Quantcast

The importance of Cranks?

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
I've never been one to believe in all the hype about different bike upgrades. I usually go by the motto if it ain't broke don't fix it. But on a whim last week I replaced my Deore crankset with XT. I did it because I was bored and the XT's were super cheap. I didn't expect a big performance boost or really any noticable difference. I just hoped they'd be less likely to fail.

I was wrong. My bike feels SO much more efficient now! This is my first and only suspension bike. Most of the energy sapping feel of the bike, which I assumed was due to the bouncy back-end, has dissapeared. I can pedal longer and harder.

Has anyone else noticed that swapping cranks makes this big a difference? Or did I just get a lot stronger overnight?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Cranks make a HUGE difference... I was amazed riding one bike with standard dura-ace cranks then putting on the DA 10spd cranks and the stiffness difference made the bike feel amazing. Of course this is a road application, but I felt the samething trying out the XTR hollow spindle cranks on a bike.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've never tried cheaper/flexier cranks on a FS bike, but I was riding an old rigid Gary Fisher for a while with the stock el-cheapo (Sugino) cranks on it. Put on some XTs because they were on sale, and I was quite simply appalled at how flexy the old cranks were - I simply never knew. Suddenly felt like I was actually putting power directly to the ground.

I won't ever go back to cheap cranks - I'd much rather save money elsewhere.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
yeah, I don't take 'roids or even push myself that hard so I didn't think it could be physical. I never had a problem with my old cranks until I tried something better. Now, I'd never use the old cranks. It's amazing how different two hunks of metal can be. :p

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm still skeptical, i'm sure you wouldn't mind if i sent over the Olympic Commitee over to your house for some testing...... :monkey: