Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
We meet again.

Different trailhead, same amg wagon. Odd rack choice for such a car.
Probably can’t fit a hitch with that diffuser. Also, makes it easy to deny you’re a mtber at the country club. Either that or, “mom, can i borrow the car!!”

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
skandic

jfc

I'm talking about this

and definitely not this

You're arguing snowmobiling with a snowmobiler. Which is a thing you know nothing about. And the fact that you just cited what's essentially a utility vehicle couldn't illustrate that any better.

Heavy, unwieldy thing that moves along hardpacked groomed snow and is useless in real snow already exists. It's called taiga

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
0550AD42-B357-4872-8BA7-1F920B1D3757.jpeg

:(

So the Tesla unit is 140kg (motor+inverter+gearbox) and makes 276kw. There’s 60kg back right there and moa power.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How much is your time worth? Is that a kia?
Yes, it's a Kia, and this was a 10/10 as far as difficulty on e-trailer's site. It was not easy. No step by itself was crazy hard, but it was a lot of time and steps and removing stuff, etc. Stuff comes up during the install though where something doesn't fit just right, break out the dremel or get a little more space, etc. I wouldn't trust a shop to do something like this. No doubt there are certain parts they could do way faster, but I wouldn't put any faith in them to do stuff right and not strip out fittings, fasteners, wedge stuff against other stuff, etc.

I put on swaybars a few months ago. That was faster...but harder.
IMG_9677.JPG
IMG_9963.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Probably can’t fit a hitch with that diffuser. Also, makes it easy to deny you’re a mtber at the country club. Either that or, “mom, can i borrow the car!!”
I just cut a little square in my diffuser today.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Trust me, you're not the first to try and build a ready made out of existing parts. They don't exist.
Of course, or it would exist. It’s just interesting to see how close we are. Not far. Solid state batteries or H2 will do it I think.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, it's a Kia, and this was a 10/10 as far as difficulty on e-trailer's site. It was not easy. No step by itself was crazy hard, but it was a lot of time and steps and removing stuff, etc. Stuff comes up during the install though where something doesn't fit just right, break out the dremel or get a little more space, etc. I wouldn't trust a shop to do something like this. No doubt there are certain parts they could do way faster, but I wouldn't put any faith in them to do stuff right and not strip out fittings, fasteners, wedge stuff against other stuff, etc.

View attachment 167091View attachment 167092
Oh yeah, there was one step where you send a wire with a coil on it through a hole in the car's frame, it comes out another hole, then you put a block onto the wire, then thread the bolt into the coil, then you shove the parts separately up through the 2nd hole (they are too big to go at once), then you pull on the other end of the wire and your bolt comes out if you are lucky, still holding onto the coil, then you yank on the wire and pull it off, put a washer and a not on it, hoping it won't fall back into the hole. I was lucky, it actually worked pretty well, but it looked sketch as hell in the video.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey, I saw one once. So mean.
You basically just did the equivalent of 'oh hey you're a mountainbiker right? Like this!"

Of course, or it would exist. It’s just interesting to see how close we are. Not far. Solid state batteries or H2 will do it I think.
Farther than you think. Polaris and brp have been working on this for over a decade. And the first two companies to come out with working models are so far off base it's comedy. A bit like tesla

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are those pipes going to be pointed straight at wheels?
I've had a lot of low cars and have never had a problem, mostly because the racks lift the bike up and above the exhaust most of the time, I also run one tray and it's further back than if there were two. Yeah, that has happened to some people before in specific situations, but running my rack in back of my 455hp Camaro, it's never been a problem for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That’s Ned Overend isn’t it?
You’re very sensitive today. Is it because you missed that nipple earlier?
I miss nipples 24/7, daily. Even when nipples. Nipples are missed.

I just despise wasted potential squandered by arrogance. See: kenda, trailbuiding 2021, tesla, and basically every tech bro who wants to argue how easy a problem is to solve who doesn't understand the premise. I told you the specs to match and you grabbed a studebaker to argue with me.

The next landfiller irrelevance isn't really what we should be after in regards to first attempts these days.

