Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

:this is fine.gif:
man, the supercharger network was pretty much the only reason I would consider buying a Tesla... My 12 year old car is on its last legs. If I want to go electric, and still be able to do road trips over 800kms, Tesla was the only realistic option. But if they slack off there... why would I want to be associated with that lunatic sociopathic arsehole?!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
man, the supercharger network was pretty much the only reason I would consider buying a Tesla... My 12 year old car is on its last legs. If I want to go electric, and still be able to do road trips over 800kms, Tesla was the only realistic option. But if they slack off there... why would I want to be associated with that lunatic sociopathic arsehole?!
With adapters and multiple ports on DCFC everything probably will have CCS and NACS for the next decade. And the 3rd party networks will get more reliable.

(And you could always just rent for the odd road trip.)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
With adapters and multiple ports on DCFC everything probably will have CCS and NACS for the next decade. And the 3rd party networks will get more reliable.

(And you could always just rent for the odd road trip.)
A buddy of mine is working with (for?) a VC fund that want to get into the charging business. I'm confident (hopeful?) things will improve across the board with "the rest" catching up to Tesla soon. But still, that's a bold move, I honestly think their charging network was their major advantage to anyone not in the west-coast tech bubble, or independently wealthy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've never considered a lease before, but the Polestar 2 is $299/month with a grand down as a Costco member. I'm spending $500-$600 a month in gas for the truck and would rather buy another Corvette, but that doesn't save me any money, just makes the drive funner.

10k miles a year would almost cover my 3 day a week commute, $320 a month for 12k miles. That's a seriously tempting offer putting $200 back in the bank every month, especially with my current cut salary.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've never considered a lease before, but the Polestar 2 is $299/month with a grand down as a Costco member. I'm spending $500-$600 a month in gas for the truck and would rather buy another Corvette, but that doesn't save me any money, just makes the drive funner.

10k miles a year would almost cover my 3 day a week commute, $320 a month for 12k miles. That's a seriously tempting offer putting $200 back in the bank every month, especially with my current cut salary.
also price out what's being offered on the Hyundai Kona Electric (especially the SE) and the Toyota bZ4X XLE in particular for 2 year leases. you being in OR without sales tax helps in the equation for sure.

(and where would you charge it? just 120V in the garage? would that give you enough miles for your commute? you'll get ~3 miles per hour of charging on 120V iirc.)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
also price out what's being offered on the Hyundai Kona Electric (especially the SE) and the Toyota bZ4X XLE in particular for 2 year leases. you being in OR without sales tax helps in the equation for sure.

(and where would you charge it? just 120V in the garage? would that give you enough miles for your commute? you'll get ~3 miles per hour of charging on 120V iirc.)
My commute is about 80 miles round trip. I could easily do a 220v setup in the garage. And if I'm only driving every other day and not on the weekends, it should be manageable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My commute is about 80 miles round trip. I could easily do a 220v setup in the garage. And if I'm only driving every other day and not on the weekends, it should be manageable.
cool. I'm clearly in favor of the idea given my recent super cheap Busy Forks lease. my advice:

1) post in the Edmunds lease forum thread for the model you're interested in to find the current month's non-marked up MF, RV, and lease cash. you post with the year, specific model/trim (e.g. AWD XLE), lease term (like 24/12), and your zip code and one of the mods posts an hour later with the specifics.

2) deal with dealers only via email. get everything in writing. full lease quote including MF specified, dealer fees, all of it. don't accept any markups to the MF or the like, and try for an MSRP discount at least enough to cancel out any dealer/doc fees.

3) when you get around to it, throw in a 50A 240V line in your garage and pop a NEMA 14-50R on there. then find the cheapest UL listed 40A EVSE on Amazon and hang that on a stud near enough to said receptacle, then Bob's your uncle.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
2) deal with dealers only via email. get everything in writing. full lease quote including MF specified, dealer fees, all of it. don't accept any markups to the MF or the like, and try for an MSRP discount at least enough to cancel out any dealer/doc fees.
Kona EV lease is great at MSRP with MF marked up. Unfortunately the Kona EV is not easy to get at the moment unless you want it in construction worker yellow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Kona EV lease is great at MSRP with MF marked up. Unfortunately the Kona EV is not easy to get at the moment unless you want it in construction worker yellow.
yeah, the Kona Electric was my leading contender until the crazy bZ4X lease cash + essentially 0 MF deal cropped up in April. add to that a big dealer offering straight up discounts off MSRP and I bit, immediately.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
$16,250 lease cash!?!?!?!?!? :confused: dang!
yeah, my deal was amazing:

2024 bZ4X XLE AWD

Deal specifics: 24/12 lease, $4,409 off MSRP + $799 dealer fee, 50% RV, 0.00001 MF, $16,250 TFS lease cash, $5k CO tax credit separately claimed at tax time as rolling it in would put net cap cost below residual.
that works out to $54.91/mo x 24 mo net with 0 extra down at signing, including tax. for 228 miles of AWD electric modernity.

:notbadobama:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just saw Tesla has a "too good to be true" lease for $300 a month now, but I would literally give my money to anyone but Elon if given a chance.

My issue is I don't want a crossover or SUV, I want a coupe or sedan and if it's dual motor, cool. But I don't need room for 5, I need "fits full size golf bag". :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That polestar lease caught my eye. I haven’t done the math on gas lately but I’m probably at two tanks a month = $120 or so, plus my just over three monthly payment….

