Quantcast

the random thought thread

Thoreau, 18 Feb 1852, quoting Sturleson [Icelandic sagas]

When Eystein the Bad ravaged the land of Drontheim, “he then offered the people either his slave Thorer Faxe, or his dog, whose name was Sauer, to be their king. They preferred the dog, as they thought they would sooner get rid of him. Now the dog was, by witchcraft, gifted with three men’s wisdom: and when he barked, he spoke one word and barked two. A collar and chain of gold and silver were made for him, and his courtiers carried him in their hands when the weather was foul. A throne was erected for him, and he sat upon a high place, as kings are use to sit...

Thoreau posited that he was descended from a Northman [Viking] called Thorer the Dog-footed.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
When I chainsawed my shin, the saw hit my shin bone and bucked out. - you could see the tooth notch in the x-ray.

The doctor was amazed, he said normally chainsaws cut through bone easily.

I LOL'd and was like dude, I grew up riding BMX. My shins have been hammered on for decades.

Thank the lord for all those pedal kick backs turning my shins into rocks.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Me: *spent 3 hours dismantling all the pivots and bearings in my bike. Cleaned and repacked them with fresh grease, cleaned the axles etc.*

Bike: *still creaks*

Me: *Throws a tantrum*

Fuck me, I'll have to buy new bearings. One thing I noticed is these 6901s having orange covers, as the full compliment ones from Enduro, but still having cages inside.

I'll see if I can get some full compliment bearings to replace the original ones.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Where do they find these students that we hire for coop/intern terms or what kind of questions are they asking in the interviews? I just had to explain to someone that looking at the network icon on the taskbar doesn't tell you fack all, you need to run something like ipconfig /all AS A START.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Me: *spent 3 hours dismantling all the pivots and bearings in my bike. Cleaned and repacked them with fresh grease, cleaned the axles etc.*

Bike: *still creaks*

Me: *Throws a tantrum*

Fuck me, I'll have to buy new bearings. One thing I noticed is these 6901s having orange covers, as the full compliment ones from Enduro, but still having cages inside.

I'll see if I can get some full compliment bearings to replace the original ones.
I spent ages trying to find a squeak on my bike, turned out it was my right shoe moving on the pedal.
I'm putting it down to my right leg being shorter than my left, I can live with that.

EDIT- I should find out what sort of grease nipple is in my pedals

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think I'll give my job two more months then quit.
I'm applying for a job at a place I have worked in the past, I told them if they ever got privatised I'd be back, hahaha!
The job would be more boring but I'm over working at a place that can't afford basic supplies.
Plus if I stay till the end I'll have to help move stuff, fuck that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think I'll give my job two more months then quit.
I'm applying for a job at a place I have worked in the past, I told them if they ever got privatised I'd be back, hahaha!
The job would be more boring but I'm over working at a place that can't afford basic supplies.
Plus if I stay till the end I'll have to help move stuff, fuck that.
How big of a truck are you going to need to move all your tools?

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I'm a big fan of British insults. The ability to take a normal, everyday word and turn it into a devastating takedown of one's entire existence.

Recently, in the comments of some band's youtube, some blokes were shocked to hear they had a political bend and were lamenting about it, and some other bloke referred to the complainers as "melts" and quite frankly, you don't just recover from something like that

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm a big fan of British insults. The ability to take a normal, everyday word and turn it into a devastating takedown of one's entire existence.

Recently, in the comments of some band's youtube, some blokes were shocked to hear they had a political bend and were lamenting about it, and some other bloke referred to the complainers as "melts" and quite frankly, you don't just recover from something like that
What a bunch of tossers.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
sometimes your eyes see what you had not seen and it makes you want to do something.
I was picking up a client from a Senior housing complex and there were 20 or so folks standing out by the main office . I asked my client what was going on. She said they were waiting for the Friday food truck to come as they were all on fixed incomes.
So it touched me. I'm baking a lot of loaves of sourdough bread to add something special for this coming Friday
so far
sourdough for seniors.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Fun toolbox talk this morning, office woman was being a bit annoying so I gave her a verbal resignation.
I have no job to go to so it should be an exciting time.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just when generating? Haven't you stomped onto half-formatted edits of already templated documentation?
That too. I find myself doing wholesale reformatting whenever I touch someone else's documentation.