And yes, ned overend. With triathlon bars on what passed for a 'mountainbike' for everyone who didn't really "bike" on "mountains"

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've had a lot of low cars and have never had a problem, mostly because the racks lift the bike up and above the exhaust most of the time, I also run one tray and it's further back than if there were two. Yeah, that has happened to some people before in specific situations, but running my rack in back of my 455hp Camaro, it's never been a problem for me.
I just keep thinking of the enve consumer alert regarding something similar. Same applies to synthetic rubber for all intents an purposes. I'm just picturing all that work and then once the bike rack and bike are on.........."oh shit"

that's fucking commitment *fistbump*

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just keep thinking of the enve consumer alert regarding something similar. Same applies to synthetic rubber for all intents an purposes. I'm just picturing all that work and then once the bike rack and bike are on.........."oh shit"

that's fucking commitment *fistbump*
Well, you'll know when you see the melted tire or fire. Easy to spot.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

View attachment 167091View attachment 167092
Wait. Where's the Chevy?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I told you the specs to match and you grabbed a studebaker to argue with me.
I wasn’t arguing, I literally said I expect a BV would be too heavy, and then wondered how close we are. Box breathing, bro.
The next landfiller irrelevance isn't really what we should be after in regards to first attempts these days.
Totally agree.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wasn’t arguing, I literally said I expect a BV would be too heavy, and then wondered how close we are. Box breathing, bro.
Totally agree.
I've been looking at a lot of the somewhere between dirtbike and mountainbike things (sur ron etc) and all I see is next year's landfill. It's kind of bumming me out because that's one realm that just has so much potential. Dirtbikes are too heavy for anything under 60mph and realistically mtbs and ebikes are twitchy weirdness above 30mph. But god damn there's a lot of junk being made.

Trust me, I'd love to have electric toys because the lack of ICE noise opens up a whole lot of potential. But the wrong people are working on it. Kind of like the sur ron world. "burn outs" are listed as a marketing appeal.

Snowmobiles present a pretty unique design challenge. Honestly one I don't see being adressed in the next 20 years. It's tougher than cars and not even a blip in terms of market size. They've gotten pretty damn good in their current iteration. And utilizing a lot of things that are the opposite of electric locomotion.

And yes you literally argued with me over what modern performance snowmobiles weigh just to make arm strength jokes ;)

You should see these gunz every spring after a good winter!

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've been looking at a lot of the somewhere between dirtbike and mountainbike things (sur ron etc) and all I see is next year's landfill. It's kind of bumming me out because that's one realm that just has so much potential. Dirtbikes are too heavy for anything under 60mph and realistically mtbs and ebikes are twitchy weirdness above 30mph. But god damn there's a lot of junk being made.

Trust me, I'd love to have electric toys because the lack of ICE noise opens up a whole lot of potential. But the wrong people are working on it. Kind of like the sur ron world. "burn outs" are listed as a marketing appeal.
You seen the LMX?
https://lmxbikes.com/index.php/lmx-161/

or the Mrazek Revx?
1636174197599.jpeg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I hadn't

Definitely clicked english for a language and the page is definitely still en francais however

Does that exist or is it still investor vaporware like most of the others?

but hey, no nuisance!

nussiance.JPG

That Mrazek is being sold here as a Czek drill or something. Saw a video today of a guy doing flat turn track laps in the lowest setting and it overheated after like 6min.

Hard to tell if it's the same company but it's definitely the same frame and layout.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've been looking for small awd or 4wd service vehicles to do the jerb and I think I've landed on the Ford Maverick. Haha it seems like the ticket. It would be a done deal if they came out with a service canopy for it. 1500lb payload and 4000 lb towing capacity. Small enough to park out of the way on jobsites and I can keep bottles of ammonia / acetone / gas cylinders in the bed area. Anyone had any time around one?

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I've been looking at a lot of the somewhere between dirtbike and mountainbike things (sur ron etc) and all I see is next year's landfill.
What do you think is the issue with the Sur Ron? I have not yet seen one in the flesh, but I am curious about them. The CZEM Drill One looks super fun but is a little spendy for just trying things out.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
“ Dirtbikes are too heavy for anything under 60mph”
I wouldn’t say all dirt bikes, ya MX bikes aren’t too much fun not wide open, but woods bikes can be set up for some slow speed fun. Most of the riding I do on my 300xc is 15mph or under.

