Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Lemme guess, you took the one good thing about this car, the light weight, and ruined it?
my 77 landcruiser weighed less than that ev....3729.16 pounds....

the most fun at 12 mpg hwy i've ever had....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I would argue there is more than one good thing about the mx5.
I would argue most of those things come from being light weight. So yeah, more than one good thing, but I would argue the most important thing...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Problem With Electric Trucks Bro Dozers
Lotsa correlation without causation in that article and newer vehicles have collision warning systems, most of them will intervene to help. Not that I think we should be designing heavier vehicles, as it's true that this is problematic, just that the article ignores this is the trend anyway with the proliferation of trucks and SUVs. We are already there. Only intervening safety systems will make a dent (ha!) anyway IMO. We are well past thee point of people giving a shit about what and how they drive.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got a notice that the Car-Net data service connection for my car will no longer work as AT&T will no longer support 3G. Thankfully a service/subscription that I don't use but also why integrating certain technologies into a car is fucking stupid. Don't do anything I can do with a phone.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Got a notice that the Car-Net data service connection for my car will no longer work as AT&T will no longer support 3G. Thankfully a service/subscription that I don't use but also why integrating certain technologies into a car is fucking stupid. Don't do anything I can do with a phone.
My MIL still whips out her standalone Tom Tom if she needs GPS directions, while her iPhone sits forgotten in her purse. LOL! :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
AT&T recently sent my wife a brand new Galaxy phone due to their dropping support for 3G. In their records they thought she was still using her old phone I sold a couple of years ago.

You should demand a new 5G compliant car as a replacement.

edit: while I'm posting in this thread I'd like to blame @Sandwich for the Genesis adverts which now hit me every time I view something on youtube.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My MIL still whips out her standalone Tom Tom if she needs GPS directions, while her iPhone sits forgotten in her purse. LOL! :rofl:
I got a call from a number I didn't know with my home town area code. It was my buddies mom calling me lost. :rofl:

She hasn't figured out her new phone yet and her son works nights so she didn't want to call him. She also just moved up here like a month ago, so I'm a little worried.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Well if the car was gonna die at least it happened today in town instead of out in the Central Valley this weekend. I was a Lowes in Dublin. I might have been in for ten minutes. The Mercedes had been running great. Went to start it back up. It fired up then started stuttering and died. tried about 20 times with the same result. It has to be the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. Had it towed to the guys who replaced the fuel pump about a year ago, should be under warranty. Ruth came and picked me up. Still a pain no matter what

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well if the car was gonna die at least it happened today in town instead of out in the Central Valley this weekend. I was a Lowes in Dublin. I might have been in for ten minutes. The Mercedes had been running great. Went to start it back up. It fired up then started stuttering and died. tried about 20 times with the same result. It has to be the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. Had it towed to the guys who replaced the fuel pump about a year ago, should be under warranty. Ruth came and picked me up. Still a pain no matter what
Is it one of the diesels that can run on KFC?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I know we have to go electric but I still find it fascinating that you can have a controlled explosion ~80 times a second in a little tube and parts somehow stay together. Wonder how many Gs a piston sees?

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I learned the wait for a build slot on the Taycan was about 4 months. The wait for a 911 is currently 3 years. :twitch:

$102,360 as configured

iris.jpeg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I learned the wait for a build slot on the Taycan was about 4 months. The wait for a 911 is currently 3 years. :twitch:

$102,360 as configured

View attachment 166073
I like the Audi version better, visually. That front end of the Porsche is kinda ugly to me. It's like different than the Panamera just to be different and doesn't end up as good.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like the Audi version better, visually. That front end of the Porsche is kinda ugly to me. It's like different than the Panamera just to be different and doesn't end up as good.
The Audi is pretty damn hot. The Audi dealer is next door to the Porsche, I should have looked to see if they had one. The full glass roof in the Taycan is also really nice.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Think I priced one, a handful of options... 145K CAD. Was annoying to "add" and pay extra for stuff that should just be included. By the time these actually become available, there will be more interesting, more affordable options of EV for sale. Did I mention how f-ing wide this car is? It's as wide as a full size SUV. It does look kinda cool, but no thanks.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The Audi is pretty damn hot. The Audi dealer is next door to the Porsche, I should have looked to see if they had one. The full glass roof in the Taycan is also really nice.
I have Wifey on board with an electric car going fwd. She still wants her big 7-seater, so we are waiting for a Q7 or equivalent, but she's totally on board at this point. This makes me happy.

It likely won't be available for another 4-6 years, which will be about when we're done paying for both the Pilot and All-road, so a premium for that car will be a lateral move given our current out of pocket. So that works for me nicely.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have Wifey on board with an electric car going fwd. She still wants her big 7-seater, so we are waiting for a Q7 or equivalent, but she's totally on board at this point. This makes me happy.

It likely won't be available for another 4-6 years, which will be about when we're done paying for both the Pilot and All-road, so a premium for that car will be a lateral move given our current out of pocket. So that works for me nicely.

Soon, since the R1T is rolling off the line already.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

The ID Buzz should become available next year. Looks interesting, let us see if VW screws up the price again (rumor is 40K € base price).