Quantcast

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Try counting just the "generic blob crossovers" some time on the way home. They are EVERYWHERE. :D
This is my issue with buying the CX-5...I know it'll do 90% of what I want it to do, comfortably and cheaply. It's the 10% I'm worried about.

I'm honestly surprised the CRV isn't offered in beige. They all look the same and are the ultimate camouflage car.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The American Dream. Taking your extended family in luxurious comfort on an eXtreme overland adventure to pick up some mulch.

And look rugged while doing it.
If I can't carry 9 of my closest friends in complete comfort with massaging chairs and individual climate zones through rugged terrain like the Alps or Bushwick with Blizzard, tornado, rain, or mild traffic, with 19 cupholders, then I'm out.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
how often do you see them in for repairs?

I saw a new one in the parking lot last night, thought it was something else. They didn't change the shape much for 2021. Then I saw like 19 CX-5s on the way home.
We opted out for the Genesis franchise when it was offered to us. When we did sell them before the split the G80, G90 and Equus were never in the shop.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
This is my issue with buying the CX-5...I know it'll do 90% of what I want it to do, comfortably and cheaply. It's the 10% I'm worried about.

I'm honestly surprised the CRV isn't offered in beige. They all look the same and are the ultimate camouflage car.
The Mazda CX-5 is not very impressive, old clunky infotainment, tinny ride. The ZoomZoom is nice but I draw the line there. I cross sell a lot with Mazda, the showroom is 30 feet from mine. It's very rare that anyone chooses the Mazda product over Hyundai or even Ford :no:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We opted out for the Genesis franchise when it was offered to us. When we did sell them before the split the G80, G90 and Equus were never in the shop.
Thanks for the info. I don't see much on the forums about them or their associated problems. Some wind noise from the driver's mirror and vibration from the steering column. I know things got weird when Hyundai tried to spin out Genesis, but I figured a lot of people would still be headed back to Hyundai dealerships for service. Locally, there aren't any Genesis dealers, just Hyundai that also sells Genesis. Not a huge fan of either Hyundai dealer I've been to, but that's isolated to shitty used cars and grumpy salesman rather than anything else.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The Mazda CX-5 is not very impressive, old clunky infotainment, tinny ride. The ZoomZoom is nice but I draw the line there. I cross sell a lot with Mazda, the showroom is 30 feet from mine. It's very rare that anyone chooses the Mazda product over Hyundai or even Ford :no:
Interesting. I have no interest in new Hyundai product as the markups are kookoobananas. Haven't looked at Ford much as I want something with maximum reliability, as much as is reasonable.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Given how badly we drive in general, I can't see this ending badly at all.

It will also be very loud. I can’t see cities adopting these en-masse because of that social license issue. They would be highly obnoxious, like jetskis on your calm summer lake.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah, the infotainment is clunky, but when I had mine this summer, it was turned off most of the time. Tinny was not at all how I would describe the ride. It was solid, impressive even. The drive and interior of the one we had was far and above the other hyundai rentals I had (2021 tuscon, etc.). Can't speak for Ford. Apparently they've updated the infotainment of the cx5 for 2022.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wasn't going to get into it, but I was pretty impressed with the CX-5. The handling was great, not all that far off from the solidity of the alfa at low speed, though it's clearly FWD. The interior was quiet in both the CPO and new one. The newer one I drove (2021) had the wider infotainment with what I presume is the new setup. I like that mazda forces you into a wheel rather than touchscreen. It makes the infotainment clunky compared to a phone but it allows you to use it without looking at it.

Anyways, it was miles ahead of the Rav4 I owned, even if it was still a CUV. That's the 10% I mentioned before...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If the current version of Biden’s infrastructure bill survives as is and passes, y’all will be able to get $12.5k off your future EV purchases. Not too shabby.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If the current version of Biden’s infrastructure bill survives as is and passes, y’all will be able to get $12.5k off your future EV purchases. Not too shabby.
Taycan here I come! Now I just need to find a way to justify turning cars so fast to Wifey...

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
A friend who does car-dealer-software shit said dealer markup on a new Mach E was $20k.

$15k on a new Maverick.

but wait, there's more: $50k markup on a Bronco 1st Edition

Glad I just bought out my lease!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey is ready for her hybrid or electric Q7. Also game to order a electric or hybrid XC90. Just chilling to see if incentives get better and/or prices come down. It seems to be that newer models don't have the chip issues of stale models, so maybe they will be able to quickly* shift past the "chip shortage".