I have thrown my leg over a Sur-Ron a few times. It rides like a big wheel 110. Pretty fun for dicking around on but would be a pretty big let down if you were hoping for a larger dirt bike feel.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Oh yeah, there was one step where you send a wire with a coil on it through a hole in the car's frame, it comes out another hole, then you put a block onto the wire, then thread the bolt into the coil, then you shove the parts separately up through the 2nd hole (they are too big to go at once), then you pull on the other end of the wire and your bolt comes out if you are lucky, still holding onto the coil, then you yank on the wire and pull it off, put a washer and a not on it, hoping it won't fall back into the hole. I was lucky, it actually worked pretty well, but it looked sketch as hell in the video.
Had to do something similar for my rack install. That was the trickiest part, but it went super smoothly. Whole install was about 90 minutes solo.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wouldn’t say all dirt bikes, ya MX bikes aren’t too much fun not wide open, but woods bikes can be set up for some slow speed fun. Most of the riding I do on my 300xc is 15mph or under.

I have thrown my leg over a Sur-Ron a few times. It rides like a big wheel 110. Pretty fun for dicking around on but would be a pretty big let down if you were hoping for a larger dirt bike feel.
woods riding is 90% of what I do. My 200lb 125 is pretty much the max of what I consider acceptable, my 250x not even close.

I think everyone's just used to it. I hop on a gasser trials bike and go ride what whould normally be a techinal ride for most people/average mtb ride for everyone else terrain-wise and you just don't need that much mass for bumping or down rocks roots and trying to corner effeciently.

Those wheels, the fork chassis....all made to withstand casing 60ft jumps and 80mph whoops. Not everyone needs that much burl. Least of whom are the majority of 300xcws out there getting dropped all over the place because that much mass is awkward at 2mph.

If youre plated and on pavement, just ignore me, I'm talking just woods/trails stuff.

There's a niche that seems like only the electrics are filling right now. And getting a dirtbike company to try something that doesnt have a competition format seems impossible.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

There's a bunch of people flipping them and stuff too.
that's where I've been riding

like literally where I've been riding :rofl:

@iRider : a bunch of people I know have those sur rons. Besides the cheapo mtb stuff that everyone replaces (fork, brakes, bars etc) ...

edit: whoa.....actually looks like the american distributor has fixed a lot of the stuff my buddies were griping about early on

be right back

Last edited:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
woods riding is 90% of what I do. My 200lb 125 is pretty much the max of what I consider acceptable, my 250x not even close.

I think everyone's just used to it. I hop on a gasser trials bike and go ride what whould normally be a techinal ride for most people/average mtb ride for everyone else terrain-wise and you just don't need that much mass for bumping or down rocks roots and trying to corner effeciently.

Those wheels, the fork chassis....all made to withstand casing 60ft jumps and 80mph whoops. Not everyone needs that much burl. Least of whom are the majority of 300xcws out there getting dropped all over the place because that much mass is awkward at 2mph.

If youre plated and on pavement, just ignore me, I'm talking just woods/trails stuff.

There's a niche that seems like only the electrics are filling right now. And getting a dirtbike company to try something that doesnt have a competition format seems impossible.
The riding I do is 100% woods, quite tight single track with ridiculous amounts of 24+” logs to get over. Mix of trials and trails.

I do agree that many bikes really suck for trail. I have a 3 mile hare scramble course at my place. I’ve timed laps on a 300xc and a sherco 300 trials. I’m odd for some woods guys amd I like to sit down on really tight corners. Anyway I seem to turn a little faster laps on the xc bike.

But whatever I’m rambling. Long story short about the emoto. I’d love to get on one that is set up like my 300xc. I feel that the electric power would be the cats pajamas for woods riding

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@sunringlerider It sounds like the Emotion could be interesting for you? A friend has one and likes it but he is in his late 50’s and has a farm to use it on. He thought I might be bummed on the range for what I like to do.

@kidwoo The Drill One is a ripoff of Bob Mrazek’s design. Mrazek used to make alu Mtb hardtails a long time ago. He was pretty big on the Euro scene back when @sethimus was sending Eurobike. Mrazek patented a forced air cooling motor design and has a better controller and battery. Without a reduction of some sort then heat will be a big issue so you need high volts, some hefty mosfets in the controller and a high discharge rate battery. From what I understand the Drill One just looks similar but lacks the innovation?

Bob M. tells his side in here. I have a friend with 50 something motorcycles and he ordered a RevX and already has 2 emotion trials bikes. I need to ask him how it’s going.