fun and capable the C6 is comparatively. He thought they were just for 40 year + balding divorced males with ED.
When my buddy sold his NISMO 350Z and got an '05 for $16k off craigslist, I thought he was crazy. After I drove it, I got it. Then bought my C4 for $4k. :rofl:

Both his C6 and my C5 were base model Z51 6 speeds (my C4 was auto). It's a pretty incredible package, the Z06 is incredible.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Speaking of blown head gaskets. With some work they are bad ass, but gotta catch em before they blow.

Also, 4.88 gears suck with 35's, need 5.29's.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Speaking of blown head gaskets. With some work they are bad ass, but gotta catch em before they blow.

Also, 4.88 gears suck with 35's, need 5.29's.
There sure is a lot of "allegedly" in that ad.

the turbocharged 2.4-liter 22RTE inline-four reportedly received a bottom-end rebuild under current ownership. Additional work carried out is said to have included installing a cylinder head from a naturally aspirated 22RE

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There sure is a lot of "allegedly" in that ad.
The 22RE didn't take the turbo well initially, that's why there is only one model year, I think. There are things like a metal head gasket and ARP bolts over torqued that have been said to "fix" it, but stock they go about 30k miles from what I recall.

My first Toyota was an '86 DX (22R carbureted) I bought after moving to Portland in '93. I looked at 2 turbos before I bought my DX and talked to a bunch of shops about them. Decided it wasn't worth the risk after finding out what you can do with the 22RE.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Screenshot_20220907_124351.jpg

$12K. A bargain if I've ever seen one. A steal, if you will. Too good to be true.

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
View attachment 181655

$12K. A bargain if I've ever seen one. A steal, if you will. Too good to be true.
from the one photo I see, it doesn’t look like the fire was started in the back. Rear wheel looks fine so there is a good possibility the engine and transaxle are good. There maybe some suspension and other stuff under the car that is fine. Though it all should be removed quick and the body scraped, rain plus burned cars pollutes a lot.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
from the one photo I see, it doesn’t look like the fire was started in the back. Rear wheel looks fine so there is a good possibility the engine and transaxle are good. There maybe some suspension and other stuff under the car that is fine. Though it all should be removed quick and the body scraped, rain plus burned cars pollutes a lot.
Screenshot_20220907-163256_Facebook.jpg

I dunno, the engine bay looks pretty cooked to me. But that's your area of expertise.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
In my garage. An auction site just seems awful, but it will go for stupid money for sure. I guess I've just had it with car auctions in general.
I sold the M on BaT.

As for where? Putting on miles at the track. That's where. Most tracks are 2-4 miles long. A good track day should be 30+ laps. Assuming that car has had a track only life, it's only had 4-7 track days in 2+yrs. Fuck that noise.