I like the Toyota but after contacting 5 dealers and getting no information, I’m starting to see the appeal of avoiding them altogether. I asked if they have the lease special available and cars that would qualify, and got “Come to our dealer we have cars”. I can only imagine the fun of contacting a Hyundai dealer.

That polestar lease caught my eye. I haven’t done the math on gas lately but I’m probably at two tanks a month = $120 or so, plus my just over three monthly payment….

I like the Toyota but after contacting 5 dealers and getting no information, I’m starting to see the appeal of avoiding them altogether. I asked if they have the lease special available and cars that would qualify, and got “Come to our dealer we have cars”. I can only imagine the fun of contacting a Hyundai dealer.
I once went to look at a Kia, dealership was so bad that I stopped looking.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

through emailing All Of The Dealers I actually found good/responsible internet sales dudes at a Toyota dealer (clearly) and a Hyundai dealer. but so many old fogies whose response to email is just that, "come in and let me draw 4 boxes for you".

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
through emailing All Of The Dealers I actually found good/responsible internet sales dudes at a Toyota dealer (clearly) and a Hyundai dealer. but so many old fogies whose response to email is just that, "come in and let me draw 4 boxes for you".
"What do you need your payment to be?"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah I feel like I must be doing something wrong.
"I want [points at menu] that. Can I have that please?"
"Sir we have lots of chicken sandwiches, some even with spicy sauce"
"I want that [points to not a chicken sandwich]"

I don't want to come on down! to the dealer, I just want to hear you say "We've got a grey one of those, here are the details" and I can convince myself to buy it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I hear you. And my hit rate for competent internet sales guys was probably ~5%.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I hear you. And my hit rate for competent internet sales guys was probably ~5%.
That's reassuring. I decided to try again based on this conversation "We have one that will be available at the end of the week. When can you come in and talk to my manager to put a deposit on it"

I'm gonna try the polestar peeps, hold my beer...

Also looks like tesla threw their tweet in the ring with a $300 lease. Too bad it's a tesla.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's reassuring. I decided to try again based on this conversation "We have one that will be available at the end of the week. When can you come in and talk to my manager to put a deposit on it"

Also looks like tesla threw their tweet in the ring with a $300 lease. Too bad it's a tesla.
Tesla doesn't give you a purchase option at the end of the lease and that seems odd. That is another reason I'm considering the Polestar as well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Tesla doesn't give you a purchase option at the end of the lease and that seems odd. That is another reason I'm considering the Polestar as well.
That's weird, but I've heard a lot of very dumb things about polestar lease returns as well. Somebody was looking at a buyout value of 41k, where they are selling used for 10k less than that.

Polester was certainly more on the ball with a recent email. No 299 specials left, but what's 100 bucks more a month between friends? Especially if those friends have H+K speakers and blind spot monitors. I want to see if there are any bonus bucks from MA in there to sweeten the deal. That plus 2k back from Costco would make me walk from my genesis

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Buyout value is always just the residual as per the original lease terms except for special one off deals, no? So that shouldn’t be a surprise.

if the lessor had set RV artificially high to make the initial lease terms sweeter then that’s one thing, but that’s the whole point really: they assume the risk of the actual value not matching the specified residual.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

“Pole-lay-star”.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
It's a very sad state many dealerships are in these days. It's a lot like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot ect. The small mom and pop owned dealerships are being bought out by the big corporate dealer groups. A few years ago you may have had a nice XYZ franchise down the road, the owner gets an offer they can't refuse to a huge auto group and they sell. Now that store sucks. The auto groups come in, fire everyone to replace them with minimum skilled people earning minimum pay. The worst part of this is that the actual manufacturers are fine with this for the most part. Ford's CEO is pushing hard to turn dealerships into service centers and a place to pick up the car you ordered online.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's a very sad state many dealerships are in these days. It's a lot like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot ect. The small mom and pop owned dealerships are being bought out by the big corporate dealer groups. A few years ago you may have had a nice XYZ franchise down the road, the owner gets an offer they can't refuse to a huge auto group and they sell. Now that store sucks. The auto groups come in, fire everyone to replace them with minimum skilled people earning minimum pay. The worst part of this is that the actual manufacturers are fine with this for the most part. Ford's CEO is pushing hard to turn dealerships into service centers and a place to pick up the car you ordered online.
Ahhh... ain't unfettered capitalism GRAND? :rolleyes: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
counterpoint: big dealers actually move units. I got my crazy Busy Forks deal through an AutoNation store, and with the discount they were throwing around they must get extra holdback or something from Toyota.

(and the internet sales guy was competent. got initial quote, did negotiation, and confirmed final numbers all over email. and nothing awry when I went in to actually sign and get keys.)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Where did you see this? This one has $3k down and weird extra discounts. Not really a thing unless the real deal is elsewhere

There is nothing special about it, it seems to be a competitive deal to the polester, but that car comes with AWD and door handles. Still, 300/mo with 3k down isn’t terrible, it’s just that the polester is 1k down with 400/mo if you buy what’s available with Costco fun.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I’ve noticed that there are very few independent dealers anymore. They are all part of a large conglomerate. I contacted two differently named Hyundai dealers and got the same form email back.

hey @Sandwich

do that 24/12 on the SE long range as a one-pay and subtract out the MA credit and then it's pretty decent!
I had did not, but that’s right up my alley. I’ll see who can not answer my questions with that horrendous piece.