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wifey is ready for her hybrid or electric Q7. Also game to order a electric or hybrid XC90. Just chilling to see if incentives get better and/or prices come down. It seems to be that newer models don't have the chip issues of stale models, so maybe they will be able to quickly* shift past the "chip shortage".
The new XC90 hybrid also have the upgraded infotainment software and seats made for tall guys.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The new XC90 hybrid also have the upgraded infotainment software and seats made for tall guys.
Oh, they're glorious seats for sure!

Realistically, whomever makes an electric Q7, XC90, or GX460 first will win. She's nervous about a full electric, but when I went through the fact that we've only gone beyond Winter Park's distance a few times in the last few years, and all of those times we ended somewhere that we'd have a whole night to charge, she realized that it's kind of moot. And realistically, if we need to do a trip further than that, we can always jump in the All-Road. If we're going far, were only going as four anyways. And worst case, we can rent a car - it's not like we're fund limited.

It's just about changing mentality to look not at "what if" and instead look at "most often", then find solutions for the exceptions. If you have cash flow for a 7-seater, but a 5-seater costs $150 less per month, get the 5-seater and rent the 7-seater when needed for those exceptional events. You will pay for the first exception in a month. And if you get an electric 5-seater, you'll likely save an extra $100+/m on gas vs. electric. It's basic math at the end of the day.

Our primary car is hers, which is why I'm trying to get it over to electric. Even the XC90 hybrid had an 18mile electric range. That covers most of our day-day driving and probably 90% of our weekend errands. Full electric? Shit...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have you guys checked your electric charges and compared them to gas? Last time I looked, a model 3 was like a couple hundred cheaper per year than the alfa with premium gas. Our electric is pretty expensive, and split between delivery and use charges (or whatever it is). I didn't really see a dramatic cost savings switching to electric, though you aren't burning gas anymore. IMO the big savings come in once solar is factored into the cost. Otherwise it's just the "convenience" of not visiting a gas station.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you guys checked your electric charges and compared them to gas? Last time I looked, a model 3 was like a couple hundred cheaper per year than the alfa with premium gas. Our electric is pretty expensive, and split between delivery and use charges (or whatever it is). I didn't really see a dramatic cost savings switching to electric, though you aren't burning gas anymore. IMO the big savings come in once solar is factored into the cost. Otherwise it's just the "convenience" of not visiting a gas station.
Electricity is cheap here and gas is expensive. Operational cost savings should be around $0.10 a mile.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Electric is also very smooth, no turbo lag, no downshifting. Just torque, now.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was running $.02/mile on the Bolt vs. $.18/mile on the Subaru, not even counting service costs which would drive the Subaru costs higher. With pure electric I assume my running costs would go down nearly 90%. It would also comfortably flatten out any adtl cost of solar, over the ~$100/m we currently pay in electricity. Financially, assuming you have the ability to cover the front end costs, there is zero reason to not switch to electric and solar.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I don’t know if anyone does this in the US, but my electric company, on my production of proof of registration of an EV, offer an extra low overnight rate. I pay NZ$0.22kW/h in the day and $0.06 at night when I charge. I’ve had my Leaf for getting on 2 years now and my maintenance outgoings are one new set of windscreen wipers and a new set of tyres. They are so much cheaper to run.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don’t know if anyone does this in the US, but my electric company, on my production of proof of registration of an EV, offer an extra low overnight rate. I pay NZ$0.22kW/h in the day and $0.06 at night when I charge. I’ve had my Leaf for getting on 2 years now and my maintenance outgoings are one new set of windscreen wipers and a new set of tyres. They are so much cheaper to run.
We have rates based on usage cycles in CO. More expensive during the day vs. night, which has a similar effect.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We have rates based on usage cycles in CO. More expensive during the day vs. night, which has a similar effect.
What's your time of use pricing differential? In Tabernash with MPEI it's 7 cents/kWh off peak, 21 cents on peak. On peak is 5-10 PM Monday through Saturday.

Here in Denver on Xcel it's a tiny differential, iirc. They're going to make it the default going forward (phasing in by 2024). There is an opt out option, though, and at the opt out plan's rates I think I should opt out instead of dealing with delaying charging EVs, etc.

I get why having less peaker plants is better but the incentive needs to be better, IMO.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.16.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.17.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.17.55 PM.png

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Burn coal not gasoline :hmm:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001