I don't think it's too much to ask that:

1. The title on the document matches the title of record.
2. Table of contents and all references are generated and linked.
3. Header and footer are generated and the same across the document.
4. Page/section breaks are used where necessary.
5. Font is the same and sizing is consistent.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
That too. I find myself doing wholesale reformatting whenever I touch someone else's documentation.

Ahhh... you funny, young Padawan. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

This is part of why I just use the default theme or whatever in Word. And I wish more people did. It makes everyones lives easier.

Because when they start changing the colours and whatnot, what a pain. Especially if tables are involved.

The worst is reading through something and every other paragraph or section is a different font or size. YES IDIOTS, there is a different between Calibri (body) and Calibri Light. :banghead:

I spend too much time doing this stuff. But part of me just can't release a document with my name on it, knowing it LOOKS like shit, even if the content is good.

This is part of why I just use the default theme or whatever in Word. And I wish more people did. It makes everyones lives easier.

Because when they start changing the colours and whatnot, what a pain. Especially if tables are involved.

The worst is reading through something and every other paragraph or section is a different font or size. YES IDIOTS, there is a different between Calibri (body) and Calibri Light. :banghead:

I spend too much time doing this stuff. But part of me just can't release a document with my name on it, knowing it LOOKS like shit, even if the content is good.
Trouble with the Microsoft themes is that they change with every release, which is a pain in the ass.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I was reading the ingredients of Caesar salad dressing last night and saw they include calcium disodium edta. An FDA approved treatment for heavy metal poisoning. Also, apparently, a food additive.

I wonder what food scientist was like, hmm, this recipe is delicious, BUT it could use a dash of calcium disodium EDTA to bring it to the next level.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I was reading the ingredients of Caesar salad dressing last night and saw they include calcium disodium edta. An FDA approved treatment for heavy metal poisoning. Also, apparently, a food additive.

I wonder what food scientist was like, hmm, this recipe is delicious, BUT it could use a dash of calcium disodium EDTA to bring it to the next level.
Well, they might have thought it could protect you from the kind of heavy metal poisoning that killed Julius Caesar, just sayin'...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I don't understand this trend of replacing all your kitchen cabinets with open shelves.
Easier to see and access one's supplies and utensils.
Why does Henry Ford get credit for production lines when it is well known that the idea came from butchers and slaughterhouses.

Also keeps you busy on your free time keeping the things clean / dusted. Ask me how I know.
and then you get to pick up all the broken pieces after a good earthquake. We have nylon hairbands going from knob to knob to keep the cabinets shut in a quake. I lost a ton of shit in the 1981 7.0 Loma Prieta Earthquake. My house was a little over a mile from the epicenter.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't think I have ever seen anyone wear a fur jacket before except for a self described pimp who sat next to me on a flight to LA. I saw an abundance of them this week. This all seemed a little confusing until I realized they likely engage in a similar trade, albeit at a different tier.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
sometimes your eyes see what you had not seen and it makes you want to do something.
I was picking up a client from a Senior housing complex and there were 20 or so folks standing out by the main office . I asked my client what was going on. She said they were waiting for the Friday food truck to come as they were all on fixed incomes.
So it touched me. I'm baking a lot of loaves of sourdough bread to add something special for this coming Friday
so far
View attachment 208836
and this is where I ended up for delivery to the seniors tomorrow
final bread for seniors.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This guy's dad and then him, used to cut my hair (when I had some). Old school Italian barber, no tvs, just the radio and some soccer playing from some unknown source. Cash only. Place was a tiny hole in the wall, next to a laundry mat. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never know or see it.

The tip always went his mom.

It was great, there was always some other old dude in there just rambling on, so I never really had to make any small talk. :rofl:

Cool to see him carry it on.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Now that bonded carbon frame failures are back will elastomers make a comeback too?
I'd like to try a KHS soft tail with modern geometry.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Cool Whip:
Water, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Skim Milk, Contains Less Than 2% Of Light Cream, Sodium Caseinate (From Milk), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Xanthan And Guar Gums, Modified Food Starch, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Monostearate, Sodium Polyphosphate, Beta Carotene (Color)

At home whipped cream:
Whipping Cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract